Loaded Vanguard board

Hi

i’m looking to build a Loaded Vanguard e-board, here’s my ideas so far:

VESC Alien Drive Systems Electric longboard DIY kit Alien 6374 Sensored Outrunner brushless motor 170KV 3200W XT90-S Anti-Spark 2.4Ghz mini remote controller with receiver

Ok a few questions:

1. What kind of Trucks should I get? Caiber / Cailber II / Paris V1 / V2 / Surf Rods indeez / Liquid Attack Black Star / Alien Trucks
  2. Whats the difference between all these trucks and does it really matter? :slight_smile: will any fit on the Vanguard Board?
  3. Which is better ABEC 11 or Orangatang Kegel?
  4. Can anyone recommend a 10s battery that would be suitable for the Vanguard? or maybe 2 x 5s? or 2 x 6s?
  5. What kind of flex should I get? i’m 75kg

I’m hoping to ride around 25 mph, I live in a pretty flat area so hills aren’t a problem.

1 Like

Hi

Are you in Europe? Have you bought the board yet?

Look at my build thread, maybe you’ll find some answers to your questions

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/topkek-vanguard-flex-2-single-aps-6355-190kv-caliber-2-trucks-10s-lipo-vesc/11022

I’m in the UK, I haven’t bought anything yet, just researching what’s best to get :wink:

thanks I’ll take a look now!

If you decide to proceed with this build, I could sell you my board as I’m looking into buying a different one now, with less flex. I’ve only rode this board for 30 min to see how it performs, it’s practically new

oh why don’t you like the flex? how much do you weigh? :grimacing:

It’s not that I don’t like it, it’s great. I weigh 80kg

I just want a smaller 36’’ deck and less flex. I would keep the Vanguard too, lol, but I’m not that rich :frowning:

Maybe I’ll rebuy it next year, and make a vanguard e-sk8 too :smiley:

I’m abit confused about deck flex, the guide on here says go for a stiff board (which is easier to control at high speeds?) but alot of people say a flexible board takes out all the bumps in the road and makes a really smooth ride, plus the boosted board is pretty flexible.

You are selling the whole E-sk8 or just the Loaded vanguard deck? What price are you looking for?

I don’t know about stiff boards that much, what I know is that the Vanguard is great at high speeds. More people on this forum can confirm this as well. I’m only selling the board, I’m keeping the rest of the parts because I would be buying a new board.

ok is it just the deck? let me know how much you’d like + postage

I bought a few months ago from sickboards for €182

It’s brand new, there’s no extra holes or anything, I only rode it once for 30 min outside to see how it is. Pretty awesome :smiley:

I’m asking €160

Board would ship from Spain

hmm I can get the deck in the UK new for €168 delivered

160€ delivered there in SK :smiley:

[quote=“nonstop, post:1, topic:12653”] What kind of Trucks should I get? Caiber / Cailber II / Paris V1 / V2 / Surf Rods indeez / Liquid Attack Black Star / Alien Trucks Whats the difference between all these trucks and does it really matter? :slight_smile: will any fit on the Vanguard Board?[/quote]

Depends mostly on what kind of motor mount you get. MOST folks here (DIY) go with Caliber II’s as the shape of the truck hanger gives you a solid mount w/o rotation. I ran v1 ADS mounts on Paris 195’s and did not like how frequently they rotated (and scraped on the ground). So personally i’d avoid round trucks. There are ways to fix or help prevent, but even easier is Caliber II trucks!

Both will fit Vanguard. No matter what trucks you get - spend the extra $ and get good bushings setup correctly for your weight! Makes a HUGE difference. Truly.

[quote=“nonstop, post:1, topic:12653”] Which is better ABEC 11 or Orangatang Kegel?[/quote] Vanguard has a lot of room for bigger wheels - so either. It’s preference and like asking if you like blondes or redheads better… I think there are more options using flywheel wheels and gears, so usually stick with them. Kegels are REALLY nice though and i’m setting up a pair to try out more. But you’re stuck with kegels if you go that route. later, rough roads, or want bigger wheels… no bigger kegel options, or softer, or smaller, or less $$$ clones (that i’ve seen). So with all that i’d suggest Abec Flywheels to start. Tried and true, and flexible down the road when you know more of what you like and want.

[quote=“nonstop, post:1, topic:12653”] Can anyone recommend a 10s battery that would be suitable for the Vanguard? or maybe 2 x 5s? or 2 x 6s?[/quote] Li Ion or Lipo? Budget for battery/batteries?

[quote=“nonstop, post:1, topic:12653”] What kind of flex should I get? i’m 75kg[/quote]

[quote]Flex 1 (42"/107cm): 175-230+lbs / 80-105+kg Flex 2 (42"/107cm): 150-210+lbs / 68-95+kg Flex 3 (38"/98cm): 150-200+lbs / 68-90+kg Flex 4 (38"/98cm): 120-170+lbs / 55-77+kg Flex 5 (38"/98cm): 80-140+lbs / 35-65+kg[/quote] I am a big guy and have 42" Flex 1. I like the flex, but still might stiffen it a bit.

Flex = PITA when you are building esk8. The best solutions i’ve seen are OKP and whitepony’s builds, and squad’s… When done correctly i think it looks better than Boosted!

25 is totally doable w/ almost any setup - look at some gear calculators. 15/36 is the most common (enertion’s kit gearing motor/wheel)

There is definitely a trade-off with flex. It does help with bumps, but it is not as capable toe-to-toe with a stiff downhill board at speed (everything else being the same - mostly dependent on skill). I’m not a downhill guy, so that’s just my opinion. I’ve yet to see a downhill race w/ vanguard being used.

There are a couple 3d printable enclosures for vanguard too i’d look at. You will want to separate your batteries and electronics with the middle bare to allow flex. I’m sure you know this, but just a reminder.

thingiverse link for 3d vanguard enclosures. credit to creator!

I know it’s a lot of info - HTH and GL!

1 Like

wow @sl33py thanks for the comprehensive answers

Li Ion or Lipo? Budget for battery/batteries?

Lipo, not sure on budget… cheap as possible :wink:

i’d like a good range tho maybe 7 - 10 miles or more

Yea, well my board is new as well

How about €150?

Guys, please create a different thread for buying and selling :wink: or use PM

1 Like

I am using a Vanguard Flex 1 for my E-board build. I weigh about 70 kg and the board sags approximately 3.5 cm from its nominal height (me standing on the middle of the board). Bit jumping on the board brings it down to about 5-6cm from nominal height. A flex 3 for instance does flex way more and could also bottom out (depending on your weight). I did not like it …

@anon42702729 Are you happy with the Flex 1?

Yes, it’s great but still a pain to mount the stuff since the board still flexes quite a bit. You need to think a bit how to mount the components. Also, as shown above, a flex 1 is several inches longer and therefore heavier than a flex 3 deck but I don’t mind the extra weight. If you can get your hands on a Boosted give it a try (just to get a feel for a flexy board)