Loaded Vanguard and Never Summer Reaper enclosures for sale

Getting ready to spot weld

BTW, I noticed one weird thing when I checked voltages of all 40 cells. The voltages are mostly around 3.58 - 3.59 Volt. But in each pack of 5 cells, the first cell has slightly lower voltage around 3.54 Volt. The lowest one is 3.52 Volt. I hope that all this is within margins of admissible variations. But I am wondering why it always was the first cell in a pack that had a lower voltage.

2 Likes

The safest thing to do is to balance all cells before spot weld them.

Btw on the arduino spot welder I used 9 milliseconds for a reliable weld

Pics or videos of your setup and spot welding would be great if you have the time.

Sure. I am making pictures of all steps. Will post them at some point. Currently, I am balancing all cells on Eboosted advice. Here is my solution for charging/discharging a single 18650 cell:

2 Likes

What is that type of metal? Just some copper props or what?

Looks like a coathanger

This is just two pieces of thick steel wire I found laying around in my house connected by hot glue. Works pretty good. You can use a coat hanger equally well.

Do you still sell them?

Iā€™d love to buy a ā€œloaded vanguardā€ kit.

Yes. Send me a PM I have a set ready to ship, where are you located?

1 Like

Awesome, so your charger works fine if you set it on 1s without balance lead?

My charger has several settings: charge, balance charge, discharge, etc. I set it on ā€œchargeā€ and on 1s since it is charging only a single cell at a time. This way I donā€™t need to connect balance lead. I also set it on very low current like 0.4 A.

Sounds good, my charger has the same settings, Imax B6 V2.

I have the same settings as @sash but I charge several at a time. Works great and cost like 10 bucks to make!

1 Like

If you set it on 1s but charge that many batteries it defeats the purpose of the balance charger right?

Nope, they all get balanced since theyā€™re wired in parallel.

Are you sure? If so that is awesome.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™ve done it a couple of times. It wouldnā€™t be possible with any 2S, 3S and so on though. Then they would get unbalanced eventually.

Sweet, I might try something like this when I build my battery.

1 Like

Just received my Vanguard set and holy shit! The quality is amazing. The price might seem a little steep to some but itā€™s worth every penny. This is will be the last thing to break on my board!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome Iā€™m really glad you got them. Can wait for your project pictures!

1 Like