Jenso Style Direct Drive... For Street Boards!

Motor Gear:

Do you have 4 axis cnc?

nope. 4 3 axis Shopbot Desktop Max’s. These aren’t helical so they will be able to be done with a tiny endmill on a standard CNC. My plan is to buy the motor gears from ebay (cheap and less work for me) and mill the mounts and 3d print the wheel gear. If the wheel gear doesn’t hold up that will be milled along with the mounts

If your 3D printed gears blow apart let me know, I might be able to help out.

Lol ok will do

So my thoughts were, rather than just copy Jenso’s mount which is a cool mount in itself, but improve on it with your original idea of a bevel gear.

The bevel gear lets you put the motor in a 90 degree plane to allow for larger motors and also handle smaller gear ratios.

Essentially take this…

And put it in here… and fold the enclosure 90 degrees along the purple dotted line towards the truck:

The whole structure would form an L - shape

Hmm…

Finishing a Spanish project right now but will give it a shot when I get home. Jenso style is easy for me because Spur gears are waaaaaayyy easier to source than bevel gears

Gears are printing! 4 hours left!

2 Likes

Hey!

I’ve “finished” my bevel gear longboard today. I didn’t do any CAD designs, mainly because i immediately wanted to start :smiley:

Some findings i’ve had: -You need to be able to adjust to motor position in all axis. If your gears aren’t fitting accurate they won’t the needed momentum. (I was able to change the angle… but thats not really necessary) -Think about adding some kind of oilpath to reduce friction. I didn’t drive far but aren’t looking great anymore. -At least close the gears. I don’t want to know what happens, if you’ll get a stone between the gears while driving.

1 Like

" I don’t want to know what happens, if you’ll get a stone between the gears while driving."

You stop. Really fast :slight_smile:

Actually you probably just put a little gouge in your gears and then the rock pops out, depending on the size of the rock.

1 Like

I saw that while I was at school! Great job!

Gears look good! Watch out for a video a little later

Hahaha time to get a mount for it :joy:

When I say press fit, I mean semi bolt-on… the gear won’t randomly fall of while your riding :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Glad to see all the interest in this :joy:

I just whipped up a mount in about 10 minutes. Will print tomorrow so I can run the gears without holding the mount

I know the mount looks like garbage but its just something to make the direct drive bench testable

Look out for a video later today :wink:

2 Likes

Kinda want that motor mount lol, but I have like a ton of them laying around and why tf are you using your phone in class

It was my bathroom break lol. The mounts aren’t good :joy: you have to run the pulley super far away from it putting tons of stress on the motor bearings. Will try it in s couple hours when school is over :wink:

outboard motors?

Eventually yes.

Here is a video with my mount. Can’t power it up cause I blew my drv on my way home from school. This project will probably go on hold until I get my hands on a new vesc since I have absolutely no extra money right now.

3 Likes

Nice work! figure out how to make a cover — think it will a little tricky because where will it mount to?

Without a cover… it’s likely to be a bit dangerous.