Landwheel L3-X Reviews

Hey @Byronel EU orders will either come straight from China, or through an EU distribution center. We’ll make that call when we have the final number of EU pre-orders. Definitely not coming from US though, and sounds like that is a good thing! :grin:

I can’t wait to get it… but I have a problem I need a landwheel battery the v4 akku is :skull_and_crossbones:. I live in :de:

I just finished my video review of the Revel Kit

it works whif Sony 35A. I charge it 3 times no problems whif balance

Looks really cool. Do you have an order link for the battery holders? I assume they are not AA sized.

Also, potential risk is that if you hit a bump that causes one of the cells to disconnet for a second, you could pop the ESC. So you might want to think about having a second battery in parallel. Maybe a Mepo battery or something like Germane’s hover board battery.

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/landwheel-l3-x-reviews/45697/432?u=pkasanda

hi Paul I hope you are Allright. yes the diyebattery it is a cool hack. I spend 60€ for this build. there is no space for the battery I can’t pull easy the battery out, I must help me whif tape around the battery so I can grab and pull. Interesting is i have no cutoffs!! esc make no trouble and the range is a little bit shorter. battery :battery: Sony 2600 35amp. I need more old landwheel battery to build…thinking whif 21700 4000mah… and I wait for my new revel… I hate waiting

Cool Project Thanks for the pictures and ordering links. I sent you a private message re battery cases.

Jason just posted that the Revel Kits have shipped. If you have ordered one, you should join the conversation here:

https://forum./t/revel-at-the-brand-new-competitor-in-the-direct-drive-esk8-race/1374/181

Hi PK, here`s lemon, the chicago guy who bought 2 L3Xs with u last year if you still remember. Really appreciated that u added me in the family group buy and i enjoyed the L3Xs very much.

I moved back to China last summer and disappeared for a while in the forum becuz of the fire wall of the government. I`m happy to find the way back to this old forum and the group. Very excited about the totally new generation —revel kit !! already ordered a 216wh kit.

Whats the most amazing part is that i find i live in the same city as Jasons factory locates!! So i just went to his factory and got the possible 1st mass product of new revel kit in the world this Friday!! LOL

Where should i post and discuss things about the new revel kit? Still this forum or the new link u just posted?

1 Like

2 Likes

Hey Lemon:

Of course I remember you. Wow, its so cool that you met Jason in person.

I think you should post in both places. The forum is a better public forum. I see you already have some posts there.

Its my understanding that electric-skateboard.builders forum is now engineered to make it harder to find info on products that are competitive to the products sold by the founder of this forum. for example, if I search on Landwheel and L3-x, I can’t even find the “Landwheel L3-X Reviews thread” The only way I can find it is to look at the list of my previous posts and messages.

Be sure to read my massive post on how to take care of eskate batteries and how to manage down hill risks.

https://forum./t/revel-at-the-brand-new-competitor-in-the-direct-drive-esk8-race/1374/185?

Great to hear from you again.

Thanks for remembering me hahaha. i really appreciate the posts u put in the forum, especially the reviews about the new revel kit prototype. U never know how much help those informative and detailed posts did to me and my friends. I decided to buy the new kit once i heard the news because the L3Xs brought me lots of wonderful time. but I did read ur posts and check ur videos many times before i made up my mind strongly recommending the new kit to lots of my friends. I even translated some of ur posts to Chinese abstracts to discuss with my friends. LOL. Im glad we have 6 men in the China Revel group now. Ill keep our group updated about discussion from both forums.

Yesterday, i did some test ride with revel-icarus. the ride is pretty enjoyable, which is smooth ,responsive and reliable. the brake is also powerful during the ride at normal speed. I just feel the acceleration of my mass production kit is not stronger than boosted or exway pro and max speed is about 45-46 kph with full battery and 90mm wheels, which are a little different from your prototype kit.

Another thing i want to talk about is the brake at very low speed. i felt that the brake power turned to be weak when i braked to the end, which makes it a little difficult to park my self precisely as i want. There was also some slide when i pulled full brake,trying to be still on the slope (5-6 degrees). not sure if u came across such conditions during ur tests. I`m now waiting for the feedbacks from my friends.

This is one of the negative aspects from my experience with direct drives. Stopping on any incline is disappointing

Lemon:

The boosted board G2+ on Speed 4 definitely accellerates faster for the first few seconds. That’s because the Kit is moderating the rider’s input so there are no sudden jolts. Its safer but you won’t win a short 25 to 50 meter race against a boosted board. But as soon as the first two seconds are over, the Kit has a much stronger acceleration curve. It catches up to and passes the boosted board. That’s my experience.

Make sure you are on the fastest Kit Speed. I have never handled the new remote so I don’t know how simple or complicated it is to change speeds.

I think you also know that there are three different brake settings.

I found the Kit prototype brakes to be perfect for my weight. Just like the acceleration curve, the braking curve is intended to be soft when you first pull back on the remote.

Make sure you are not using the remote like a boosted board remote. On the boosted board you have to pull back on the remote a little slowly so you don’t fly off the front. With the Kit, you pull back 100% on the brakes then you can release later if you don’t want to slow down as fast.

I did not test the revel Kit prototype on many hills. Yes, a boosted board can maintain position and even back up when you are on a hill. The Landwheel was never perfect at maintaining position on a hill. So I understand your criticism.

In general, the Revel Kit brakes were perfect for me. I found them very safe and very effective. But different riders like different things when it comes to brakes.

Very powerful brakes are great when you use them perfectly. But when you make a mistake, they can throw you on the pavement. So I prefer very safe brakes over very powerful brakes.

As far as top speed, treat your batteries well and they should become stronger after 6 to 12 charge cycles. That might help you hit higher speeds. My prototype had already been ridden by Jason for many months. So when I recieved it, the battery was already broken in.

What? You get a higher top speed after 6-12 charges? How?

Stronger batteries support faster speeds because there is less voltage sag with higher capacity battereis

The ESC used in the Kit is very similar to the L3-x. Jason developed the L3-x ESC it to solve a sudden cut-out problem that occurred with the very early V4 Landwheels. The V4’s would accelerate like a rocket until they suddenly cut out. As an electric skateboard accelerates, the battery voltage drops. The V4 basically accelerated until it hit critical voltage and then it would cut-out.

So for the L3-x ESC, Jason programed in a pacing algorithm. The ESC monitors the battery voltage and as the voltage drops during acceleration, the ESC throttles down to reduce load and keep the battery above critical voltage.

Consequently, a stronger battery will give you better acceleration and higher top speed.

One example of that is the L3-X riders who connected two batteries in parallel. Their L3-X drives accelerated much faster and reached higher top speeds.

Naturally, a damaged battery has the reverse effect.

We also noticed with the L3-x that range increased from the time it was new. Jason advised us that this would happen and I certainly observed that it was true.

My son and I notice similar improvements with our boosted boards each spring. They sits idle all winter so the first few rides in the spring have very short range. The range improves with charge cycles and gets back up to the normal range after six to ten charge cycles.

So if you put the two ideas together …

• more speed from stronger batteries
  • New batteries gain capacity with proper charge cycles

Then, it is certainly possible that the Kit top speed might improve with some proper charge cycles.

However if the batteries are over depleted then the reverse would happen. So eskate riders should always stop on the first vibration alert instead of just slowing down to squeeze more distance out of a battery. Think of your battery like it is a horse that you care about. As soon as the horse is exhausted, you need to let the horse rest and you need to feed it. If you just keep riding the horse at a slower speed, you can travel further but you are doing damage to the health of the horse.

Similar experience with hub motor systems like exway and backfire but they seems slightly better than my revel direct drive.Not sure how about other direct drives.

As a boosted rider for most time, Im wondering if its possible to add boosted brake mode into revel system. Users can change to their preferred brake mode on the remote. Exway pro supports this and i think it`s practical.

Paul: I see what u mean about the race between boosted and revel. For me, the acceleration of revel is pretty linear, making it very smooth and controlable. I think boosted acceleration is more dynamic, which makes me feel more passionate and excited.

the new remote is still simple i think and has more great functions while I feel that the acceleration throttle range is a little long and the brake throttle range is a little short.

Uploading: y2.jpg…

For the brake, I prefer safe brakes over powerful brakes too. As far as battery performance, i just used 3 cycles. ill wait and see how it is after 10 cycles. The top speed of mass production may get slightly limited. Jason told me speed over 45kph consumes much power and put much load to the whole system. so its possible that they lower the top speed.

If you want more speed, then A second battery in parallell or 4WD is a sure fire way to do that. That’s been my experience. I’ve always used multiple L3-x batteries but others have paralled in third party batteries.

Rememer that Jason’s ESC monitors battery voltage and throttles back when the voltage starts to drop. So more amps of battery power results in less voltage sag which allows the ESC to operate without holding back

For 4WD, i’d be really surprised if the Revel Kit did not go significanlty faster than a 4WD L3-x. I guess i’ll find out soon