Koowheel thread

it fits in the original spring system, including the power connector (found on Alixpress)

1 Like

That’s great! I am sure koowheel owners will like it! Time to remove the voltage sag :sunglasses:

WOW! This is sooooo awesome! Can you please add a link to the power connector and to thingiverse? I’d love to build one of those as well.

Oh… and I wonder if it might be even possible to build a smaller battery pack than the original which is then airtravel safe?

Does anyone by chance know what cells are used in the Koowheel d3m v2 5500mAh battery packs? They have a considerable voltage sag. I would like to compare their specs against Samsung Q30

The connector is a “subd 2w2”

Awesome! Thank you … Ordered some! Takes some time to arrive

30q will perform a lot better for sure

I do not remember the type of battery, anyhow they are LG 18650 battery 2250mAh and something like 10A discharge current. So yes 30Q will do a lot better. You can also think to the vtc6 with 30A discharge current https://eu.nkon.nl/sony-us18650vtc6.html

I’m not sure if they use the same battery, but I tore open my Genesis Hellfire which should be an exact replica and found 22p. I’m currently in the process of planning a 10s4 with 22p. Figuring with 40 of them instead of 20 I’ll be just as good as buying 30q to rebuild. Yeah its more like hoping…

Awesome thank you. Unfortunately there are 2 version of the Koowheel Battery v1 = 4300mAh (fits pretty much perfectly the Samsung 22p) and a v2 5500mAh (this is also said to be Sasmung cells - however it could very well be LG Cells).

I want to build a smaller battery that is air-travel safe (i.e: <100 Wh) … do you think a 10S1P with Q30 or VTC6 will be able to deliver enough Amperage for that kind of use?

Hmm?? However both variants (3000mAh) do end up at: 3Ah * 4.2V * 10cells = 126Wh Still too much, I’d need something with a little bit less capacity but more Amperage… so to say 2380 mAh

Samsung 25r

Oh yes! The Samsung 25R looks promising… how do you “oficially” calculate the Wh of a battery? Capacity x 4.2V (at max voltage) …or… Capacity x 3.6(rated Voltage)?

The later would sum up to: 2500mAh x 3.6V x 10 cells = 90Wh

I could even go for 11 cells: 2500mAh x 3.6V x 11 cells = 99Wh (PERFECT). and the additional cell might very well compensate for a little bit of voltage sag

x rated voltage

What do you mean with 11 cells? If you use the normal ESC is programmed for 10s you can not go 11s. I would suggest to make two 90Wh battery adn then you connect them together when you need it and get 10s2p out of it.

Very nice idea… :wink: Yeah!.. make a plugable 10S 1P 2P 3P system and travel with seperate 90Wh packs! =) … I was thinking about 11S because most ESCs are rated for more than 10S (e.g. VESC… up to 13S)

yes but those are vescs, on koowheel you have ESC which are not open source. MEaning you can not customised. Of course if you change it to a dual vescs set up (like 2 FLipsky vesc or the new dual 4.20 VeSC for like 100 Euro) then you have th benefit of VESC and you will have more power, better braking ecc… For the battery definitely make multiple 1p battery is a good way. On one of the battery you connect the BMS and make the balance leads with jst connects, so you will only need to plug them into the other 1p battery and make whatever you want.

Already ordered a Flipsky Dual-VESC … will try to run the KooWheel ESC with 11S anyhow. If the magic smoke comes out this will not be the end of the world. Has anybody tried to do this before? If yes and it is certainly sure that the smoke will come out this would just be a stupid experiment and I might change my mind =D

1 Like

Believe me it won’t work. The ESC is programmed for a 10s set up. Best scenario in won’t move, in the worse It will brake. Just connect the dual VESCs, make bigger battery and your Koowheel will be another board. Then the last thing you could do is to change the hubs to more powerful ones, but for that you need a VESC for sure otherwise you won’t be able to deliver enough current.

Oh wow! I just realized the FlipSky Dual-FSESC 6.6 is out:

I wonder if it’s really worth the premium charge in comparison to the Dual-FSESC 4.2? Major difference seems to be 100A vs. 200A continuous current draw. Are there any other crucial differences in functionality that I might have missed?

You would need to dicharge those packs below 3.6v for them to be <99wh :wink:

Acido you are right. However you must always take into account that the “real world” capacity does not count for a bureaucratic TSA security officer. So it is better to stick to the official rules to calculate the capacity. Hence my question if this is based on rated voltage or max cell voltage. There is no way to discuss with a TSA officer. You can only hope that he can calculate simple numbers and that the result is in your favour :wink: