Koowheel thread

Seems like it might be BMS dependent then. If I plug my charger into charge port first it ill fry the connector.

1 Like

Like this?

1 Like

Yup 10 Char

1 Like

my friend just got one and he is interested if there are some parts that are know to fail or something like that

Hi Acido,

Roberto here from PET. Regular maintenance is mandatory, check screws are always tighten but not too much if that make sense, dry after riding on wet and store indoors at room temperature. I recommend to charged using the board instead of the external adaptor. Avoid hard vibrations riding on rough tarmac.

Hi there,

has anybody an idea how to update/flash the ESC on a Koowheel d3m board? The speed controller seems to have a serial port and I wonder if it is possible to alter ESC settings (like on a VESC) or update/flash new firmware.

I would like to limit the speed to a certain speed so that it is in compliance with local regulations because otherwise you can be prosecuted quite severely here.

Thanks!

No you can’t. As you said is a ESC not a VESC so you can not modify it without the factory software. The first speed is like 20km/h. How slow do you want it?

Hi rey8801. Thanks for your answer! Yes i wasn’t expecting VESCs to be in there. However you can often change settings in regular BECs as well. I am deep into the RC hobby and most likely there is a way to alter settings on all kind of BECs. Just wondering if someone found out what controller exactly is used here and if anybody knows a software that allows settings to be changed or new compatible firmware that can be flashed.

I want to reduce the speed so that it maxes out at 6km/h in normal mode and is open in the secret turbo mode (7 pressed to the ON/OFF switch). There is a stupid law here in Germany and riding a motorized vehicle that goes faster than 6km/h needs a registration, drivers license and insurance. If the driver is caught in action, he will be prosecuted for two severe offenses: violation of driving without a driver’s license and violation of compulsory insurance. For both of those offenses you can get arrested and will earn yourself a remark in your certificate of good conduct. You might even loose your drivers license for driving a non-registered vehicle. You see… not too much fun riding esk8s in Germany.

having a board that only goes 6km/h after you power cycle it would be a huge advantage if you get checked by the police. :wink:

Another idea (but not nearly as elegant) would be modifying the remote controller. A little resistor in combination with a reed switch (magnetic switch) could be added that reduces the signal of the throttle potentiometer. Then use a little neodymium magnet at the remote to go full speed (reed switch = closed) and when being checked by police flip away the little magnet (reed switch = open) and the board will only go slow regardless of how hard you hit the throttle. :wink:

1 Like

I know about Germany’s law, it’s sucks! I heard about horrible stories, so I understand your fear. If you find out how to modify it the all forum will appreciate your contribution. As far as I know noone here did it. You can also think about replace the ESC with a double VESC. For the space you have in the Koowheel enclosure the new Flipsky dual vesc will probably fit and you will have an open source VESC for a bit more than 100 euro. To a VESC you can attach bluetooth module and adjust speed ecc from your phone. For instance in mine, I have different modes and if I need someone to try it I just need to switch between the preset profiles I made to reduce speed and watt. The nice thing that I see a perfect application for your situation is that if you set the lower speed as default mode, then you only need to change the mode from your phone, but in case the police stops you you only need to reboot the board (on/off) and the board will be in the default configuration again. Basically if you do not definitely change the mode, only the default configuration will be loaded on the vesc when you turn it on. I think that is the best solution, for better acceleration, power, control… @moon is organising a group buy for the dual unit. Just my two cents :wink:

Other mods I would do on the koowheel (I had it too!). Change the esc battery connector to a xt60, solve the disconnection problem. If you do not like battery sag, replace the cells with Samsung 30Q. Plus the VESC you have another board

Thanks! is it this Dual VESC you are talking about? https://flipsky.net/collections/electronic-products/products/dual-fsesc4-12-100a

Yep and here the group buy that has to take off https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/eu-uk-group-buy-flipsky-dual-esc-with-heatsink-108-interest-check/65053/2

Cool! Jumped in there… Additionally I need some generic bluetooth controller, right? any Recommenadation on that? I Suppose the koowheel one will not be able to be paired with that VESC right?

I sell them if you want, plug and play and android 8 Oreo compatible https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/esk8-flea-market-eu-ww-small-cheap-parts-hm-10-bluetooth-android-oreo-compatible-volt-meter-3dprinting/57463 9 Euro (plus additional 0.10 Euro for donation (I will add more to it) to the guy who made the free phone app and vesc tool related) It is to sustain the work :wink: 2 Euro shipping You can check in the thread if you need other things

Hi everybody. Is there anyone who has a defective Koowheel d3m ESC / motor controller lying around that he would consider donating to this project: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/koowheel-esc-mcu/65066 ? Would be awesome! Maybe we can make the tons of d3ms out there a whole lot better with custom firmware. Cheers! Any help is much welcome!

@mikedv https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/eu-parts-for-sale-diyeboard-dual-belt-drive-koowheel-gen-2-battery-koowheel-dual-esc-and-remote/64726?u=rey8801 is selling Koowheel ESC for cheap. In case you do not find one for free

Thanks for the hint! Unfortunately someone else was quicker :wink: A broken PCB with blown FETs would also do the job. Chereo! Must be out somewhere. Otherwise theses things were really built to last. :grin:

I had it but last year. You could try on Reddit, you will find more people that had the Koowheel or Genesis compare to here.

for you Koowheel owners, i’ve been working on a larger battery pack,

• 3D printed modular enclosure
  • 10s3P (of whatever cells you prefer)
  • Held together by 4xM4 struds

only a few issues:

• you’ll need to remove the front truck to swap the battery
  • wiring of the batterie groups inside the enclosure will be quite tricky and fiddly
  • not waterproof

color of cells is just random for fitting IMG_20180622_202654IMG_20180623_152902

STL files will be released in a few days on thingiverse

1 Like

How did you mount it to the board? are you going to use the existing spring system?