Live on Kickstarter! Dash, patent pending modular electric longboard

At some point (I hope) batteries will likely have enough range and charge fast enough to make swappable packs obsolete. But from surveying and our own testing, there’s certain commutes that are on the edge of the range either from straight distance or you made some detours and if you need to then immediately turn around and go back having a swappable pack makes a HUGE difference. The way we designed the enclosure tooling lets us make different size battery packs with no change in manufacturing costs so we’ll have larger packs as well :wink:

Thank you! We really appreciate the optimism. We spent an absurd amount of time on designing every component to be easily manufactured so that we can sell at a price that actually makes sense for young commuters.

Can it only work front wheel? or both sides?

1 Like

So technically you could mount it on the rear but the headlights and tail lights would be facing the wrong way but it would work.

We will eventually have an AWD Dash but that requires some additional R&D to get it working the way we want it to.

Personally I do think they are the future…short term future…but I agree that eventually battery technology will increase to the point that multiple batteries are not necessary. For now though, there are situations where a lot of people will want to have a spare to pop in, myself and @SeanHacker included. I find it super useful on the Raptor with only a 10s3p (and corresponding compartment).

These commercial boards arent custom designed for everyones specific range desires like a DIY is, so selling spares as well as designing easily swappabe components will be a plus in the near term

2 Likes

For me, not so.much carrying a spare battery but having one in the board and one charging means no down time if I wanna ride all day. Very cool.

I’m interested in the forward facing drive as well. I kind of think forward balance could be bad in hit conditions but I’d givebit a shot. (Glad spell check caught that…shot that is :slight_smile:

1 Like

If only my spare got here already! It would have save me from pushing and walking home a couple times. I’m all about a spare battery. :cry:

1 Like

I’d like to know a bit more about the ESC if you could please tell me. Can you share some details about it? Is it made for eboards? What experience do you have in making ESCs?

This board is super dope

1 Like

Why is this flagged? Its a perfectly valid observation.

3 Likes

I didn’t flag it. But I can address the concern.

The previous motors’ primary problem was the urethane slipping, which we’ve already found a solution for. brushless motors like these are very simple, as long as the components are of good quality and the tolerances stay within what we allow them to be the motors are absolutely great.

I would address other concerns but @plastikado458 only specified “all the problems” which doesn’t give me a whole lot to work with.

Looks like a pretty cool design on the battery pack. Would be nice to see this test unit in action. Do you have video on its way?

1 Like

Is it FOC capable? Would be very nice to have a silent ride. Also wondering till when the campaign will run.

Same here, looks really promising.

Please don’t take this the wrong way: I have backed many Kickstarter campaigns, most have been successful. The ones I see fail are the ones who have too many options, it ends up being to much to handle if it really takes off. That being said, the single and dual is a great idea, and needed. The deck length is what I would change, I would have one standard board so you can raise the quantity and lower the price. But in the end it’s not up to me, I just want to see you be successful. I hope you don’t take that the wrong way, I just speak from experience backing Kickstarters.

1 Like

Very valid concerns! What’s so great about the way everything is designed is that all of the components on the single and dual are the same aside from the extra ESC and Motor so that really boosts our quantities. And our decks are very simple so we have the price at a really nice place for production so the 2 decks only change the size of the packaging around it!

There is always a risk we may run into some crazy unexpected manufacturing problem that could kill us but since day 1 we’ve kept manufacturability as one of the top priorities and is part of the reason why it’s taken us until now to launch. We’ve had working product for quite awhile but we wanted to make sure everything is including the manufacturing is scalable and easy to implement.

Video is almost done! :wink:

Launch ETA?

No FOC quite yet, but if you put a vesc in our enclosure you can absolutely have that. Benefits of modularity!

2 Likes

Great response! It really seems like you know what your doing. I hope the kickstarter goes well, I may become a backer, you never know. :wink:

1 Like