Landwheel L3-X Reviews

@esk8jpn did you add an anti spark switch on your build? I am wondering if there is already an anti spark built in the esc, because I can’t see it when I opened the battery case

I think LANDWHEEL’s ESC does not have an anti-spark switch. I did not add it even in my build. :joy:

Does anyone know if Land-wheel is still supported? I have had no feedback from the company with regards to a broken device and I think they are now gone or reforming to another company?

If your Landwheel ESC is functioning properly, you don’t need an anti spark switch. The V2’s and V3’s sparked when you inserted the battery. The V4 does not spark.

I know the company is still operational but no other detail in terms of support. This is the last person I dealt with there

Simon Lee Shenzhen Landwheel Technology Co., Ltd. Whatsapp/Wechat/Tel: +86 18344294552

Address: Room 110 Building B, Zhigu Science Park, Xixiang Road, Baoan District, Shenzhen, China

The website is decomissioned. So that’s not a good thing. www.landwheel.com

That probably means the emails are not going anywhere.

1 Like

Yes, after purchasing my landwheel and 4 batteries, all of them failed to work as well as the device. I mean completely failed. even after installing a new ESC. I think I kept getting sent dodgy parts. The owner Jason said to me Landwheel was a bust and a let down and that he was starting another e skateboard company. I was told I would get a free board once its up and running as I couldn’t get any refunds… A few months later I get no reply’s etc. Had a feeling it was all a lie. Not a good sign for landwheel owners. The lesson I have learned is to spend a bit more on a US or EU board.

As the thread says Landwheel L3-X Review, my review is to stay clear. I wasted $700 on this peice of kit and many many hours trying to fix it.

1 Like

Make the best out of it: Get a dual VESC derivative and enjoy the hub motors unleashed.

2 Likes

@Byronel

Visnu has a point. There are lots of ways to fix a landwheel. My take on the landwheel experiment is that it all came down to the batteries. it was an unconventional choice. The plus side of that choice was a rapid discharge rate that supported spectacular acceleration. The downside of the choice was that the same battery also had a rapid voltage recovery rate that allowed riders to run the battery down to automated power down, then restart the landwheel and keep running. That was contrary to the usage instructions but alot of riders including myself did just that. I figured that out after wrecking my first two batteries doing long range tests. I bought 6 more batteries and none of them failed with the proper usage. So the batteries could be durable, just not in the way that many riders use them. This problem is not unique to Skateboards. I wrecked an EGO 54 volt chainsaw battery by over depleting it in the same way that I did to the first two land wheel batteries. Now I have a half dozen Ego power tools and batteries and no additional batteries have failed becasue I use them properly. I’ve seen others wreck boosted board batteries over depleting them. It’s a characteristic of many lithium batteries that running past the first power down is the kiss of death for a battery. Landwheel batteries did have limited range so they encouraged users to mis-use them every time the rider tried to streatch out the range.

I sympathize with your experience. Its no fun to spend a lot of money on something and end up with it being unusable. I also sympathize with Jason who set out to make what he though was going to be the greatest electric skateboard and encountered so many more problems than he expected. He paid a heafty price for what in my opinion all came down to a battery that was not well suited to the expected range and usage patterns of most riders.

I overcame those limitations for my self by doubling up the drives and buying enough batteries to swap my way up to 20 kilometers of range. By rigerously powering down at the last flashing blue dot, I’ve traveled many hundreds of kilometers with zero battery failures.

I know Jason is trying to regroup and I wish him well. If he learned all the lessons that were to be learned from Landwheels V1 through V5, then he may ultimately suceed.

At this point, being bitter won’t get your landwheel up and running. Vishnu has one solution which is to repurpose your landwheel hubs. They are spectacular and can be unioned with a pair of Vescs and a conventional Skateboard battery or even a Mepo replacement battery.

However, there is a simpler solution which is to replace the battery only. It’s a pretty simple task to patch a conventional skateboard battery in to any version of the Landwheel. The result is longer range than landwheel riders are accustomed to and virtually the same acceleration curve.

Recently, I’ve experimented with connecting the Landwheels up to power tool batteries. I’ve actually assembled two of these. One is made with a V2. The second is an L3-x. you might wonder why I did this if I have six working landwheel bateries. The answer is that I made these as air travel boards. Landwheel battereis are questionable by some airlines becasue any lithium battery that is associated with a skateboard is questionable. Power tool batteries are accepted without question.

Both landwheel boards work when powered by power tool batteries. Especially the V2 (which was famously unusable when it was shipped) transforms into a top notch electric skateboard. Power batteries are super cheap. Two in series output 41 volts. So far my only caution is that the V2 has no brakes when the batteries are fresh off the charger. But moments after burning off a few joules, the V2 Brakes are rock solid.

So you have lots of options to get back on the road. There are some private forums up here where Landwheel riders collaborate around VESC settings. I can invite you to those forums if it interests you.

When I’m done my vacation testing of my “Rigid Landwheels” I’ll post some how to pictures, Instructions and maybe a video.

2 Likes

@KaramQ Just tagging you so you can read up on the pros and cons on the Landwheel you recently got . Read the post above about proper use of that battery

@revel_flo Do you know of an email contact for Jason of anyone at Landwheel that might be able to help with @Byronel’s issue. As I mentioned to you in our PM. I’ve always been pushing towards LW’s improvements, so if they are still planning to sell future products it’s best to offer support. Not saying that you have any say in their operation, but please forward this one to your contacts.

3 Likes

Going to mod mine and use a 10s3p battery I’m getting soon

2 Likes

@KaramQ in case you didn’t know, their sensor wires are not in the same order as other motors.

Why are you buying another battery if you plan to use a new battery pack?!? waste of money if that’s the case

2 Likes

I bought it a while ago, and figured I might be able to mod it, it’s just an idea, didn’t finalize it yet

1 Like

@Byronel Just sent you a PM.

If anyone has problems with their Landwheels please get in touch with me. I can’t promise I can fix all of your issues but if I can help I will. :facepunch:

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

Hi there, Xavier here, fellow landwheel owner from montreal.

Im new to electric longboard and I just got the l3X gen5 second hand. I tried to buy a battery on the web but im not getting any answer from the original seller. From what I read on this post, the company is dead.

Can I be added to the mod group you where talking about ?

Im quite good with tools, but I have to be honest and tell you I know next to nothing about electric construction.

Anyway, any tips would be appreciated.

1 Like

Lets, say I bought a meepo battery. How hard is it to replace the original battery pack ?

Thanks in advance,

Xavier

1 Like

I invited you

3 Likes

Easy. especially if you buy the Meepo enclosure. Then you bolt the Meepo battery and enclosure to the front of the board and the L3-x drive to the back. Two wires to jumper the meepo battery into the L3-x drive. Suggest you disconnect the L3-x terminal block to prevent shorts and don’t make any use of any damaged L3-x batteries and don’t try to combine the Meepo and Landwheel battery to run them in parallel.

I’ll be posting a video in a week or so showing how I replaced Landwheel batteries with power tool batteries for the purpose of a travel e-skateboard. It worked. But a Meepo battery would be more suitable for daily use and group rides. Get as large a battery as possible. The L3-x is capable of massive acceleration. But it needs a serious battery to get the most out of it. If the battery can’t keep up, it will limit things like up hill acceleration. The L3-x ESC likes a battery with 42.5 volts fresh off the charger. Check around to see if a 36 volt Meepo battery will give you that or if there are other batteries that are more suitable. The two 18 volt power tool batteries (wired in series) output 40.1 volts fresh off the charger. Its barely enough. The L3-x thinks its dealing with an almost depleted battery so its touch and go for the start-up. Sometimes takes 20 pushes of the power to trick the ESC into starting up. I found that the power tool batteries changed with more charge cycles. The range capacity increased dramatically but the peak charge voltage dropped marginally. That small drop eventually made it impossible for the L3-X ESC to successfully power-up. No such problems with the Landwheel V2 ESC. It was built for much lower voltage. A Landwheel V2 is actually a formidable skateboard when powered by a larger battery than came with the V2.

Since you are seeking to restore an L3-x to full function, see if you can find a Meepo rider to tell you what the peak voltage is fresh off the charger before you go out and buy one. It has to be somewhere between 41.5 and 42.5 volts for you to expect good results. The other option is to pick just about any battery and swap out your ESC for two Vescs.

Be careful running the L3-x on any fully charged battery with brakes. The L3-x battery comes off the charger under charged to support full battery braking. If the battery has no capacity to absorb the Regen current, you can fry the L3-x Esc. So if you swap batteries to something other than Landwheel, you need to run a few blocks without brakes before braking. MUCH LONGER BEFORE YOU HEAD DOWN HILL.

2 Likes

Here is a video that covers several potentially useful topics:

• Replacing Landwheel batteries with a battery from a different manufacturer
  • Creating a travel E-skateboard that should satisfy all TSA and Airline policies
  • Wiring tips
  • Electronics Cover fabrication tips
  • V2 Restoration Tips
  • Minimum peak voltage
  • Range expectations
  • Top Speed expectations
  • Hill climbing Expectations
  • Performance and ride expectations
  • Proper care of all lithium batteries including but not limited to Landwheel batteries that are still in good condition.
1 Like