LaCroix Board Co. -- wood and CF deck + segmented flex carbon fiber enclosure -- GROUP BUY [COMPLETED]

Did you have it in eco mode?

On the same page with new boards. Iā€™m right around 100 miles on my DSS60 and Iā€™ve only full throttled it a few times in expert modeā€¦all while going up hill which is kind of cheating. This board has some serious power.

I think it just makes you feel too comfortable

1 Like

English version is better, has video

13 Likes

Wow. This is fantastic. Global News reporter did a good job. People say that Lacroix Board is expensive etc. but itā€™s selling like hotcakes. Already made close to $1 million. That is crazy. Iā€™m impressed.

Yes, I will create a small list of things to check and share it with you. No problem. Get well soon!

2 Likes

Great video! Awesome to see that its taking off. Also any word on the black/red backpacks?

1 Like

Yes, we did get word on the backpacks. We will be getting them early August. However, for now, we can only sell them to Canadian customers. We are in discussions with Osprey to sell in the USA and will keep you posted. If youā€™ve paid for a bag and are in the USA, DM me.

This is a great point. Itā€™s the way everyone should approach our boards. This board was created so that the user is the limit because the board can always give you more. Just like you must respect the mountains and your abilities when big mountain skiing, you must respect the board and your abilities on a DSS. I very rarely go full throttle and only in very controlled conditions and for short amounts of time. Itā€™s like a Ferrari F40.

2 Likes

To really get what Iā€™m saying, you need to watch this clip. On a large screen. With sound through the roof. For me, itā€™s one of the best clips if not THE best clip ever made in automotive history.

If youā€™ve never seen it, youā€™re lucky and Iā€™m jealous of you. The excitement Chris Harris feels is the feeling we want you to have while riding our boards.

Ps; I know Iā€™m completely fucking off thread but itā€™s worth it. Donā€™t @ me.

11 Likes

Nop, i wich i would haveā€¦ wy?

I see where Arch is working on his big plan when Lacroix Board skyrockets. Arch you know the faster these boards ship out the closer your dreams will become reality :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a question about the batteries. On your site, you list under the geek deets at the end. The dss60 uses the Samsung 30 18650s? And the dss50+ uses the Sanyo 20700s? Correct.

Basic research seems to suggest that the Sanyo has a higher capacity and a higher recharge rate, or it can be recharged something like 3000ish times and the Samsung is rated around 300ish times. Just trying to confirm, to help make a final decision

Keep in mind that, I suppose, they use the same BMS and same focbox settings for both batteries. That means that it will spare the 30q because they are 6p and 90amps discharge than 5p 75amps from 20700b. So thatā€™s a factor to consider :man_shrugging:

Yes, the Sanyoā€™s have a much better cycle rating, but 30qā€™s are the best (that Iā€™ve seen) w/r/t the amount lost per their cycle rating among the top 18650 cellsā€¦ I think they lose 6% over their rated cycle life (most others Iā€™ve seen are closer to 10%). The other thing to consider is how you are planning on using your board. IE: if you only charge to 80-90% and donā€™t discharge it below 20%, then you should be able to extend the cycle life on the 30qs into the thousands as well. If youā€™re charging to full and running it into the ground (as the other extreme), then the cycle life is going to be a bigger factor.

In my experience (mostly from ebikes), the best way to keep a balanced pack happy and healthy is to keep it between 20%-85% and then once every 20-30 cycles, charge to full and let the BMS balance the cells (otherwise, if you never charge to 100% the voltages between packs can get out of whack).

Personally, I opted for the DSS50+. Between the cycle rating and how the cells discharge, the Sanyos were a better fit for me, because I wanted to maximize the range while keeping the cells from spending too much time below 3.2v (SAnyos drop off pretty hard after 3.2v where the Samsung drop is more gradual, meaning more of the total capacity is in the usable range for Sanyoā€™s (lacroix has soft cutoff at 3.2v, IIRC)).

Based on the cutoff limits and some isolated test results, it appears that the Sanyo pack may only have ~11% more range total (down to the 2.9v hard cutoffā€¦ which is purely based on Moochā€™s testing, which rated the Sanyo cells at 16a ~4000mah vs the commonly advertised 15a 4250mah) than the Samsung pack (if ridden to the boardā€™s 2.9v cutoff), but the Sanyo pack has 25% more range before hitting the 3.2v soft cutoff, which was significant for me, since thatā€™s level I want to stay above, unless forced otherwise. This also assumes a ā€˜coastingā€™ load of ~15A draw from the batteryā€¦ a spike in current when running low would cause voltage drops which could trigger the cutoffs sooner, etc (not sure how the 6p of Samsungs handles voltage sag compared to the 5p Sanyos, so thatā€™s not taken into consideration).

^ kind of a lot of random thoughts combined with limited testing/rating results + dirty analysis, etc, but maybe that helped answer your question? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have around 1150km on my DSS60 so far and I havenā€™t been too cautious with battery charging, most of the time charging it to 95%, and discharging it to ~ 20% most of the time but I have been discharging to lower than that a few times lately as Iā€™ve gotten a lot more comfortable riding it the past weeks. I crave to go further and accelerate harder and climb steeper hills. So far my top range since I have the board was 42km on a full charge, at the end I had 2% left. The last 2 km were mostly assisted pushing so Iā€™m not sure if that counts. I weigh ~73-75KG depending on my lunch. Nowadays I ride about 30-35km on a good day and use ~80-85% of the battery doing that. But there are quite a few hills I go up where I live. And for the regenerative braking, in my experience thereā€™s not much going back into the batteries, maybe the BMS is too restrictive or maybe I donā€™t brake enough :smiley:

We would need to have graphene ultra capacitors in our boards :smiley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ2Eo6wl5r0

I will keep you updated on how my battery keeps up with time, from what I understand the price of a new battery is a massive hit to the wallet, I hope I can comfortably stretch it over the next summer as well, but I definitely crave more range already. If my board could do it, I would go on camping trips with this thing. I would love to get 70-80km range out of it in fun mode.

1 Like

@Arch just found out about your board and spend the last couple of hours doing research. Iā€™m from Michigan (basically on the border to canada next to windsor), and Iā€™m HIGHLY interested in this board.

My only reservation is shipping delays and issues. I just heard that you had a million dollars worth of business already, thatā€™s like 450 boards sold. How will you be able to get these out within the promised time frame of 4-6 week?? Just seems impossible.

If I order today, whatā€™s a REALISTIC ship time? Iā€™ve had some pretty bad experiences with ridiculous delays before.

3-4 weeks is our estimated ship date now. Ask around, we donā€™t mess with delays. Cheers.

5 Likes

Acton? Enertion? Carvon? Other? :wink:

thatā€™s like 450 boards sold

I try not to count other peopleā€™s $$, but keep in mind there are other factors to consider like exchange rate (the article referencing a million in sales was likely CAD not USD), plus they were open for a few months selling only enclosures/decksā€¦ so without knowing those sales #s, any estimates around complete deck sales would be speculation at best (not to mention other factors like accessory sales, upgrades, etc).

EDIT: point is moot apparently, as I guess the estimated ship time has decreasedā€¦ not increased :).

Iā€™m putting in an order soon. 3-4 weeks would be GREAT, but I really need it within 8 week max. Please let me know if you cannot deliver it within 8 weeks!

Still curious to know how you can build them so fast, 4 weeks with 400+ boards and 2 people in the company as of nowā€¦