Jenso Style Direct Drive... For Street Boards!

Its gonna be a little while. Don’t get your hopes up. Probably only a month if I’m lucky

lol this one will be single drive. no differential or anything fancy… yet

LSD will definetly be in order for the dual version though. btw LSD means limited slip differential, not acid :joy:

A nice quick render of what I have so far. Tomorrow will be spent working out how to fit it to a baseplate…

Also sorry about hose horrible reflections… not sure why they are set so high :joy:

3 Likes

why have the wheel gear teeth on the inside and not the outside?

You know, that is one good question. It’s 6am on a Saturday and my mom will murder me if she hears me on my computer so early…

1 Like

looking good little bro!

yeah if nothing else flipping the drive gear to the other side of the motor pinion will make the piece a bit smaller and maybe stronger?

2 Likes

Flipping the drive gear should do both of those things AND should make it symmetrical :wink:

Working on it now

Where do you plan to get the gears from? 3d print will fail

yeah have to remember also there are side loads on a bevel gear along the axis of the axel GM, so it will be easier to reinforce the gear with some kind of triangular brace or solid infill on the wheel side of the drive gear :wink: this way you are pushing the gear on to the printed piece rather than away…

I’m thinking 3D printed for the bigger gear and steel fro the smaller gear. If 3D print fails, both will be steel.

The part that I am having trouble with is making it mountable to a normal caliber truck baseplate…

Maybe ill head back over to my jenso style direct drive for now

baseplate? but the base plate is mounted to the board… don’t you need to mount it to the hanger so it maintains alignment when you turn?

maybe me dumb dumb… you have confused me little bro?

Yea, I had a feeling that was gonna be confusing… Ill post a picture in a minute or two

You just need to build it as a self contained hanger that fits on a regular reverse kingpin base plate…

1 Like

Sorry for the atrocious quality… I’m having trouble turning it into a normal skateboard truck. I obiviously haven’t added the necessary parts but I am not sure how I can make it mount up like a normal truck hangar. eg. pivot cup, truck bolt…

Bueno?

i assume the shiny bit is your printed piece. I think it needs to be shorter so it and the motor pinion clears the cup on the baseplate. I’m guessing you will machine the hangar to accept a bearing and mount the piece to the bearing. Then it will be supported and will be aligned? but it is your design little bro… keep at it :slight_smile:

I think you’re going too big. If you’re going for internal gears you can go a lot smaller, smaller than you’d need to with anything external like a pulley. The motor pinion can be a lot smaller too because you’re not having to make sure a belt stays on it and doesn’t jump etc. it’s meshing directly with other teeth…

Think 1/8th RC axles… If you can make one of those with internal bearings and so that a flywheel can fit on the end, you’re laughing!

There may even be a scenario, if you can think of a good solution, to have no need for any wheel adapters… Think about, instead of bearings, the ‘bearings’ in the case for the drive wheel were solid and don’t spin? You tighten them up to the drive axle and the axle spins with the wheel held solid to it…

1 Like

That is actually exactly my idea for this one! The gear will be smaller, but also, bolted to the drive axle which will have the flywheel adapter attached solidly to it. The bearings are there so the axle can rotate independently of the hangar. On the end is a left hand thread so the nut doesn’t become loose over time. I will leave the normal bearings in the wheels though just for simplicity, I don’t need another piece to make…

Yeah but if you had solid ‘bearings’ in the wheel there’d be no need at all for any adapter… put those solid ‘bearings’ in any wheels that take 608’s and you’re away :wink: