Landwheel L3-X Reviews

The company is revel boards now. Revelboards.com I believe

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I do appreciate everyone help on this thread! I am really busy with work and life currently that I have no time for myself let alone try fix my land-wheel, hence my frustration at Jason and the land-wheel team.

When I get time again I will try read up more about what solutions to look into as you are all very skilled and have a lot of knowledge as to how this all works. I think my issue is the batteries have very very poorly made connectors. On the charger if I bang on the battery is shows it want to charge but then shows fully charged even tho its dead. I have had my batteries looked at by an ebike shop and the cells are all mostly all balanced so it must be the connector or BMS. I guess the only solution is to either try using meepo parts or somehow fix the batteries connectors.

This is going to sound really noobish but is a VESC a ESC ? And can any BMS be used on the landwheel batteries given they are from the same maker as the VESC/ ESC?

Many thanks and also thak you @Mikenopolis and @revel_flo

Thanks Revel. Just replied. Cheers.

From your description, your charger is behaving in a manner indicaitng the Landwheel battery is damaged. My opinion is that this is usualy as a result of over depletion. Typically this is from trying to squeeze too much range out of the battery or continuing to ride after a power down. For those who still have functioning landwheel battereis, its avoidable by powering down as soon as the last blue dot starts flashing. The very first vibration alert is another good signal to power down and swap.

Iā€™m guessing Byron, that you only have one battery and that its damaged. A different BMS is not going to help you.

So connecting a different battery from another manufacturer is one good way to resurect the Landwheel. You just need to make sure the peak voltage off the charger is up around 42 volts. 42.5 is perfect. 40 is too low. The landwheel ESC will check the voltage when you power it up. If it finds less than 40.5 volts, it will shut down during the start-up cycle. So the blue light will come on for a microsecond and then turn off. I found that with 40.1 volts I could get the L3-X to start-up if I pushed the button six to 10 times. But Below 40.1 volts it was hopeless.

A VESC is a programmable ESC designed by benjam Vedder. It has programmable settings including minimum and maximum battery voltage.

Hi Paul. Thanks for the reply. So I have 4 batteries. After reading this thread I never over deplete the batteries. I know you mentioned this too me before and I took your advise. Of the 4 I have, only the one works and not 100%. Its enough to go 2 km but any more and I literally dies at any time. Of 4 batteries, 2 of them have this charging issue, one of them kinda work and the last one is a complete dud. I will try the six to 10 times button technique.

I will get a voltage meter this week and check all the voltages on the batteries.

Thanks for the clarification on VESC vs ESC. Cheers.

I tore apart my revel landwheel and used different batteries on the system.IMG_20190311_112735869 IMG_20190311_112717951 IMG_20190312_104102681 IMG_20190312_104109875 IMG_20190312_104027523 IMG_20190312_104051130 IMG_20190312_132116335

So thatā€™s interesting. You put landwheel hub motors on the front and belt drive motors on the back. Which power tool bateries did you use? What are the specifications for volts, amp hours, watt hours? What does the volt meter say fresh off the charger with the two bateries in series? YOu may have noticed from my video that I did something similar with 18 volt rigid batteries. The peak voltage started off at 40.1 volts which was just barely enough to start up the L3-x. Eventually the peak voltage was lower (after a number of charge cycles) and the L3-x would not power up any more. Iā€™m curious what your battereis add up to. Whatā€™s your range? Why did you choose a hub/belt drive combination?

Requiring 10 button pushes to start up was an observation, not a solution. Two power tool batteries in series output 40.1 volts which was barely enough to start-up an L3-x. After a number of charge cycles, the peak charge voltage dropped just marginally and the L3-x would blink and then shut down during the powe-up cycle. Extrapolating from that experiment, you need to choose a replacement battery that has the right voltage range or you need to switch to a vesc.

Also, donā€™t run the L3-x on damaged batteries. They have no capacity to absorb the Regen current so you can blow the ESC during braking.

