LaCroix Board Co. -- wood and CF deck + segmented flex carbon fiber enclosure -- GROUP BUY [COMPLETED]

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/6547?u=ovi

!!! Who’s going to try @Nowind’s helicals on the LaCroix? Ever since I saw his first video of the helicals on youtube I’ve been craving the slick clean look of a geared drive. It would look sooooo good on the DSS60.

4 Likes

Here are my range stats on my first 3 rides on the 10s6p 30q Lacroix:

Weight: 225lbs + clothing, gear and backpack

All rides started with the battery full.

First Ride: 13km, 38V (Literally went up a mountain on a gravel road, about 4km uphill) Second Fide: 17.86km, 37.V (Doing some speed tests up to 50km/h and some riding on grass) Third Ride: 37.5km, 29.8V (Board stopped completely)

(distance, final voltage)

Pretty much what I expected, just above the range that I need.

3 Likes

That is my intention. I’ve said it before. The LaCroix, matched to the helical gear drive from @Nowind would be an absolute killer. The fact that he now makes these drives to fit the Matrix trucks is pure gold.

5 Likes

I am looking to do that. Just started ordering parts. Nowind has done some amazing engineering with the new Helical Mini Drives for the MBS Matrix II’s.

i am really interested by your feedback…specially if it needs high skills to mount direct drive and helical

I don’t want to derail this thread too much, but I can say that mounting the drive units are not that difficult and there are some very detailed instructions to assist.

I mean the group buy is over… its time for fun lacroix chat…deraaaaaail

The mods from nowind are nice but the price is just way to high. Anyone looked at the new unity controller with duel motor controller ? There’s not much info on how advanced the programming is. I’ve taken my board out on a 40* hill and it took it like a champ I even stopped half way and it still took up speed like it was flat ground. My wait was around 195 with back pack filled with coke and rum :smiley:

I’ve got a preorder for the unity, but who knows how long till it arrives.

I was initially very keen on mating nowind’s direct drive to a LaCriox, but the more I thought about it, the less sense it made. More weight, more complexity, and a lot more cost. For a board that’s designed for the road, it just doesn’t seem worth it. It would look freakin sweet though.

2 Likes

Does anyone know off hand how long the threads are on the M3 screws for the enclosure? Are they 10 or 12 mm?

Edit: Reason being: I am replacing them with socket head screws and fender washers:

https://www.amazon.com/Washer-Aluminum-Gasket-Conical-Countersunk/dp/B07CYGWF6J/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534963890&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=m3+fender+washer+cone&psc=1

I am not at the house to measure. Also, I am getting 50 red and 50 gold fender washers (smallest packs on prime) and the stainless m3 socket bolts come in 120 packs, so if anybody wants some to replace their existing hardware, PM me.

1 Like

These are fancy.

And don’t get stainless, not as strong.

2 Likes

screw strength is really not in play for this, is it?

1 Like

10 mm (and 10ch) :wink:

1 Like

Maybe. Maybe not. Cant hurt though cause ya never know.

Also, they’re blue!

2 Likes

My lacroix has shipped!! On point with their shipping estimates. If you are hesitating purchasing this because you think there will be delays, don’t worry…these guys keep their word.

Absolutely, just got my shipping notice today as well. Just a little over 4 weeks.

Hey guys. I’m wondering what type of range are you guys getting out of your Lacroix

I have a dss50+ I was able to get 22 miles with some juice left going up and down San Francisco with a fairly amount of hill climbing and hitting speeds of up to 33mph on evolve knobbies

I’m very happy with boards range and performance image

4 Likes

I’ve been commuting to work 17 miles and back another 17 miles in under an hour on my DSS50+ for the past 2 weeks and it’s been an experience. I’m 225lbs without gear and there are some steep hills involved along my route. I’ve never ridden to empty but at the tail end of my ride home (15 mile mark) there definitely is a loss of thrust going up hills. I always wait for the charging light to turn green before I leave as this guarantees I will definitely get to where I’ve got to go… It’s the 4 hour wait for that green light that’s a killer!!! 2.5 - 3 hours would be nice but 4 hours :grimacing: and that’s not from empty either…

The length of the deck is starting to bother me as I keep finding myself feeling for a wider stance. Another 3-6 inches would be perfect to lock in and prevent getting jolted off the board. Hey @Arch and @pat_arch You guys wouldn’t happen to have some longer length Prototipos lying around would ya?? If not would you consider making a longer version deck for people with a wider stance? Then a 12s5p would be doable with no issues whatsoever… :wink:

P.S. Took the DSS50+ to the Kaly proving grounds yesterday and had a blast… IMG_7765%20(1) El Capitan Ernesto @Kaly was leading the way… But of course…:v:t6:

OH Yeah I only ride in fast mode!!!:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

4 Likes

Damn. That’s really nice! You’re getting killer range

On the charging side. My board has been plugged to the wall for the last 4.5 hours and still no green light :joy:

I hear you about the deck length on Lacroix. Kaly xl carver happens to have the perfect length Lacroix could use at least 2 more inches for a better riding stance but it’s still a super fun and comfortable board to ride

I have to say. I’m still pretty damn impressed with the prototipo range Let’s not forget the fact that AT wheels kill your range by a lot compared to street wheels

1 Like

Oh yeah. Fast mode all day everyday :metal:t3::grin::metal:t3: