Load tested VESCs for sale...gauging interest

you can see in this vlog i am actually talking to the new VESC supplier… i suppose its not 100% proof, but it will have to do for now.

At the end of the day all that matters is that you stand behind the product you sell regardless of who makes it. This is why name brand manufactures don’t let just any sleaze ball sell their goods. They want to be sure the dealer is taking care of the customer. So, as long as you plan to do that I think you will be fine with this venture you have taken.

Or are you saying that because your VESC’s are so cheap that you do not offer any after sale service? Is that what all this noise is about?

1 Like

my VESC mission is; best price, quickest delivery, best warranty & best service :slight_smile:

Will also probably offer a no hassle, on the spot, replacement warranty for early failure vesc’s… still working on the details for that.

1 Like

:scream_cat: @onloop Sorry guys didn’t mean to stir things up!

1 Like

@TheRedPanda No worries! I think Jason is getting a little touchy about another supplier coming onto the scene. It wasn’t long ago that I was his only competition :wink:

1 Like

haha… :imp:

Actually, I do want more VESC players on the scene…I really, honestly do, I want them to feel the pain of trying to run a small operation, the agony over constant delays, to bath in the insults & abuse that flows onto our screen each day, to carry the burden of everyone’s experimental DIY electric skateboard failures like they are your own, the joy of covering the cost to fix everyone’s faults even if you had nothing to do with it… it’s a rush…

The truth is, In the long run I’ll probably stop selling the VESC as a retail product.

Once people see the quality I am producing & realise they can buy directly from me in small quanitiy at wholesale prices, cheaper than what the china factories can offer, with a reliable warranty & instant delivery…I suppose I’ll just become a wholesaler. They won’t have the hassles i mentioned above.

I’ve done the hard yards with the VESC, I’ve paved the way & invested over $100K so that the next wave of entrepreneurs can jump on the VESC bandwagon & setup shop to better service the ever increasing demand… So I do actually invite this

buy now vesc only $76 each in bulk qty

VESC resellers enquire now!!

I think your poll results are reflecting the general sentiment that people in general are tired of waiting around to ride. They didn’t want to wait 3 to 6 weeks to get thier VESC in the first place, and if somebody has an inexpensive one they will buy another one rather than look into a warranty claim because they were tired of waiting to ride the first time, and they won’t wait a second time for round trip mailings of things. They’d rather replace them at a lower price, and of course buy them in the first place at a lower price. I have a small bin filled with dead ESCs now and i’d love it if i could have one last more than 10 months with zero issues.

So I’m one of these people. I want the market fucking flooded with VESCs because it will keep the price low and force higher quality in general. I’m tired of waiting on VESCs. I’m tired of fried ESCs in general. I just lost at least one of my 6S FAVs yesterday and i just got that damn rat board built. Its frustrating.

2 Likes

I would buy one. for a secondary board

1 Like

I’d buy one or two, but most likely one for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or are you saying that because your VESC’s are so cheap that you do not offer any after sale service? Is that what all this noise is about?

That’s pretty much my fuss. I know I did my firmware updates right. I know I am also experimenting, but 90% of people buying VESCs are also experimenting (i.e. not using using only enertion parts with their vesc). So does that mean 90% of people don’t deserve to have any recourse when their VESC breaks abruptly, or has issues with low ppm voltage with the only thing having been done before the problem was noticed was a successful firmware update?

my VESC mission is; best price, quickest delivery, best warranty & best service

The best warranty/service is what @chaka offers. If it breaks, it gets fixed, its that simple. IF you want people to trust the VESC, this is the only way. The reality is that NO, the VESC is not bug free. It seems to me that the vesc still has some bugs. I would be curious as to what the real failure rate of the vesc is, but I would be willing to bet it is quite high (i.s. 40% or higher). Your warranty @onloop is that if you get a VESC, you power it up, and you notice a problem, you can get a refund or replacement. This is hard though, because you’ll likely need to configure the vesc in order to test it. In order to configure the vesc, you will likely need to change the firmware. The second you update the firmware, you lose your warranty. So its a catch 22. Yes, you get a warranty, but what good is the warranty when you can’t find the faults covered by the warranty without voiding your warranty?

no way man… if you had a 40% failure rate your business would die nearly instantly…no profit, can’t restock, bad reputation, alcoholism etc etc…

Last time I ran the numbers of reported cases of faults & not including the 25 units that got replaced/refunded from my first batch (they had the wrong caps) the figure was 3-4%

You need to understand that I sell lots of vescs! So just because you read a few people who had a vesc problem on this forum it saturates your mind and makes you think they are all bad… last count i sold approx 800 vesc. so maybe 30-35 true faults

There are hundreds of people who never have a problem with the vesc… Unfortunately Some of them just go pop! It is unknown why… For me 95% of the ones i have blown up is due to my own fuck ups… shorting, wrong settings, braking parts off… the 5% that have failed on me for unknown reasons equates to maybe just 2 or 3 units total.

Even the vesc god himself aka Chaka can’t tell us why it happens, or he just doesn’t want anyone to have his top secret information, maybe he will give us his failure rates as well… seems like I’m the only transparent reseller of vesc atm. :slight_smile: :confused:

I am happy with the vesc so far… With my new US based supplier the quality is going to be first class and if there are no faults we can say the all the errors so far are due to manufacturing faults… But i imagine there will still be failures… somethings just fail…

anyway to put this in perspective, before I sold vesc I sold Flier ESC, my last batch from them had a 50% failure rate! thats when I stop selling their ESC

that is not ture…

you don’t need to upload new firmware… this where so many people stuff up… (at least now a warning message appears so that you can’t easily use the wrong bldc tool/firmware combo)

In many cases the new firmwares don’t do that much. Most vesc come with very new firmware preloaded

my advice would be to power the vesc & run a motor detection, if that works you set to go.

If it doesn’t work post your result on this forum, if it can’t be fixed with settings or new firmware you may have a faulty unit which will get replaced.

1 Like

I have a Mac. When I looked for the tool to configure it, the only one I could find for Mac was for 2.15. I would have to go way out of my way to install a virtual machine or another operating system to get around this, and find one that supports the version 1.14 which mine were shipped with.

2 Likes

unfortunately, the BLDC tool is not backwards compatible, so you need to use the old versions of BLDC tool etc…

available here: www.vesc.net.au

If you do some digging in the BLDC directory there are older versions you can download actually. It’s not super quick to find the exact one but they’re all there.

@onloop : from all vesc you are selling, what is the fraction which is actually running under a deck and what is the fraction sitting on a desk … Nothing personal, it is just that I have two on my desk for more than a year …

3 Likes

Honestly, I have no idea… I don’t call all (any) of my customers to ask them how they are doing… however, that would be awesome in terms of customers service level!

That is exactly how I feel when you say 3%. I had one sit for 7 months, the other for a few months. I think many have not used them, and of the ones that do and have problems, I wouldn’t assume they would all try to contact you. When I said 40%+, I don’t mean fail on arrival. I mean, given a year of operation, 40%+ will/have broken. Some are because how people use them, but that also has to be accounted for in the design of the vesc. From a programming stance point, it wouldn’t be super hard for example to store the version of pcb being used, and make a button that updates the firmware by http requesting to download the files, extract whats needed, and update the firmware. Would eliminate that part of human error, which I think is one part of design the VESC is lacking. This is just a principle of software design. Always assume your user is an idiot, and try to protect your product from said idiots.

3 Likes

Where are we on this. Just trying to see if I should wait or just buy them now. Is someone going to be the contact person incase something goes wrong with VESCs.

I dont have my own board or vesc’s (yet). Does anyone have an idea what the primary failure mode of the vesc’s are? Getting data off of a failed vesc coud help make vesc’s more robust.