Landyachtz EVO 36 Falcon 2018

Good point! I did buy fiberglass since I’m sure I’m going to F…up so will follow your advice. The carbon fiber is 200gr/1m2 thickness. I’m going to use west system epoxy for the job since I have a can of it from carbon fiber work on a RC sailer. It’s brown ish like you can see from the 3D print that I coated with one layer of epoxy. I’m not sure if this will show once it’s in with the carbon fiber but for the first attempt it’s function above looks and then I can make a second one where I learn from some of my mistakes. I also think this is to thick at 27mm so might have to do a thinner for later anyways.

Oh I mix resin with a kitchen weight so the mix is according to west systems spec. I’ve done this on previous work and it’s pretty accurate.

We need more pictures of Falcon builds :smiley: Im testfitting wheels and enclosure. Might need to step up that riser a bit :joy:

5 Likes

I’ve got another one on the way. I’m gonna build a Ollin style offset front and rear with it, always wanted to try that.

5 Likes

I made my first attempt at making an enclosure today. I suspect this shape isn’t the easiest to start with lol :stuck_out_tongue: I have done 3 layers of 300gr/m2 fiberglass coated with west systems epoxy between the layers and then 2 layers of 200gr/m2 on top. I put on the layers wet-wet and was supposed to have another layer of carbon fiber on top but I ran out of epoxy. This will be a total of 900gram/m2 fiberglass + 400gram/m2 carbon fiber or 1300gram/m2 thickness total. Is this gonna be solid enough or do I need more layers?

9 Likes

@Minim, very nice work dude on enclosure! However, I still do not understand, why people prefer fiberglass enclosures to let’s say from Kydex :confused: I just love this material, it handles any abuse, you can slide with it over curbstones, it’s much more elastic, handles minus temperatures.

I do see only 1 reason why fiberglass could be preferred - it’s easier to make enclosure of any shape with it. Sorry for off-topic, but maybe you can shed a light for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thnx!

I’ve never heard of kydex tbh. I only saw that many where doing the enclosures in fiberglass/carbon fiber and figures that I’d try that as a first build. I never saw anyone mentioned how thick it had to be tho so maybe this is to brittle. The epoxy is solid stuff but as you say it’s prone to breaking. Only time will tell I guess. Will look further into kydex :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounds like it will be very strong. Plenty of thickness there. It looks beautiful too!

4 Likes

Sounds plenty strong to me, as long as your resin to cloth ratio is good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Resin is mixed 1:5 by weight so I hope it’s good. That’s how I always mix it for when I build carbon RC-sailers and I’ve found it to be the most simple way. Some pictures here. It sure needs some cleanup and since I ran out of epoxy it could do with one more layer on top for the looks of it on the outside. Will gently sand it and put on another coat once my order of epoxy arrives.

11 Likes

Finally home from a business trip and able to do some more work on the landy. Nobody else building theirs? I cut the case clean today and sanded/grinded the inside to clean it up after moulding. I applied west system epoxy + 404 high density filler so it was thick enough to fill dents and pockets inside so it’s flat and nice. It feels kinda thin so I’m tempted to do a last layer of carbon fiber on the outside before coating the top. It’s just so much work that goes to waste if it cracks when I’m done building…

Vesc6 (escape) is in route for next week and so is the BMS. I will try to mill vesc6 alu cases tomorrow so I’m ready for when it arrives.

9 Likes

@mmaner built his i believe

im waiting for my 40’’ evo to come, i cant wait!!

Do I need angled risers? Im using the 50 degree caliber 2fiftys

1 Like

You’ll be fine, you can tune them later with wedges and/or bushings. It’s a little difficult to tune but out of the box on 10/50s it’s pretty good.

With caliber 2 10/50s it rides pretty good. You may want to look at my Glory build…

Battosaii’s Nimbus…

and Dexkoz’s Master Evo…

4 Likes

Just tested a 12s4p battery on the Falcon, there is enough space for a full 12s BMS and two focboxes

12 Likes

Yours are way cleaner than mine :stuck_out_tongue: Still haven’t received my beestech 80A bms but I think 12S4P Dual VESC6 and discharge bms won’t leave much room in my enclosure.

3 Likes

Got my 80A Beestech bms today and it’s a snug fit up there… Might have to make some custom vesc cases with a lower profile so I can fit them side by side. Kinda mixed feelings about that discharge bms now that I see how huge it is…

2 Likes

You could stick the escapes up front and go front wheel drive?

1 Like

I suspect that it would give me traction problems with two powerfull hub motors that should have massive torque.

@hummie swears by front wheel drive.

1 Like