Lets break down the California Electric Skateboard Law AB - 604!

completely separate from my other post, what kind of boards are you guys’ using that are going “in the high 20s”. Even the $1500 boosted board can only go 22 mph

We build them :slight_smile: There’s been a couple 40mph+ boards built here, @Deckoz built one with like 20+ miles range (probably more) for just shy of I think $1900 before adding some custom gearbox

Jason’s right, building is one of the few ways you can get that level of performance. Hell, there’s a guy here building something that has a target of 70mph.

1 Like

Build one…Present it as a building opertunity where you will learn principals if engineering, math and construction.

1 Like

I would be down to build one, but I would want it to be high quality for less than $500, will electric skateboards become cheaper anytime soon, should i wait a year until in 15? Just checked on ebay and you can buy a boosted board for like 400-500.

I could also wait till i’, 15 (1 year) and then buy a used boosted board v2 for pretty cheap

No one can predict when the prices of electric skateboards will drop. To some degree the better quality stuff is just getting pricer. Magnet prices have sored through the roof the last year for example.

I would say you can build a good quality single motor for around $500, but single motor boards need to be used carefully if your not under 130 lb. they will be fun a first but quickly lose their fun.

A dual motor board will run at least $750.

I agree that going the approach of using it as a learning experience is the best idea. At the end of the day though you have to leave it up to your parents though. I don’t know where you live and how the cops look at this kind of thing where you are. In sf for example the cops wouldn’t look twice at you. But some of these small towns where the cops are dicks will. You have to trust their judgement.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH wut?!? sorry but I weight well over 200lb and I run 5 single motor eskates that cruise well over 20mph with ease and go at least 35mile apiece…what’s this bull about single motor eskates? get a 125kv 2000w or above and its perfectly fine, lol…

Single motor won’t cut it if you eboard in SF like @evoheyax or I do, trust me. Weaker dual hub motors won’t cut it either. I only weigh 155 fully geared and I’m would most definitely not be happy with a single motor. A 6374 or a bigger might get me where I need to be, but it would not allow me to go 25+ up large, long hills, especially not from a standstill or slow start.

ok so there’s exceptions like super hilly cities, but where I live such statements are simply untrue and therefore subjective…not everyone riding eskates lives in SF…so the point is moot…I climb plenty of small hills in Sacramento while on the trails but generally the city is pretty flat in all directions for well over the range of the boards we use…oh, I’ve done the group rides in SF with my single motor build and did just fine…so my personal experience also conflicts with the statement and assumptions…just sayin…

Group rides in sf always avoid hills as much as possible. I’m used to going up 10-15% grade hills on a dailey basis over and over again.

A lot of people get board with single drive boards. Heck, I started getting bored with over 6000 watts under my feet. I will be building even higher very soon.

Everything in eskate is subjective. Heck, everything in the world is subjective. A lot of people will say boosted boards are the best. Not on this forum, but in the real world. Again,. subjective. You don’t need to be a dick about it.

I never felt the need to be a dick dude, I simply disagreed with your opinion…if difference of opinion gets you that butthurt, take a step back and go fucking skating…for reals…

1 Like

Maybe you experience that from sitting on the computer for too long, So

is great advice because that means getting up, It is recommended that you do that every 20 minutes to avoid getting Arthritis etc,

I’ve heard that “Fucking” is a good activity so Maybe good advice also! and skating can just be cruising on a push-board which is good exercise.

The most important parts about this Bill are that every city can make their own laws, including banning electric skateboards from roadways in their city’s. We were kicked out of Coronado tonight because of this. Also Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol is supposed to report on bill 604 to the Legislature, on or before January 1, 2021 to give the findings of accidents and other changes caused by the passing of this bill. So this year we might get a new law based on the findings.

There is DEFINITELY a reason why not to have us go the speed of traffic.

One, we register a disparity of speed. Two, if you speed wobble, or avoid pothole, etc, you could be flung into traffic, and the higher the speed, the further into traffic you could go.

Me personally, I think 15 mph is fast enough. I only go twenty for moments.

I live in a retirement community, so if they give me trouble, I just point out all the bluehairs gunnin their golf carts.

I think going faster than 15 while passing folks, is rude. I can easily live with the spirit of the law.

The problem is with cops that are told to harrass some sector, like Esk8s. Or those on a power trip.

If they give me too much trouble, I will sue for dissallowing my PEV device. I am disabled with heart failure.

To add, the faster you go in street, the less you can slow, if a car disregards you and turns right across you.