Is it possible to make an offroad build with a regular deck?

@Seikeau: Those are just some chinese no-name 550W/70KV hubs with 90mm tires. From Aliexpress. You can find same at Banggood. It is good that material is the same as an rubber belt, and superglue really sticks to it.

@TheFluffiest: I have been rolling about 20km today on snow and rubble. Mostly rubble. There seems to be no significant wear and the superglue holds. And when it eventually wears, it’s easy to reapply. I have no experience from those wheels. I would have got that kind, but they need external motor and i just like hubs.

Just took the maiden ride with nylon motor mounts and pulleys, printed with 7 perimeters and 50% infill. Worked perfectly! I actually found angled risers from an old board, so I am using those

1 Like

The ride seems like it would be super bumpy… how did that feel? Or did you do the tread in a way that keeps it round? I just took a quick peek, didn’t realize those were hub motors. Very creative solution!

Yea, the treads are just close enough that it doesn’t make an bumpy ride. I have my front light rattling because it has became loose, so i don’t know how much the tires make noise. I gotta fix that, it’s annoying. Next time i’m making the treads V-shape straight away, or better pattern. As you see on the picture, they are made from little stripes.

Let me know how those motor mounts hold up, I am super curious as to the durability. I know people use 3d printed pullies but idk about mounts

I plan to ride for a bit and get back for sure. I will be posting pictures tomorrow hopefully! I hit some pretty bumpy roads and they handled it with no problems. I made a minor adustment, and it didn’t look like there was any wear on the pulley or mounts at all!

Exactly how off-road are we talking? Bumpy roads and potholes are definitely easier to deal with on pnumatic tires and such but you probably don’t need a true off-road ride unless you’re doing this:

I would very, VERY much like to do that. Do you think that is possible with a modified longboard deck? I more meant like riding around in parks, maybe bike trails and such.

I would say it’s possible, with some caveats:

1. Use a flat deck for maximum clearance. Better yet, maybe a boosted deck with the"arc".
  2. Mount all of your electronics on top of the deck.
  3. Reinforce/waterproof EVERYTHING!

I’ve seen it done before, not necessarily on an electric board, but as a makeshift longboard.

Why mounting on the top of the deck? I would assume to avoid hitting debris on the ground? I will keep all that in mind, thanks!

I also think it’s the best idea. You can cut it in shape of Trampa decks. Just need to find a wide enough one. Trucks https://www.mbs.com/parts/12008-mbs-ats-truck-1 and you have nice setup :wink:

That’s correct. It would probably also help to put everything in some kind of hard case for the same reason.

Sounds good to me. I will make sure I do that, and that I find a board long enough to hold that!