Landwheel L3-X Reviews

All, the Revel Kit is now ready for pre-order on our website. Check it out!

1 Like

Landwheel x3 .Hey Paul I wanted to post a few pictures 1. to the slight click noise it’s just the bearings I’ve disassembled a motor and I noticed that there are slight tolerances in the production also the slight squeezing of the engine but not bad, everything is well greased and runs free objection. When changing the bushings, you must be careful that you do not pull too strong on the motor cable sensor and thereby hurt. you are right that the 4 wheel drive is incredibly strong and so far unbeaten my son with 50kg drove against a diyeboard with monster engines 52v ca.1500 € board and it had no chance in acceleration. I have connected the balance cable between the drives and installed a charging socket whereby I can charge both batteries. i have limited my charger to 41, 8v with diodes so i do not have any problems because i live on a mountain. Regular control over the regular charger is a must for the BMS to readjust. All my 5Batteries work well 1 v4 Battery which I drive only in v4. a friend with whom I pass these passion parts we tours where I take a 5amp charger with me. This sport fills me up a lot and I’m a skilled motorcycle mechanic and Esk8 is a nice replacement because I gave up the hobby of my family after 3 serious motorcycle accidents (long distance cup). plus some pictures and my costum board190704_073527_COLLAGE-120190621_202912 20190703_162720IMG_0879(1)~3 the next project the hollow deck needs a lot of parts in clear for the next time …enjoy your ride

So I know you are all going to be insanely jealous but I convinced Jason to send me one of his prototype Revel Kits. Would you believe that a single revel Kit accellerates faster than a 4WD landwheel. Its true.

O my gosh its strong at acceleration and fast. Smooth acceleration and smooth braking but fast. It’s actually stronger at accelerating than my 4WD quadruple battery Landwheel L3-x. My 4WD landwheel is the fastest skateboard in Ottawa by far. It leaves Evolve GT’s behind like they are standing still. The revel Kit is significantly faster.

Zero to 20 mph in 13 seconds. I had it up to much higher speeds but forgot to save the “map My Ride Workout”. I’m guessing I hit 42 KPH before I had to let off. The pivot bushings need to be tightened and I’ll swap them out for top quality pivot bushings before I try to hit top speed. I can already tell its going to be above 50 kph.

I compared it to a 2WD landwheel. The revel kit accelerates so much faster. And the brakes on the revel kit are so much better than the L3-x brakes (which were pretty darn good brakes).

I like the Revel kit brakes better than my 4WD brakes. The brakes are so effective its hard to describe.

My daughter took some video and drone footage. I’ll post it after she edits it.

3 Likes

Hi @Germane

Awesome 4WD build. Cool remote. Spectacular plexi glass board on your 2WD set-up. Is that a Jellyboard? Nice motor repair tutorial.

Hi Paul I’m terribly jealous that you’ve gotten such a putty I’m impressed I think I’ll sell my collection 1oder2 of them .jellyboard? my wife gave it to me for birthday but it comes from USA and it has a flex1 but heavy but damn noble only for Sundays in cleaned parking garages … :blush: for all who want to increase their range cheap I have this battery 10S2P for 69 ¬ eBay bought and works well with BMS only pay attention to the charge not over 42v20190704_172816 IMG-20190703-WA0000 20190704_163604

So you use the Landwheel battery and the booster battery together? Thats really cool. Can you post a close up of the battery Label. I’d love to know the model number. How many WH? WHats your range?

Screenshot_2019-07-05-08-09-17~2 all together 15km whif me

Thanks. That’s Awesome. DO you think it would also work as a primary battery for people like @bearbois who wants to build a VESC based landwheel or @kapitalstocken who does not have any working Landwheel batteries?

Unfortunately, I do not know exactly what happened with his battery is the v4 Battery was also down below 35 v can not be charged with the charger was always on green so I took a good battery and connected it in parallel and lo and behold the lamp went on red the battery did not go higher like 40.7 but i figured she has some bad cells she works for my youngest 8 years v4 well the remote control brake i have limited so he can brake well so why should not it for capital sock with the starterbattery The main thing is a 4-pin battery is inserted for the return current

pity that your Landwheel was crunched ESC I assume that the red plus cable has gotten 1 short with the frame and therefore has destroyed everything … I’ve also considered spraying plastic spray the frame to avoid this danger minimize the starterbattery which I have additionally connected works great with me100kg ca15km range and the price is right. ps: clearly the cells can not be high quality but it still works

So I leared a few new things about the Revel Kit. The front Trucks are new and about a half inch wider than the L3-x Front trucks. I did not notice that at first. So I was using an L3-x front truck becasue I assumed ther was no difference. With the L3-x trucks, I had a speed wobble even after tightening the pivot bushings and also upgrading to bones bushings. After swapping the Revel Kit front Truck on to the board, the speed woble is gone. I’m pretty sure I hit top speed with the proper trucks. It seemed faster than 50 kph but I did not have my cell phone with me to measure top speed. Tommorrow, I’ll go for a long ride to evaluate range.

1 Like

51.1 kph (or faster)

So I went for a long ride with my ottawa riding group. I have the 216 WH battery.

I was able to travel 17.5 kilometers on a single charge. However, I was riding pretty fast (above 30 kph for most of the ride and the route was mostly up hill. I gained 50 feet in elevation. The last three kilometers i was riding on a solid red dot with flickers of blue. I switched to economy mode and streached out the ride to get the next charging station. So 17.5 KPH was an absolute maximum for my weight (206 Lbs) and the route that we took. If I rode any further, I would have been on flashing red. I wish I would have had a spare battery to swap in.

I then recarged over lunch. Charging was very convenient becasue the Revel Kit has a charging port built in. only had to carry the charging brick with me. The charge time is a little long but it seemed on par with the other boards. ONe rider wiht a boosted board mini extended range was able to get his batery up to 92%. I think we charged for over an hour. My charger did not switch from red to green but I was able to get up to a full charge indicator on the remote. So I was probably also at 92%. If I had the newer version of the remote I would have had acces to battery statistics.

We got back on the bike paths and rode for another 15 minutes. I dropped down one blue dot which confirmed my charge was less than 100%.

At that point,I had a drag race with the whole riding group including a modified Evolve GT. The GT rider had upgraded from the stock 100 KV motors to 200 KV motors. This evolve GT was a lot faster than other evolves that I raced.

Anyway, we raced from a rolling start at 11kph. He pulled ahead of me by about 10 feet. That lasted for about 45 seconds-- then I blew past him. He was probably 200 meters behind me by the time I hit top speed.

I hit 51.1 kph but had to ease off the throttle as a matter of safety. I would have to make some additional changes to my pivot bushings in order to have felt comfortable going faster. I estimate the board would do at least 55 kph if I invested more time in tuning the board for high speed stability. Considering I just slapped the drive on a Loaded Talib Flex1 Dance board and swapped/tightened the pivot bushings, the stability at 51.1 KPH was pretty amazing.

Now, the Evolve GT rider said he had to stay below 75% throttle in order to maintain control. I believe him. His board was very powerful. I rode it briefly. Punching the throttle was enough to throw many riders off the back of the board. His brakes were good. The Revel Kit brakes were far superior.

I think the big difference was control. The revel Kit is a really solid ride which is why I was able to blow past him while he held back on the throttle.

Interestingly, his remote control told him that he hit 53 kph. “Map my ride” told me that I maxed out at 51.1 kph. I’m not sure what is more accurate. But if he actually hit 53kph, then I hit 60. But I don’t think thats the case. 51.1 kph seemed about right.

So its official, a single Revel Kit Drive is faster than a 4WD Landwheel L3x both in acceleration and top speed.

The following chart shows our drag race. Check out the last big spike. You can see we matched speeds at 11 kph then raced. the acceleration curve on the Revel Kit looks like a perfect straight line on a 95 degree angle. You can see the same behaviour in the braking curve. I think I used almost 100% brakes to scrub off enough speed to make the right angle turn that was ahead of me.

One last comment is that 4WD likely has some high speed stability advantages over 2WD. I cant really make a 1:1 comparison becasue my 4WD setup has a Loaded vanguard Deck. But I did take the 4WD machine down the exact same path last year at 49.1 KPH and I recall it was effortless to maintain high speed control. It took some concentration and corrections to keep the 2WD Revel kit on a tight line. I don’t know how much of that was due to the different deck choice but I’m sure some of the difference was attributable to 4WD.

1 Like

Hey @pkasanda

nice review.

What do you use the wheel size? For the same battery voltage, the same motor KV, the maximum speed depends on the wheel size.

Same wheel diameter as the L3-x. 90 mm.

What I learned today is that maximum speed in practive depends largely on the straight line stability of the entire system. If I had a death wish, I could have kept accelerating at least up to 55, posibly up to 60 kph. Who knows…I’m just guessing. But I had to ease back the throttle at the limits of where a minor course correction started to have twitchy outcomes.

The same can be said of the modified Evolve GT. The GT rider claimed he never got past 75% throttle because he was not confident the his board could maintain a steady course. In theory, his skateboard could have out accelerated mine from start to finish. Instead, I overtook him within 45 seconds and left him hundreds of meters behind by the time I hit my own limit.

Considering how little time I spent setting up the board for speed I think 51.1 is pretty impressive. Acceleration and braking were phenomenally effective.

I should say that no one should take any electric skateboard out of the box and aim for top speed. And that’s certainly not what I did. The night before I did ten short test runs while I swapped in better quality bushings and experimented with the tightness of the pivot bolts. I ran out of bones Barrel bushings so I was only able to swap out the top bushings for bones medium cone bushings. Swapping out the lower barrel bushings would have really helped the high speed stability.

It would have been extremely dangerous to attempt such a high speed with all four of the stock pivot bushings and without adjusting the pivot bolt tightness.

Road conditions are also critical. This was also done on a perfect streatch of pavement with no cracks or potholes.

1 Like

Hey pk. Thanks for your review.Youre goning too fast.Its dangerous.I don’t recommend that you try the top speed without enough safety, because it’s just a prototype. Best regards Jason liu

1 Like

Hi Jason:

It was a one time test becasue we were all curious to know how fast it could go. But I did take precautions. I have the prototype strapped together with two velcro straps becasue I know the protype is more fragile than the injection molded version will be. I also wore full safety gear including a padded motorcycle Jacket (sholder pads, spine protector& Elbow pads), and knee & Shin pads and of course a helmet.

But if it makes you feel better, I’m finished with the high speed test and long range test. I won’t be riding it much more except for taking video and drone footage.

Congratulations on an amazing product. The braking and acceleration are perfect. The geometry of the trucks give a very stable ride. The battery range is excellent. The direct drive hub motors are very powerful with great cooling. The 90mm complete Urethane wheels keep the vibration low and the traction is excellent. One Revel kit accelerates faster and brakes more effectively than a 4WD landwheel. The Revel Kit with the extended range 216 WH battery has two or three times the range compared to a 4WD landwheel with two batteries.

1 Like

haha,oK, pk.Just don`t ride too fast.The battery capacity sent to you is 216WH, not 159WH

I am really impressed and I have now again in a very large parking garage here at the airport with two Evolve driver with my 4wheel landwheel a race made every floor and then down the guys were good and had a lot of grip in the corner but in terms of acceleration and I was able to decelerate it for me … it was really fun despite 20kg lighter opponents but it is also an advantage to be able to brake with the front axle because the ground was very smooth and a bit dusty … now I read the revel even more effective braking and accelerating much easier and you can lift your nose I could use twice in the race … it is too good to be true. 2 times drove this route and both batteries were down to a blue dot … I’m really curious to hold this weapon (ordered with 216Wh) in the hands

Hi Germane:

I would love to watch a video of you racing. It sounds like you have “mad Skills”

I think you completely understand that the most important part of speed is CONTROL. The L3X 4WD had acceleration and braking curves that were superior to any other board I have seen. There might be some boards that are more powerful but the power can’t be controlled in a way that is usable.

The 4WD L3-x was so easy to control that other boards have no chance of keeping up.

One weakness that the L3-x had was the PU on the motor wheels. They were slippery and the vibration was high.

With the Revel Kit, the standard 100% Urathane wheels are a huge improvement to vibration, traction and control. The wider trucks also make a big difference. The truck Geometry also seems much better.

The only weakness of the revel kit is the pivot bushings which are easy to replace and should definitely be replaced by the owner.

For those of us who love our 4WD landwheels, its hard to imagine a system that is superior in every way. Yet the 2WD Revel Kit seems to do that.

You are correct, by moving the drive system foward 3 inches from the standard bolt holes…

…I can lift the nose for sharp turns and 180’s. It will be a hard choice for me between 4WD kit and 2WD Kit.

1 Like

I’ll take my son with me in the future for videos I’ve given him an osmo pocket with a helmet mount I think we’re on a similar level of driving skills (started with 10 and almost always and … well we’re not the youngest anymore ) I think I choose the new drive for this deck. ps: i can not get vidios to post file incompatible😔Screenshot_2019-07-08-18-50-32~2FLYING WHEEL IMPALLA