Jed electric boards

I’d be happy to get you on a board so you can see for yourself just how much power delivery there is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Common mate you need to answer the questions especially from someone like LHB who knows what he is doing

Each dual motor setup has its own pack. Power delivery is controlled using our various sensors. We can achieve speeds of over 30km/hr. The packs may be small compared to what a lot of DIY builds use but we have Panasonic batteries that can take a lot of abuse and have time and time again showed us how stable and powerful they are. Our packs are designed that they can feed each other as and when required. While riding we can switch off motors and coast them and divert power to other motors to ensure efficient power delivery all the time.

We aren’t trying to make the board go 40km/hr because that doesn’t make any sense from a safety perspective. We are offering perfect power delivery based on the riders weight at all times.

1 Like

you might be on the wrong forum with that kind of talk. lol

Seriously though, a lot of us have boards that are capable of speeds of 50kph or higher, and a few of us are regularly hitting 56+ kph on flats.

but if you are targeting newcomers, it makes more sense, which is why i was asking what market you are targeting; who are you trying to sell these to exactly. You’re going to have a buttload of competition in the noob consumer space, even with the software wizardry. It really is fascinating to me what you are doing with the software and gear drives and flexy deck and flexy box materials.

just don’t ever use blutooth for throttle control. Even at those lower speeds, BT is terribly unreliable for that kind of thing. ITs perfect for data though. I heard you guys mention that you have multiple radios and that the phone actually connects to the remote, which is cool, but throttle control via BT is going to get somebody hurt, so hopefully the BT is limited to things like readouts and data streams.

3 Likes

All rhere espect lhb, I originally posted the links to Jedboards in here, I’ll take blame if it’s the wrong place or audience to share newer companies in the forum with boards going slower than 40khm. They weren’t even pushing their product here I just randomly found them from a YouTube video vlogger and thought to share it.

i’m not giving him a hard time, just trying to get past his marketing firewall and find out some real info.

In my opinion i think commercial esk8 companies SHOULD come here. Probably before they go anywhere else. We’re on the bleeding fucking edge here, and i don’t think a lot of people realize just how much influence this community has on the market.

I want to see more companies pass through here and take notes from the people who build for passion and not just for profit. We’ll end up with better, safer boards on the street so that we can do what we do best: build faster, more extreme boards than they do and watch them come back and have another look before they move on to further iterations.

So with all of that said, he’s more than welcome here and thank you for bringing in a new member.

10 Likes

:slight_smile: Thanks for explaining makes sense.

That’s great, and I really respect that aspect of electric skateboarding, but our target is to offer something that offers power (read torque) over top speed. We believe our top speed is fast enough for everyday use.

We’re not here to argue with anyone by all means. We absolutely respect the DIY builders out there and value the community and the feedback.

Passion is what drives us to make the best possible product we can.

3 Likes

If anyone is interested, we just launched a Kickstarter campaign for Jed Boards.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jedboards/the-jed-board

1 Like

Good luck, but i think you’ve rushed in.

also since the drivetrain is your big innovation it would be nice to actually see some explanation or comparisons.

2 Likes

Agreed, some comparisons would be nice. Each have their ups and downs. My biggest concern with this drivetrain is gear wear. With belts, power is distributed to more teeth because obviously the belt wraps around. With this direct gear set up, how long can we expect these gears to last?

Some of us use our electric skateboards a lot. I have been using my board for about 6 months and have over 1,000 miles on it.

1 Like

The drivetrain is being engineered to last 2 years at minimum. The thick urethane of the Kegel wheels will give you a good amount of wear before the wheels need changing.

Our drive train is very quiet and we will be posting more videos up on KS and our YouTube channel.

We’ve been working on this for over a year and it’s been something that’s been in the works for a number of years as a concept here.

The gears are not just off the shelf gears, everything has been designed for the purpose of the Jed Board taking into account forces being applied and dynamic loading during acceleration and braking.

With every day use we expect 2 years from the drivetrain and at least 5 years from our battery pack charging every single day.

1 Like

5 years charging everyday is more than 1500 cycles, while most liion batteries are rated for about 500. How do you manage that? Somebody before said it was a lipo, but that would be even worse. Maybe a LiFePo?

By ensuring we don’t deplete cycles unnecessarily when charging the pack. We de-rate the pack.

The batteries are lithium ion Panasonic batteries, same as used in the Tesla Model S and Model X.

Personally, for me, it seems your USP is your drive-train, but other than a brief overview on the kickstarter page you don’t go in to it enough. I understand you want to protect your IP but people need to know why it’s better than anything else.

For me the video is a bit underwhelming, not enough jazz or real world use demonstration. ie. What are the regular problems from most electric skateboards on the market, how does Jedboard overcome that… etc.

Apart from wanting to build my own board anyway, I don’t feel excited about the product or feel it’s a must-have for me to part with my hard-earned cash, maybe a new video is in order?

You could do with some renders of the final product also because (and we know they’re prototypes), the images in the video and in the gallery make it look more like a DIY project than a polished end product like the boosted board for example. Like, I note you’ve got the wires going from one enclosure to the other, in the final product, will they be in-bedded in the board or on show like that?

On the note of the drive-train, I can’t tell from the photo you have in the gallery, or the still from video, but I’d hope that those teeth on the pinion and sprocket are quite deep, like a few mm at least, because honestly, I think you’re going to get some kind of travel/movement between the two and then you’ll run in to trouble like teeth not aligning and cog slippage which would lead to teeth stripping.

But, we could all be wrong I guess, I wish you luck.

Appreciate the feedback. The video we’re working on cleaning up a little, it was re recorded this afternoon :slight_smile:

The pinion and gears use a helical setup and the final production pieces were working on at the moment have fairly tight tolerances for alignment that we are working towards. The gears will have a bearing to ensure they pull in and stay aligned without slippage.

We’re working closely with caliber on the tolerances for mounting to their trucks. The original plan was to make our own trucks which we’ve designed to be machined from 7075 billet. Unfortunately at this stage it’s a little too costly for us to go that route.

1 Like

If you rotate the motor pulley/cog wheel such that the fat bit is facing outwards then there is less leverage on the motor bearings which in turn relates into a longer lifetime of these components.

Where are you guys based in Sydney?

@captainjez all the best with the kickstarter campaign… good too see new innovation.

1 Like

Helical set up, This right here sounds pretty exciting.

1 Like