LiPo protection?

It’s very cool, but I don’t exactly understand the draw of this compared to just using two 5s nano’s. Wouldn’t that be easier to charge and more flexible in terms of arrangement? Couldn’t we just as easily mount them in this configuration?

…by easier, I suppose I mean that the charger is more common and less expensive in the 2x5s config.

Maybe I’m being cheap at the cost of elegance?

Somebody please correct me if i’m wrong because i’ve not actually had any real experience with running multiple packs in series.

I don’t think you will be able to charge both 5S packs in parallel anyway without removing them or messing with your wiring when using something like a 6S charger. So because of that, it becomes a sort of usability issue to run multiple packs in series. If you have a 10S capable charger then you can use both balanced charge ports and the series’d outputs as the discharge mains and go about your business, but with a pair of 6S chargers or even a Dual 6S charger you’re going to have to take those packs out of series and use the individual discharge mains on each charger. Running multiple packs in parallel, however, allows you to charge in parallel over a single set of connections.

I have heard of people using shunts between the discharge ports to go from charging mode on series’d rigs to ride mode, so to speak. I probably wouldn’t sell a complete using that method because people who buy completes just want to ride and don’t want to concern themselves with how not to start a fire. For the owner of their own home built DIY rig though, that’s fine and a lot of people do it.

1 Like

Thanks @longhairedboy. In my first build, I’m planning to just remove the batteries and charge them individually.

I would give a long, sincere e-hug to someone who could write a tutorial on wiring a lipo (or 2 lipos in series\parallel) such that I could leave them inside an enclosure and charge them without having to disconnect and remove them from the board.

I know there are a few ways to do it (either with a BMS connected to the series, or some kind of “shunt” as @longhairedboy describes), but I don’t think I’ve seen a tutorial or pictorial that really demonstrates how to set it up.

Anyone? Bueller?

You could have the connectors running out of the enclosure and connect them to a parallel charging board. Have a look at this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wj-EB4-71M

Thanks @lox897 this would allow me to charge multiples (although my current charger doesn’t support that)… What I’m really curious about is how to wire the batteries so that once the they are “installed” in an enclosure, they are accessible to charge and balance without disconnecting wires to protect the ESC. For now, I’m going to use an enclosure that is easy to open so I can just charge them on my bench, but eventually I’d like to keep them mounted and just be able to charge them without any disassembly. Of course, @onloop 's space cell would take care of all of this :smile:

I’m pretty sure that once the main discharge leads are wired in series there is no way to isolate them for charging/discharging without disconnecting the batteries from each other. However, you could mount a switch that does exactly that on the box alongside the dual charging ports. Problem is though that if that switch is in the wrong position when you go to charge bad stuff may happen.

1 Like

I have two 3S packs wired in series in my battery enclosure that I charge together as one 6S. I just mounted a charge plug and balance lead on the side of the enclosure.

Thanks @longhairedboy, I think that is something I’ll try later on, once I’ve got everything moving! Yes, the position of that switch would be critical!

@lowGuido how do you combine the balance leads to equal one “battery” to the charger, or does that not matter? Thx!

Right. That works because 1) that’s essentially a 6S pack like you said and 2) 6S chargers are pretty common. Once you try going to 8S via 2 4S in series or 12S with a pair of 6Ss in series you start having problems getting it charged due to a lack of inexpensive chargers. That’s when you have to start disconnecting things and it gets annoying.

This is where the space cell solves a whole mess of problems. Its also why somebody needs to develop a small, cost effective BMS for doing this kind of thing with LiPos.

1 Like

so I cut the black wire off one of the packs and then re terminate the 2 balance leads to one JST-XH 7 pin on the ouside of the box. (the reason you cu off one of the black wires is because the positive of one of the batteries becomes the same as the negative of the other battery when you join them in series.

you could use a lead like this one: this is my charge port:

1 Like

+1 for a “small, cost effective BMS” @longhairedboy I’ve been trying to find something but the descriptions of small BMSs are laughably bad! I can’t sort out what most of them do! It seems like there are products that can handle this, but they aren’t marketed too esk8 builders (yet).

This looks nice @lowGuido … I’m impressed with the accuracy of the Dean’s connector port that you cut. This is a great solution for 6S! I wish I knew how to work w CF. I looked at at plastic sandwich container this morning and thought “I wonder if this could enclose my electronics ands battery,” :sob:

or you know, if you really hate yourself, you could try out Bondo to make your box.

I still have almost a gallon of that stuff and i’m tempted to keep using it until its gone. Or until my wife leaves me and the neighbors move away or the SWAT shows up thinking i have a meth lab in my garage.

2 Likes

@longhairedboy I was actually avoiding it based on your feedback specifically, and considered that good advice!

LOL what Is your gripe with bondo?? It has its place.

The smell, the smeellllll!!!

I used it to make my box and fill in the channels after in-laying my motor wires.

I almost died from the funes and my wife is still complaining.

I was in the garage, with the giant garage door open, and had a fan.

Also it tends to warp and flake a bit.

hey man what you have done to your enclosure is exactly what im looking for to do in mine for the charging ports only difference is i have a 12s (3s1p 8000mah x 4) would you help me with this (maybe you have pictures of the inside of you enclosure or drawings) ,basically i want to be able to charge it from outside the box what would i need and what kind of charger will i have to use to achieve this?

@lowGuido what method did you use topermanently fixed your ports to ur enclosure?