Landsurfer (Hamboard conversion) Build complete (with pics)

Are those Hamboard wheels just re-branded abec11? Those don’t look like co-branding at all…I didn’t think Chris did that…

Not sure, but maybe @Hamgineer can comment - they ride really nicely and come in a variety of sizes. I have seen the Hamboards guys riding on Abecs too…

https://hamboards.com/collections/accessories/products/hamboards-wheels?variant=37389990609

1 Like

Update- build complete!

Had to cut the shrink off the VESCs in order to fit them and the battery- and still be able to access the on off switch via the hole in the enclosure. Also ended up dremeling a little hole to access the charging port.

Took her for a spin last night. She is a heavy but nimble cruiser. Definitely mimics the surf / snow feeling I was going for. Can’t wait to ride more! imageimageimageimage Oh and I cut out an inside cover for the TB enclosure out of an old Sterilite storage container to help keep things in place.

Thanks everyone for your help and support!!!

8 Likes

can you post a video of this thing being ridden? looks really interesting

3 Likes

I do have to say that I’m blown away by the power of the 6355s and the 12s motor. It is a completely different ride from my Riptide. I probably need to do some more research on the VESC settings as this thing has so much torque from out of the gate that I’m almost flying off the back… I’m barely pushing the throttle and it flies!

The goal was not a fast board per se, but was easily going 20mph uphill this am and was kind of scared to push it any faster due to wobble potential…

Hey @sk8l8r - thanks - will try to get some video soon… my selfie stick just broke…

1 Like

Awesome build !! !!!

Is that the Fist !!? (or pescadito ? Looks like the big one ! Sorry I missed the info)

Enjoy & good riiiide :v: :wink:

Edit : :blush: ok , it’s just written on it !.. haha so cool !! https://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/optimized/3X/f/9/f94b3c51efb3d117298eba18f80f87e026b120ca_1_690x407.jpg Your mount on the HST look just perfect !.. I’m trying to building mine too :hugs: (59" x 17.7" )

2 Likes

@Riako yes, I was trying to decide between the FISH vs. the PESCADITO…

I might swap it out and see how the Pescadito rides as well. So far, so fun!

Which board do you have? Also are you going to work with @marcmt88 on the mounts?

1 Like

Welp… swapped it out

Screenshot_7_19_18__10_24_AM

6 Likes

so very stoked for this, you made my day dude!

my original build plan was an “ePescadito” with Jacob’s hubs back in the day (I skate a modded Biscuit that everyone up at Facebook loves).

2 Likes

Very cool!

Soon after I bought a Riptide - I thought - I need to electrify my Hamboards with the HST trucks! Couldn’t believe it hadn’t been done. But like you I realized it would be hard to have a custom mount due the unique hanger profile… but then found a thread on here where @marcmt88 had a bunch of custom motor mounts - reached out to him and ended up sending the trucks. He did an amazing job! Hit him up.

The eBiscuit would be super fun - and also easy to transport!

1 Like

FWIW, I believe an eBiscuit with HSTs and 60mm wheels and the Mellow ESC / controller’s endless mode would absolutely destroy the Bolt :slight_smile:

well, you sold me on mounts and HST’s dude, thank you. ordering now.

cannot… resist… hamboards!

1 Like

100% agree I love the ride of my pinger. I just want to go electric to control decent speeds and push the beast back up the hill with me on it!

3 Likes

Yeah, this swap of deck looks good too ! So, more player than the longer one ?

Sorry for the late reply, I put mine in pause cause got some other builds in construction :sweat_smile: But hope to could enjoy it soon with the sun !!..

Its a Fish like, DIY in plywood (10 plies) and a string (5 plies more) under and between the trucks, all put on 30mm riser. (Size 150 cm x 45 cm - 49" x 17.7" ) For the mount I take the “easy” way with the Supercarve trucks (got the S8 200mm but I don’t run them seen 2014 or so …weak, noizy, but yeah carve well!), Evolve mount for the back rear, and I’m waiting to get out some evolve plate to reverse the front rear and do not expose them as bumpers !..

For sure I would like the bambou finish, but the natural art of the wood almost like a paint is fine too :blush:

3 Likes

Looks really nice!

2 Likes

I was just imagining and electrified Pescadito and found your build! Awesome.

1 Like

Just an update here. I’ve been riding this for several months now. Tried a few different springs from Hamboards and all do really well at 20+mph - no speed wobbles as yet…

1 Like

FYI You can mod the avenue into a surfskate style front truck as per here:

Depending on what type of drive you want to set up on the rear this has also been done and you can find on Youtube for both TKP and RKP. Main drawback is max width of the truck for front and rear, especially on a wide deck.

For the front truck design you could get to 175mm using a Surf Rodz hex axle. maybe wider with their 10mm design and some custom axle studs.

On the back if TKP you can fit an evolve street axle, can’t remember the width however? I think by memory 185mm so might go well with the SRodz up front.

You will end up with a super carvey surf cruiser that can easily manouver in heavy traffic. Front truck design is super stable at speed due to trailing arm (trolley wheel) approach.

Have fun with it.

There was an article confirming ABEC 11 made Hamboard wheels.

1 Like

cool - let me know if you have any questions! I’ve moved the setup around to the Fish and it is currently on the Pinger which has been a lot of fun - but it is a heavy beast to get out of the basement. :slight_smile: