Linky portable e-skate

Don’t forget the Yard Sasquatch. Looks great in every garden!

1 Like

That’s a lot of leverage. You’re sticking the weight away from your center of gravity.

Nice design, they’re claiming 160wh battery from 18650, and at full length and the board is 33 inches, 10" wide.

top speed is 17mph.

They will need to beef up the hinges, if they want to take on our heavy consumers instead of lithe females. Plastic trucks and hinges have to be very strong, but it’s probably a good engineering choice if you manage it.

1 Like

The design is attractive! They have to strengthen the mechanism anyway It seems to be something different from the normal electric skateboard. It will be nice to bring it inside the hand luggage in the plane! Let’s see when they will launch the production…

They’re going to do a kick starter in a month, and it’s got more battery than a boosted board. 160wh. It looks like they went with HTD 3 mm pitch with an idler pulley drive train (smart)

The engineering looks solid, and they’re making everything purpose built, Custom trucks. glass-fiber nylon probably.?

The charger should be minimum 200w according to the literature, without accounting for any charging losses. The hinge and the fast charging are definitely innovations.

I think it should be single drive, and if they can put a 12% grade with a 210 pound load that seems more than enough. Don’t forget it’s still a folding light weight design. Single motor is improved range, too.

If everything is injection molded, they have a better business model than boosted. The BOM is less $ since they don’t have to pay Bear for trucks or Loaded for a deck. The parts are going to be cheap if Kickstarter pays for the injection molding start up cost.

I think other boards are probably more fun, but this is a very practical Board.

Lighter, slower, more range, 83mm wheels, faster charge, and tiny. That folded package is amazing.

Yes, I think kickstarter is the perfect stage for their launch. If they’ ll do well on the campaign probably we will have the opportunity to try one Linky. I’m quite curious :smile:

The funny thing about linky is, if you check on their website linkyinnovation, u will find that the countdown is always at 28days. hahaha.

@Long_Stunt I just flew with my Boosted as my personal item. I did call Virgin Atlantic in advance and a skateboard is considered a personal item approved as carry on. TSA supervisor asked me to tell them what type of battery was in the board (found out after) their only concern was what type of battery was in the board magic word was LITHIUM. (Guess too many of those cheap Chinese balance boards lighting on fire has spread the bad news fast all over). She said the fires was main reason lithium was not allowed. Good thing I read the Boosted Boards website and quoted them: “Our battery is UN38.3 certified for commercial air transport and is under 100Wh capacity. We are compliant with the regulations regarding transport of the board on most passenger planes.” I left out the word most when I quoted it. FLY safe my friends.

2 Likes

I think the trasportation is allowed for batteries under 160wh

Thanks for the info @Long_Stunt. Just found this on TSA site:

Pack Safe

Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)

Rechargeable and non-rechargeable lithium batteries, cell phone batteries, laptop batteries, external batteries, portable rechargers Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only.

When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, all spare lithium batteries must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin. The battery terminals must be protected from short circuit.

This covers spare lithium metal and spare rechargeable lithium ion batteries for personal electronics such as cameras, cell phones, laptop computers, tablets, watches, calculators, etc. This also includes external battery chargers (portable rechargers) containing a lithium ion battery. For lithium batteries that are installed in a device (laptop, cell phone, camera, etc.), see the entry for “portable electronic devices, containing batteries” in this chart.

Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.

Quantity limits: None for most batteries – but batteries must be for use by the passenger. Batteries carried for further sale or distribution (vendor samples, etc.) are prohibited. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101-160 watt hours per battery).

Batteries must be protected from damage.

Battery terminals (usually the ends) must be protected from short circuit (i.e., the terminals must not come in contact with other metal). Methods include: leaving the batteries in their retail packaging, covering battery terminals with tape, using a battery case, using a battery sleeve in a camera bag, or putting them snugly in a plastic bag or protective pouch.

3 Likes

Finally they are on kickstarter !!! The video is awesome! Sexy product : D

Looks like they use TB-style mini remote and enertions steez controller while prototyping the board :ok_hand:

1 Like

For anyone interested in getting Linky, is available on Indiegogo right now. They are offering some nice looking product with cool features. Check it out!

There’s an afordable option called:

$99 USD RESERVE NOW/PAY LATER Down payment of 99$ (Non-refundable); lock in your purchase of Linky at $749. Pay remaining balance at end of campaign. [MSRP €1099 - save 32%!]

If someone is actually getting Linky, please use my referral code.

https://igg.me/at/linky/x/15382233

Indiegogo Campaign: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/linky-the-foldable-electric-longboard-travel#/

UPDATE: Swappable Battery Pack

Source: Linky’s Indiegogo Page

* We’ve done some further work on the battery pack in order to make battery removal simple - this in response in particular to airlines’ continued restrictions on batteries and our desire to make Linky air-safe. We’ve made the design of the battery pack MODULAR in order to make it possible to remove it in about 5 minutes, with a set of tools we will provide. Here’s some details:

* Modular design: 5 minutes to remove the battery for maintenance reasons or for air transport.

* Linky will ship with the tools required to open the battery compartment, which is made with highly resistant rigid plastic.

* If required, you can transport the battery separately from the skateboard on an airplane as carry on luggage. In this way, Linky will be a normal, non battery powered skateboard that you can either bring on board or as checked luggage. The battery, on its own, has a Battery Management System and is approved (homologated) for air transport and can be brought in carry-on luggage.

LINKY Update:

New Electronic

We have focused our studies on the soft start and the soft brake as they are features that can strongly affect the riding experience and the safety of the riders. We are really happy with the results obtained. The riding mode “cruise” is provided with a soft start ramp and a smooth brake.

We are thinking to introduce a sort of " hand brake " mode that will keep the skateboard more stable when it is still. Who is used to starting the ride pushing and then accelerating will find it a little bit weird. What do you think about this feature? Below a video. Please don’t care about the aesthetic of the remote and the skateboard. They are “mules” used for testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf8I0jPPenE

New Trucks

We made Linky to cruise into the city! We want you to have a lot of fun but even to be able to ride avoiding the obstacles that you can find on the city streets and to turn on the classic 90degrees corner of a downtown.

Here our latest version of Linky’s trucks, you can almost do pirouettes! they are quite fun to use :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2imjXSwyMI

Hey everyone, first time posting on the esk8 forums. I’m looking to get into the E-Board hobby. The DIY stuff is fascinating, but I’m on the fence about DIY vs Prebuilt. Right now I’m still in research mode.

I’m super curious about Linky and really would just like to hear some more opinions from people who have been in this hobby a lot longer than me.

What do people think of the speed and range specs? 18.6mph and 9.3 mile range?

Also, 10% grade is pretty great, they even have a video of the board tackling a 20% grade, how does this compare to a DIY board?

Thanks guys, I appreciate anyone’s help.

Cheers.

1 Like

Johnny, I made my own DIY board a couple months ago. DIY are way better regarding top speed and range, but they often look bulky (except if you are really good with diy stuff and count with some machines as cnc, 3D printer, etc). My board went 40 km/h and had a range of 20kms, I backed Linky knowing that won’t even get near that, but after all is a nice finished product that you can’t take with you everywhere without having to worry about anything else.

Thanks for the response, Hooch.

Yeah, that’s how I feel as well. The DIY performance looks amazing, andI feel like that it is something I might do for the future if I really get into to the hobby, but right now I kind of want to just try something out. I’ve looked into the Koowheels and the Benchwheels, and they are contenders, but I worry about their reliability. Linky is still an unknown I guess, but the quality seems really high for the price point.

It’s good to know that you have done to DIY and still ordered a Linky. Have you tried the Benchwheel or Koowheel?

1 Like

Those are chinese boards, they work well as long as they live. They can die on you any time, reliability is an issue with chinese boards. I worry about my safety, so I probably won’t buy any chinese board.

I think building your own can be made to look just as beautiful as a store bought.