Li-Ion 18650 Battery comparison

i think the price tag is the reason why noone sees them around

I’m really torn to use the Sony VTC6 batteries, 20% more range is really appealing

It is! If you have the extra moneys and get genuine ones

1 Like

HI think my next build will be a 12s4p VTC6s. But it won’t be until the summer.

Afaik only liion wholesale has authentic in the us.

Vtc6 batteries do not deliver the rated performance. Actually they are not even better than HG2 cells. So no need to pay the higher price just for the sony name.

Edit: i posted a discharge curve some time ago when they were brand new and I wanted to show them to @whitepony

I cannot post my research but it usually falls right in line with what Henrik has on his site.

VTC6 vs HG2 @5A

VTC6 vs HG2 @10A

VTC6 vs HG2 @15A

E:upped fixed images. As you can see, VTC6 have not only more Ah, but also less voltage sag, which turns into a nice gain in energy. E2: @5A its roughly a gain of 0.8Wh/cell or 8.5% and it only gets better as your power draw gets higher.

1 Like

I see different measurements when I look online:

The difference is only marginal Also they warn about the temperature increase. The Sony got to 85°C at the end of the discharge - that is quite high. In this 30A discharge test they even had to abort the test because the temperature of the VTC6 increased to >99°C.

Images coming from this thread: http://www.mountainprophet.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=711&sid=8c850b30be24c76d0f9a174c750fc7be&start=10

I am a big fan of the Samsung 30Q. They only have a little bit less performance than the VTC6 but cost only 66%. At https://eu.nkon.nl/sony-us18650vtc6.html you get the VTC6 for 5.85€ for 50 and the Samsung 30Q https://eu.nkon.nl/samsung-inr-18650-30q-3000mah.html for 3.90€ for 50.

also the problem with the VTC6 is that they seem to have a bad cycle life. Should mean they perform great when they are new and after like 25 charge cycles they are not better than a HG2 anymore.

Here is the discharge curve to compare Sony VTC6 to Samsung 30Q.

1 Like

I’m not sure what his methods are. Henrik details his methods on his website and his results usually match my own test results using an iCharger duo 4010with temp sensors in a large temperature controlled room. I say usually because I am in bed and cannot confirm that the curves matched in my tests (I did them a few months ago).

Problem with 30Q is that since they are only rated at 15A their performance could change from batch to batch. The current tests show that the batches so far are capable of much more - but that does not have to stay this way.

1 Like

Differing results are still reason for concern - I doubt that the guys at the forum I linked to are doing some crazy test methods.

1 Like

Adding to @Maxid’s point, it’s hard to source them in the US. I only know of nkon as a reliable supplier

I kinda want to cycle the cells I have now until they have 40-50 cycles and test again. I usually don’t do this since for my work purposes, they’re a one time disposable use cell… (Can you believe there are no primary lithium cells that are more energy dense?!? (In volume))

You use Liion cells just once? :scream: You should do group buys and sell them :smiley:

Shamefully, they’re tied to a government contract so we have to store them in our back shop in case they come knocking on the door for everything once the project is finished.

Plus theyre all welded in massive burly packs. Maybe good for ebikes, definitely no good for eskate

You can also get the Samsung 30Q here http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_399866.html for 4.18$ if you buy them in a pack of 8 with free shipping to the US.

1 Like

I think the 30Q is the best battery for us at the moment. Really nice tested specs and for that price tag they outperform everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi guys, any update ? I would like to build a 10S3P for my eskate.

should I use Samsung 30Q - LG HG2 - LG HE4 or Sony VTC6 … 3Ah is geat (VS 2.5) but I would like a good quality …

thanks !

can´t go wrong with the 30Q!

I don’t have any graphs or anything, but I can tell you this–using them in mech mods for vaping (the type with no chips or regulation, just an atomizer directly connected to the battery controlled by the ohms of the coils you build: lower ohms=faster battery drain and more amps pulled), and I can tell you this; I’ve used all the batteries discussed here besides eFest (all the major brands, Samsung, LG, Sony) and by FAR the Sonys light these things up the fastest and with the most power. They’re the best by far. Samsung’s are good, for sure, then the LG’s, but the Sonys come closest to having the actual current amperage as advertised. The others? Sometimes I think they pick a number between the constant current and surge amps and try passing it off. I don’t have the links but I’ve seen the numbers and tests done on YouTube. But that’s direct battery to device, I don’t think you can get a better guage than that. Anyway, that’s my two cents :wink:

1 Like