LaCroix Board Co. -- wood and CF deck + segmented flex carbon fiber enclosure -- GROUP BUY [COMPLETED]

My Wh/km should be pretty low due to only using a single motor and an “oversized” motor. :smiley:

Guys, I think I’m in trouble. The LaCroix is now my wife’s favorite board to ride…F#@k!

Don’t let your wife or girlfriend ride the LaCroix. Tell them it’s too scary or something.

12 Likes

Now you have an excuse to get a second one. :grinning:

1 Like

Shortest run I got on a full battery to date. Also one of my overall fastest rides. I had to stop in the beginning quite a bit because I was still downtown and had to check directions but the second half of the trip was a joyride on a rocket. My friends had to come pick me up as the board shut down just 2 km before my destination. @Arch I want a bigger battery!!

1 Like

I thought @twan app tracked wh usage…be interesting to see the difference on a higher speed run like this compared to a slow speed run.

Are you carving pretty hard? I know that creates a lot of resistance and eats up Wh.

That range is a bit concerning to me since you mentioned you weight around 73kg. I’m at 225lbs so I might get ~25km

Maybe I should have stretched the budget for the Sanyo battery.

what psi you running?

Still over 30km on a fast run after 1300+km with your board is not that bad :wink: but I hear you, the struggle is real!

1 Like

I got a “under voltage fault” as my board shut down and the efficiency meter cleared up. But it saved in the runs summary. 8.7 for one motor.

EDIT: worth mentioning, I had changed belts before this run, the old ones became pretty loose, and the new ones feel a lot tighter, so I imagine more friction. Add to that a heavy backpack, slopes, high wind gusts and just massive sprints, I think I cruised at 45-48/h for a good km or two.

I used to run 50 ish. Now I go much lower, it wasn’t very comfortable and I hadn’t noticed a significant range improvement, a lot of the momentum was wasted by the vibrations. I now run 40 but i haven’t checked the tires in a few hundred kms, they could be a tad below 40. It’s definitely more comfortable than running 50 psi and the tires stay more round and vibrate less

Less psi = Less range and speed.

I regret not having the Sanyo. I bought my board in the first week the company was launched, I didn’t even get that option, granted I probably wouldn’t have went for it at that time since this is my first eboard. The advertised capacity with the 30q’s seemed already overkill at first. I did already get a 42km ride on my current setup but after 1200+ kms I’m getting quite a bit more comfortable with the board and I feel that I control it more than it controls me so I go a bit faster and carve a little harder and I got used to break full force when I need to, my wheels lock up when I break. So there’s a lot more stress on the battery. But also depends on where you live. I live on the suburbs of Montreal, so just crossing in the city is 11km, back and forth is 22, which leaves me about 10km of available range to spend in the city. If your commute is shorter you won’t use the full battery.

@Arch even with 1300km, if we calculate an average of 35km per full cycle, that leaves me at only 37ish full charge cycles. But that is the worst case scenario, because not all my rides used a full cycle. Aren’t the 30q’s rated for 200 cycles before battery reaches 70% capacity ?

Buying Sanyo pack was the right thing to do.

@Ovi i’m certain the difference in range has everything to do with how you ride the board now vs how you used to ride it. You ride it harder than you used to, therefore you get less range now.

2 Likes

If Samsung rate Q30 cycles at 200-300 is that at Full 4.2V charge and Full Discharge?.?V,…which is very rarely done ?? ,…if we rarely full charge and discharge, Can Cycle life be doubled or tripled ??

Yes battery life can be substantially increased if you use a shorter discharge-recharge range. The charger only takes it to 41.7 ish and board shuts off at 29V (soft cutoff at 32V). So it’s already protected against any major damage and it’s a shame to limit your trips on a 60cell battery pack just to try to prolong its battery life (opinion).

1 Like

Way more! There has been a lot of testing on this with tesla batteries. Thats a good source of info since they use the same cells

2 Likes

Check out this file. Look at the chart sheet at the end for more info. Lots of goodies there :slight_smile:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/t024bMoRiDPIDialGnuKPsg/edit#gid=0

How do you recommend attaching the enclosure to the deck w the included hardware? Do I put countersunk washer on outside of enclosure and the regular nylon washer between the deck & enclosure? Sorry if it’s a stupid question.

No worries! You put the nylon washer directly on the enclosure, then the countersunk! The nylon washer is squeezed between the countersunk washer and the enclosure.