List of decent car ESCs?

Whats busted on them?

Perhaps I’ll just wait for a few months on getting any VESCs. First it’s just the wait, second, I’m a beginner at this. I’m good with R/C though. How would I wire or connect two 1/5 or 1/8 (those 120-150A) ESCs together to a receiver? I’ve seen the VESCs have the wire to pair them for duals but I’ve also seen RC Car/ESCs running together as well. Are there only specific models that can do that? It will be probably much easier and faster if I go this route…for now.

What about ESCs for eMTB? Would the car ESCs work?

While the USB programming card is like $20 shipped (which makes it even closer to the price of a VESC) it makes a big difference. It also let me flash some custom firmware from FVT that someone somehow somewhere got from a guy working at FVT that is made for electric longboards. The acceleration curves are MUCH better than the stock ones.

1 Like

Do you have a copy of this firmware any an info about flashing the fvt using this? I love everything about the fvt’s except those curves are not the best… This firmware sounds like a game changer…

Any info and/or firmware files would be much appreciated by the community :slight_smile:

It’s pretty straightforward flashing it once you have the USB card. Just connect the ESC to the programmer and then the programmer to the USB. Then install the software that lets you edit the parameters of the ESC on FVT’s website. These options are nice for tweaking the breaks, and motor timing, but the acceleration way to harsh even on the lowest setting. Once it detects the ESC just select update firmware and select the hgm file of the new firmware. The only downside is once you program it with that firmware you can’t change any of the settings, but I like the way the settings are anyway.

USB Link software

Custom “Longboard” version of firmware https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=179865&sid=367ac6789c8ef5fc0377eec669c1ace0

8 Likes

I got the HK 120A car esc. I use it with a 6s 8000 mah battery and have had no issues.

I do live in the Netherlands and ride pretty much on flat ground most of the time though. At less than 35 euros, I’m quite happy with it.

@jakobnator I am almost 100% sure this is the correct link but just to be sure, I have the FVT 120a,… Is this the correct link? http://www.rcjuice.com/usb-programming-link-for-fvt-esc-s.html

Best Regards, JLabs

Yes, that is the correct one I bought it from the same website too.

If you have the programming card you don’t need that. You can connect the programming card to the computer thru usb

Check this out looks like torqueboards but am not sure either way its a decent price

That is for multi-copter. I don’t think it has brake.

TorqueBoards uses those ESCs except he uploads custom SimonK firmware on them.

Sorry didn’t know, thanks! You just saved me $20!

Wait, so we can just upload SimonK firmware to the esc, and it will have brake function?

Only certain people have access to the firmware. He is one of them.

I see, I thought it was widely available firmware. I remember hearing about it on endlessphere. Also, I have found a cheaper version of that esc at 70a: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Favourite-Eagle-80A-HV-OPTO-5-12S-LiPo-Battery-High-Voltage-Airplane-Brushless-ESC-with/32486227618.html

Couple things…

1. you will also need a UBEC for your controller
  2. Keep looking you can find these even cheaper
  3. requires a bit of hacking to work

Do u mean uploading the code is not fool proof? Also why would I need a ubec? I have battery power

This is a High Voltage ESC- i.e. up to 12s- i.e. 3.6 Volts per cell (lithium battery nominal votage) x #of cells (eg: 12) = 43.2 V which is quite a bit of voltage…RC recievers like those used here - gt2b, mini, badwolfs, flysky ect. have a recomended voltage of 4.8 - 6.0 Volts. UBEC ( a trademark brand ) Universal Battery Eliminator Circuits drop the voltage down to useable levels for servos or RC recievers.

Uploading firmware to HV ESC is not plug and play simple. First youd need the specific software ( not many have it) and then you’d need to load it and reflash the ESC - which is not just a simple usb pluging and download.

I’m not trying to disparage you from working this problem - totally you should go for it, but read some more and you’d learn this yourself. Part of DIY trade touted here is figuring things out. Google is your friend :wink: