Li-Ion battery pack without bms!?

What vesc do you use?

Both Focboxes and Torqueboards VESC’s.

How did you made the vesc to cut off at a specific voltage?

This is completely incorrect. @ZackoryCramer pls refrain from providing input if you’re not sure you’re right. When it comes to batteries, incorrect information = :fire:

4 Likes

You got me brotha :pray:t2: Thanks.

3 Likes

You may want to read through this: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/new-vesc-user-read-this-complete-walktrough-of-the-vesc/2980

You can set the Start and End voltage.

Wrong, lithium doesn’t self balance, that is on the serial connections, on the parallel it obviously get even voltage in the same group

The main example of self balance it’s lead acid, that when the cells reaches a given voltage it’s stays there and starts to warm to dissipate th excess energy

With lithium if you keep increasing the voltage the cell will keep increasing and then something bad will happen, that’s why it’s recomended to use a BMS at least for charging

If you use quality cells the internal resistance is almost the same in each one, this way the energy loss as heat on each cell is almost equal so no significantly imbalance will occur

Of course in thousands of cycles this diferences add up and the difference can grow to an unacceptable level

Edit:

To make and exception if I’m not mistaken sony had an self balancing chemistry

1 Like

Hey I concur with you brotha. :smiley: But @mmaner seems to be getting away with it though. Maybe there are discrepancies we should sort out. :face_with_monocle:

Sure, with quality cells it will take a long time, take @whitepony as example

With greater number of P cells it gets even better, since you average out the differences of each cells by joining them in parallel

Im not arguing that fact, it should only balance within the same group. If its because the chemistry and resistance is almost identical, or because the little battery beasties like me more than anyone else…couldn’t say. I just know that after almost a year its still balanced.

3 Likes

The beasties must like me too!

2 Likes

How do you know the cells are balancing themselves? It could be just that the cells have very litttle difference brotha. :kissing_heart:

On multiple occasions I have measured each cells beginning voltage before charge and re-measured after charge. It shows that there is up to a 0.6v per cell deviation. After charge there will be, typically, a 0.25v deviation per cell. After sitting overnight the deviations is typically .1v at most.

Strange. The cells seem to have memory of each other. :ghost: you should record every charge over night voltage difference, because we want to see how the cells progress over time brotha. :jack_o_lantern:

I did for about 3 months, got tiring. I do it about once a month now. I will eventually stop recording all together if it stays at the limits I described.

I’m thinking about using a VGA header to make a balance plug and then cooking an enclosure up for a BMS, so I can balance charge multiple packs with a single BMS.

1 Like

So If I just use the bms for charging and not for discharging I don’t have to spend 100+€ for a 100A discharge bms. I will say my vesc’s they have to shut down If my batter voltage goes down to 30V (or another Voltage). Theorethically I don’t damage my battery with over discharge. Is this right or I’m just retarted? :sweat_smile: Alex

No, you absolutely can damage a battery with over discharge. You can use the VESC to set the voltage cutoff values, so using a BMS for discharge only is acceptable. Its not the safest, but many people do it because they keep on eye on the pack voltage.

So I have to spend a lot of money for a 120A discharge bms? :slightly_frowning_face:

No dude, if you don’t let your pack voltage get below 2.9 per cell you are fine. So set your cutoffs accordingly in the VESC and it will cutoff voltage when it reaches that limit. You can use a charge only BMS so that the cells are balanced and charged correctly, and discharge directly to the VESC/VESCs.

1 Like

Oh okay now I understand, sorry :sweat_smile: Thank you very much for your time