Jenso Style Direct Drive... For Street Boards!

The taulman3d.com range of filament seems very interesting, i think Alloy 910 or Nylon 680 would be suitable for gears. Eventually i will get myself a E3D Hotend and try a something like this on my Creality CR 10, but that can take a while.

Iā€™ve got a Stratasys F370 so I can print in almost any material. Heated chamber, heated bed, dual extruders, soluble support

yeah ok that beats the CR 10 (at least until i do all those upgrades :D)

I sure hope it does for $20,000 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ive been very short on time lately but am back and more ready than ever to get this thing figured out! I will try my best to get all files finalized and 3d print the drivetrain for a mockup on Monday. If I can get my dxf files figured out, maybe ill be machining a mount or two Monday also :wink:

Why donā€™t you take this a step further and create an axle style truck that would still have a section for the bushings and the kingpin to go through, and a nipple to sit in the pivot cups?

You could mount the motor under the deck, facing inwards (toward the front if at rear), and one motor could drive both wheelsā€¦ Heck, if you spent some more time you could even integrate a diff in there for those thinking that the fixed axle is going to affect steering (which for most of us, wonā€™t).

Arrow points to where the motor would connect toā€¦

10 Likes

Not a bad ideaā€¦

1 Like

Actually I like the idea of one motor per wheel. It eliminates issues with slipping and makes braking better. The differential would suck for hard braking compared to two smaller motors.

2 Likes

Of course it wouldnā€™t. The differential would lock and youā€™d have the same braking capabilities as a single motor, single wheel drive setup. In fact itā€™d be a bit better because two wheels will be gripping instead of just one, which would mean thereā€™d be less chance of skiddingā€¦

1 Like

Not if there was a differential. Whichever wheel had less traction would skid, robbing braking power from the other wheel

2 Likes

Wow! and theres the oil bath too

1 Like

Yes but If youā€™re distributing braking force over two wheels thereā€™s much less chance of skidding. But yes, if one did skid, youā€™d loose some braking abilityā€¦

Oil bath? :confused:

1 Like

Iā€™m looking at it from the perspective of going over pebbles, a brake on the differential would be robbing the other wheel of stopping power. Iā€™d far prefer two wheels braking independently, even for half the wattage, than one differential braking two wheels

I thought about doing this for a mountain board but I donā€™t see how this would be good for a longboard not enough room

It would reduce the amount of maintenance (if I do it right), simpler to setup, could coast further, more compact etc.

The pic above w bevel gear contained and protected looks really nice. Be a shame to go to the trouble and ruin it exposed. How much u find the gears alone cost? I looked into them and couldnā€™t find helical gears off the shelf for cheap. Helical being bevel gears that are harder to make and quiet. Love to see it done. Or maybe someone could adapt whats already out there.

1 Like

Havent looked into cost yetā€¦ I know that they are not cheap though. Iā€™m having trouble understanding that picture. The way I look at it, the big gear is fixed to the axle making the entire axle rotate. I have the feeling that thatā€™s not the correct use for it :joy:

Maybe u know, and was already said, thereā€™ll be axial forces and youā€™ll likely need thrust bearings on both sides. And the mount will have to take that axial force as well. That design above and use a floating axle for one of the wheels, so just one wheel driveā€¦be slick

1 Like

I think some have forgot a thread posted here of a University team working on the same concept. Iā€™m not sure what happened to them.

1 Like