Just ordered an Evolve GTX Bamboo - need advice (update: canceled my Evolve Order)

sure take your time and safe travels home

1 Like

Ok.

The Trampa motors are not very good so I would not get them. The Hobbyking SK8 6374 are almost a straight swap (you can get them from the Hobbyking European warehouse at 149 or 192kV). The Maytech sealed are more powerful but they have a short shaft so you have to ditch the protective cage and the mounting plate with the additional bearing to make them fit. Your choice.

Depending on what you prefer you can either get a gear drive (from Trampa or e-toxx) or the Trampa enclosed belt drive. I have the latter and I am happy with it. It is quiet, has quite a bit of ratio range (you can use 13, 14 or 15T gear pulleys) but it has a lot of drag albeit lots of it is from the sealing v-ring.

If you get the assembled board with the electric deck, you also get 2x VESC6, the battery box with all the wiring, bluetooth module, remote, CNCd electric hanger, travel bag etc. When I did the same exercise it came out cheaper than making it myself so I went for it.

If you do not get the included charger they will knock 100GBP off the price.

I decided to make a LiIon 12S7P battery but you can choose to go with lipos again there are pros and cons with both choices.

So if I were to do it again I would get the Trampa complete with the gear drive (it also has shorter gear ratio which I find important on a mountainboard due to my terrain), sell the motors (you may not have to in your case, where I live it is very steep) and get a set of Hobbyking SK8 motors.

Trampa after sales service has been superb and their shipping times are ultra fast.

2 Likes

Thanks for the very detailed reply!

I tried to customize a electric deck. So with this setup I have everything except Battery and Charger right ? Did you ever test this kind of remote ?

1 Like

I have the Maytech thumb remote so no experience with that remote. Get the 154kv motors, they will be easier to sell. For your weight I would get the 16ply deck. Ask to drill for both styles and setup as regular (in your case). That way if you ever decide to sell the board it can be setup either way.

1 Like

I currently also have the maytech one on my longboard… So maybe I should stick with it. Thanks for the tip with the drilling… When you said the motors from Trampa aren’t good - in which regards aren’t they good ?

They overheat easily and when setup with the amps I need to climb the hills around my house they would loose tracking. The Hobbyking Sk8 149kv can take up to 55A motor amps before the stator is saturated and they start to lose tracking, the Maytech 6374 had no problems up to 70A. This is not immediately evident but if I climb a steep hill for a few minutes then they lose tracking and start studdering.

2 Likes

Ok I see… So my best bet is I will only order the deck with wheels/trucks etc. and then source the rest over time.

Just fell in love with this setup…

trampa630

So motor mounts will be quite hard to find in europe I guess… I could 3D Print the pulleys for the wheels (with 66T ABS should easily hold up - even PLA might work).

How about APS Motors (i guess those are rebranded Maytech anyway) ?

So would be really thankful for Shops to find Motor mounts (and maybe wheel pulleys) in Europe.

you need to start using the search bar

3 Likes

Or I could just ask someone who is very knowledgeable and has all of this information compiled over the years of experience :slight_smile: I was searching the web and no shop in the EU has them on stock. most shops or custom mounts are in the US

1 Like

Don’t get the titanium axle. It is 9.525mm instead of 12mm. APS motors are not really good, ask @Andy87 , I think he has destroyed like 100 of them :rofl:

4 Likes

What is the downside of the 9.525mm ? They have adapters included I guess

12mm is just more robust (better if you’re planning jumps for example) and there are more bearings for 12mm axles

1 Like

e-toxx is in Germany. Trampa is in the UK and even if Brexit happened on the 29th of March 2019 there would be a transition period at least until 31st December 2020, so no need to worry about taxes or finding a re-seller.

1 Like

Aaah great… couldn’t find e-toxx when googling for Trampa Board Motor Mounts… so cool! Will browse the shop

Don’t sign for the package and let it get returned to sender. Buy a Metroboard instead.

You can thank me later.

If you don’t want to ride as soon, you can make a board but it’s a long, arduous, expensive learning process…

1 Like

Click me :wink: http://bfy.tw/MlnP

1 Like

duckduckgo works better

1 Like

yes… didn’t google for e-toxx directly because I thought they sound too American :stuck_out_tongue: But I see only direct drive or gear drive and most of the stuff is out of stock - other things need machined trucks. so probably will try my luck with trampa

Oh Brian. :grin: How does “Let me duckduckgo that for you” sound?

1 Like

Why not just say search?

Should I ask you to Android me after I gave you my phone number? It’s a little rude to assume what other people like.