LaCroix Board Co. -- wood and CF deck + segmented flex carbon fiber enclosure -- GROUP BUY [COMPLETED]

13 Likes

Doesnā€™t look like those links work.

Does this board roll downhill? Like can you build up some speed without throttle down a big hill? Sorry if thats a stupid question, Iā€™ve just been bombing some hills on my board lately and its fun going for a more traditional downhill feeling and just using gravity. I donā€™t have much experience with belt setups. Also in that video Maxaweli mentions a custom battery pack which is more expensive than the standard one, is that an option for the completes or was that just a one-off?

It rolls very well down hill. As for the pack, itā€™s a proto in Maxā€™s board. We donā€™t offer it at the moment.

Can I ask what the differences are between the two?

1 Like

Our current board we sell = 60 cells of Samsung 30Q. Maxā€™s board = 50 cells of 20700.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got 20700 envyā€¦

1 Like

Is there a noticeable difference? From the little research Iā€™ve done it doesnā€™t seem like its a huge difference overall and adds a fair amount of cost.

Probably Sanyo NCR20700B 4250mAh - 15A ? interesting. but for the price difference itā€™s not really worth it, you need to almost double-down on cell costs.

Tries some calcsā€¦open to correction, weight difference fairly negligible

60 30Q in 10s6p = 90A+ discharge, capacity 18Ah, 666Wh @ nominal 3.7v cell voltage Pack weight: 2880g

50 NCR20700B in 10s5p = 75A+ discharge, capacity 21.25Ah, 786.25Wh @ nominal 3.7v cell voltage Pack weight = 3150g

I donā€™t know how much of a badass the NCR20700B is for discharge, maybe in real life a 5p can take on a 30Q 6p for discharge.

Personally Iā€™d prefer to get a spare 40 30Q cells for another build at the same costā€¦

8 Likes

Thereā€™s one more angle for cost comparison ā€“ cycle life. I think 30q are 250-300 cycles to 70%. 20700B looks like about 500 cycles at similar discharge rates. So that makes up the price gap.

But Iā€™m with you, unless prices come down by a lot, 30q is king.

1 Like

I have a fairly weak understanding of wh and translating it into riding range. Am I correct in calculating the 50x 20700 would give about 10km greater range than the 60x 18650 under modest riding conditionsā€¦?

Yes, 10-12km difference.

1 Like

I think youā€™re looking at about 18Wh er mile, the regular board is looking like a range of ~37mls depending on rider weight/terrain/tire pressure.

The 20700 pack mentioned above would give ~43mls rage for the same set of circumstances.

Would wouldnā€™t wanna stop and recharge the body and board after almost 60km?..Iā€™m a Euro, gotcha there with the old km switch :smiley:

1 Like

It happened to me twice now that I want to go further but the board is too tired. If I beat the life out of this battery this year(close to 800km in 1 and 1/2 months), Iā€™m definitely going for bigger cells if it means longer range

1 Like

Just got my board last week and all I gotta say is its amazing every thing that pat and Alex advertise is very true! you can talk about the board all you want but when you ride it you will understand!! I got the 3rd board in the US and the 1st in Hawaii Aloha
Tunda

5 Likes

I would be interested if anyone can comment on this boardā€™s suspension. I see it does not have springs, how well does it handle uneven pavement, etc.

I am torn between a fully built board like the DSS60 and building my own board like a Trampa Urban Carve.

@slybarman Hi, if youā€™re looking for spring suspension, you would need a Bajaboard. Both the springs and bushings in the trucks of the Trampa vs the DSS60 only fulfill the function of steering dampening. The board itself absorbs shocks and vibrations but not the trucks directly. And from that point of view both the Trampa and the DSS60 are flexible decks. The hump on the Trampa is a foot killer in my experience, horrible cramps from the shape of the deck and no concave means you never know where your feet are on the board. In my own experience the Trampa doesnā€™t even come close in any way (Not an endorsed advertisement). However if youā€™re planning on off-roading, maybe thereā€™s room for discussion. The beautiful carbon fibre case of the DSS60 is heart breaking to scratch on rocks, and it is closer to the ground than the Trampa board I used. You could always use 8" knobbed tires on the DSS60, but again, I feel it shines at its brightest on pavement, like a Porsche :wink:

4 Likes

I wanna see pics!!

Thank you. That is good information. I did not realize that.

I got my complete DSS60 last friday. It is a piece of beauty.

I must say that I am not in any way an expert in Esk8. I have a chinese mountainboard that I used to like but it is over now (ninestep 2000w that i got on amazon).

The power of the DSS60 is super predictable. I like the acceleration curve. No problem going at 5 km/h or putting the power back after going down a hill. The sound of the motors is verry addictive and not too loud in my opinion. we got verry steep hills in RiviĆØre-du-Loup, QuĆ©bec. Going up a long and steep hill, i was amazed that i didnā€™t even need to go full trottle to go upā€¦ and that is was still possible to accelerate while doing so. The brakes are predictable and efficient.

The feeling of carving with a flexible board is amazing.

I think that those two brothers will be in business for long time.

Few days and already about 100 kmā€¦ I would have done way more without youg kids at homeā€¦:slight_smile:

BTW, itā€™s the first time of my life (i am 40 years old) that i take the time to review something I buy. I dot it mainly so people can share my joy of riding a Lacroix and also cause those Brothers deserved it for creating such a refined machine.

10 Likes