1 Like

Here is the Landwheel V2 Travel Skateboard powerd by power tool batteries. The voltage from the two battereis in series was very muchin the sweet spot of the V2 ESC. More than 11 km of range. Crazy acceleration. The only weakness was climbing hills.

https://youtu.be/RS5_tFmskoY

Havenā€™t had a chance to test my voltage cuz my voltage meter broke also I havenā€™t had a chance to hook anything up to a computer the landwheel does not hook up to the computer so I canā€™t really get much out of there but itā€™s not just the land will hubs the entire plan will ESC running the front system I could about a 12 mile range out of the front system if I connect my front system to the rear Milwaukeeā€™s I get about a 20 mile range but when I have my rear belt system setup I get about a 17 Mile range. The rear systems actually setup on two Vanda vesc and I havenā€™t had a chance to plug those in either because my computer is not capable of it so I have to get a new computer then Iā€™ll have more accurate readings of what my board is doing but current setup itā€™s running great lots of speed if my motor is in the rear didnā€™t blow the other day in San Diego Iā€™m guessing Iā€™d still be hitting about 32 miles per hour. I went with Milwaukee because they have the longest amp hour range at five point 0

I ran the battery in series inside the mounts. I took the mount from the drill itself IMG_20190320_130831476

1 Like

Also with the belt drive being a 1500w set up I kick the rear in as a booster

I donā€™t plan on it as I cannot actually go anywhere with those batteries. As for the button presses, noted. Thanks Paul.

@Byronel buy some Milwaukeeā€™s drills with the 5.0 red Lithium, Wire it up in series, You canā€™t go wrong. Milwaukee offers warranty on the battery. Anyway get some vescā€™s if you can Fully customizable they are. You can use whatever power tool battery you really want cuz I really like the look of Milwaukeeā€™s and theyā€™re strong and pretty waterproof. also I donā€™t know if any of the other companies for power tools are putting the redlithium 5.0s which give me the max range

if everything goes right today Iā€™ll be rebuilding it doing a tear down and maybe I can show some actual pictures of my build not just the finished product for all of us landwheel revel lovers lol

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Let me know when you get a voltage reading.

Thanks pk

1 Like

Hi Paul, hope all is well your side of the pond.

These are my 4 landwheel batteries at full charge:

Battery 01: 42.2v Battery 02: 39.6v Battery 03: 34.1v Battery 04: 36.9v

Does this mean the batteries have dead cells? If you do have time to check that would be great. Many thanks.

Battery 1 has the correct peak voltage. If it is in good condition otherwise, the range can vary between 2 km and 4.5 km. Each time you ride beyond the range limit, cells can be damaged. Temperature, weight and how hard you accellerate or ride up hill all reduce the range on each trip. The first vibration alert indicates time to power down. If you stop at the first vibration alert and go through a charge cycle, you can gradually build up the range of most lithium batteries including the Landwheel batteries.

Batteies 2,3,4 likely do not have enough peak voltage to power up the landwheel. If they do, thye wonā€™t go very far. Maybey only a few feet. Most likely one cell is damaged in each battery. Thats my guess. Some have restored batteries like these by disassembling them and equalizing the batteries with a single cell charger. From what I understand one cell is usually damaged beyond restoration. I have no experience with either method that myself. Working with lithium battery cells can be dangerous.

If you live near california, you might want to team up with @ShutterShock He is looking for dead landwheel batteries and he has the skill to swap good cells for bad cells. He may be able to caniblaize one of your three bad batteries to repair his own battery and maybey two of yours.

Others have gutted the Landwheel batteries and replaced the cells with tesla style cells. But the example that I saw left no room inside the battery for a BMS so they taped the BMS to the exterior of the battery.

Other than working with @ShutterShock, your best option likely involves connecting the Landwheel to a third party battery. Just make sure the peak voltage off the charger is in the right range. 42.5 is perfect. 41 volts might be enough as long as the peak volts donā€™t drop too much over time.

1 Like

you know, it just occured to me that I had a Material Safety Data Sheet for the Landwheel batteries. It includes the manufacturer of the battery. It may be possible to order the guts of the battery for landwheel ownsers who would like to remove the guts of thier landwheel battery and swap in a replacement core.

This is the manufacturer:

I donā€™t have the time to persue this myself. @revel_flo It might be easiest for you to work with Jason or directly wiht the core manufacturer to see if there is possibility of a bulk purchase of landwheel battery cores.

Your thoughts?

This might help to identify the specific battery to the manufacturer.

Thank you very much Paul, appreciate it. Unfortunately I am in London. Will try figure out either how to do it or find someone who can.

I am a 3D designer and I have wondered about giving the land-wheel battery a little bit more height in the centre (think where the logo is), This would allow for Tesla batteries and a BMS inside one housing. Does anyone here on this thread have access to a 3D scanner? I could redesign the housing and share the 3D printing file if they could send me the 3D scanned file.

Thanks for the help Paul.you are a legend.