LBC Hyper Drive - 50mm Axial Direct Drive

It’s a problem they ran into very early during the development of the Carvon V3 (kickstarter update link) It is not an issue anymore. And it might not be an issue here either. I really just do not want @JohnTakesPhotos to make the same mistakes.

Really cool concept dude. There is a lot of interest for sure. I’m currently set but will spread the word around, goodluck

1 Like

If your directdrive can compete with carvon’s, i’d totally get one. However, i think you should do some prototyping and actually make a working version that you can show to the public before making a kickstarter out of it.

2 Likes

This would be a reason I’d be interested. Having a shortboard with less noticeable/smaller motors without sacrificing real longboard wheels is definitely a good thing. Dual 5065 is more than enough power for most applications. Sometimes stealth and size are what is needed.

6 Likes

@Papperlapp fixed :wink: Added 7.5mm to each side, sowould pair perfectly with paris 195’s.

I don’t have the capital or time to make this a thing, so the file above is open to anyone who has any interest in making their own. gl

https://a360.co/2L2gKXa - just motor https://a360.co/2N2N4Hj - Full assembly

@b264 it’s better than 5065! The stator is the same length as a high end 6375, just with a smaller diameter.

7 Likes

I designed something like this before, I was going to take the @fliess route and go use off the shelf motors

1 Like

Your design is fantastic! This other one does look great as well though.

1 Like

@JohnTakesPhotos, nice! I also wanted to make 2nd DD build for smaller wheels, but I don’t think Fliess4 will ever happen :expressionless:

All, Not sure if there is much interest in this project but I spoke with John a few weeks back and offered some help to get a lower quote than he was originally provided. I have someone who is helping me source other products non esk8 related market and with him being in China and speaking Mandarin let me tell you… you don’t get the BS run around and price hikes with Alibaba sourcing. Some uncommon knowledge about Alibaba sourcing, you can find manufacturers but you never know if you are dealing with a true manufacturer unless you visit them. Most contacts are Dealers/Agents who raise prices for their cut of the pie and Manufacturers will commonly only use a dealer or agent so our guy becomes that person to get the best pricing available without raising it for his cut which brings some major transparency.

Because John really had the vision of this being an open community product we are trying to keep the price as low as possible without affecting quality. As far as build material types and or redesigns, just add to the post and if we lock down the pricing for a first run we will hopefully get these as quickly as possible for a group buy. Similar to the ESCAPE VESC6 Project - profit isn’t the goal here so you are practically getting this product at cost price. WHy? because it may not be retail ready, I would consider it an alpha/beta product until tested and proven otherwise.

What else do we need to know?:

• You pay the obvious shipping and import taxes depending on your country.

• Shipping logistics won’t be to much of an issue except for the normal Import Taxes depending on your country.

• As I receive information regarding the quoted pricing I will post to this thread. Cross your Fingers we get a damn good deal because this would be amazing if direct drive could be accessible to a large part of the community at fractions of the cost that everyone else is charging out there.

18 Likes

keep us updated !!

I really wanna go direct drive.

2 Likes

How could we manufacture your motors on our own? What can we do with the files? I have no idea how brushless dc motors can be made by DIY so maybe its pretty straight forward but I have no clue ahha

So unless u can punch stators u will almost always have to acquire stators first… after tht its a matter of winding them and securing them to a truck and cobbling a can and wheel adapter

1 Like

Any updates?

Provided material typeTo manufacturer as of last friday, still waiting on response. My contact in China had taken the weekend off so he should have something for me tonight.(california)

2 Likes

i was looking at your fusion drawings. the amount of the axle that can screw into the aluminum hanger is pretty small and looks the weakest link and seems worth adding to. the temp ability of those magnets surely isnt 300 c.

the output power they gave you would likely be based at an ideally high rpm which you wouldnt be running at.

you said the stator has a 14mm bore and i think i measure the axle is 12mm…thats very thin material supporting the stator especially if it’s aluminum. maybe it’s adequate

there are a lot of teeth in the design to orient the magnets. if you cut the teeth off it will be much cheaper for them to make and you can position the magnets with something else either 3d printed or something. youre going to want to use wider magnets as well for better coasting and lower temp. the teeth will be very small

5 Likes

So I’ve got some quotes back and the price is varying. One manufacturer. 1st: 7075 materials(100 sets order): USD 110/set

6061 materials(100 sets order): USD 112/set

Or $300 single order, this is not with compplete Motors mind you, stator price pending and you’d have to wind the phase wires yourself.

I’m still working on price for fully build motors.

P. S. New design is in works from original poster so I’m waiting for the motor files to get itemized pricing for only motors then we can price the build out better.The current design is specifically for people to wind their own motors…(again missing stator pricing) . Which may not be suited for most folks.

5 Likes

@Jaraya92881…what the update on these bad boys are they still in the air of maybe being a next product for us …these would be great…I’d buy some for sure … Carvon owns this market big time …those drive don’t even make a hour before sold ppl battle it out to pm first LOL…it like minits AND SOLD …some how I got a SDR one day …and I’m building it now …but I know it will be to wild for Toronto congestion as I’m looking at your deck you have designed…

1 Like

Sorry for lack of an update. I had quotes from 2 manufacturers but the design changed and I need the new files from @JohnTakesPhotos hes a student and probably busy so I understand the delays. Let me follow up with the last pricing, the parts on the first request were only the housing, wheel adapters and truck cc milling so I need specs and files for stator, motor, copper wire type eetc. If I get that or if someone else get me the designs I’m all for getting these quotes for you guys at a lower cost than it would be to buy any of the direct drives out there now.

Just need the specs… I’ll email John again.

1 Like

@fliess any interest in getting some major manufacturing quotes for your direct drive? Obviously it’s your product, you control pricing etc but nobody else other than carvon and torqueboards is working on these type of drives from my knowledge. I’ve got so many other things to worry about for pulse so …well we ain’t in the market to make these and spend the time designing our own version so best I can do is get you guys to the manufacturers and if its affordable for people to pitch in, itd be pretty epic . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This would be amazing to get some more info hey @hummie I hear and I’ve been reading lots your next in line for some superior hub drives …how about a team up to build a new set up …the hummie double Ds nom saaying