Inner gear direct drive gearbox

I have some 149’s in a box I’m going to swap out, just need the time.

1 Like

Very very nice build! Love this project you got going. Hey, it’s there any way to make a 1:1 drive ratio for the smaller wheels, or Gummies?

I originally only wanted a Carvon system, but I’m very much interested in this design your working on. Seems now, a better solution even over the Carvon’s IMHO… Fanatic work! Really liking forward too the new project your working on for a smaller sized wheel…! :smile:

1 Like

I’ve been through a lot of mud and dirt with my Inner Gear drive and i assume that the dimensions are roughly similar with @Kug3lis one and i don’t see anything on the outside of the gears. Could be because the material of my gears is a lot more flexible than POM but i think you would have to hit a really hard piece of something on purpose in the right angle to effectively damage anything.

1 Like

I remember someone said that in last video BLDC was overcoming the sound of gears so here is a small outside run with FOC until it started to rain. Sorry for the quality

https://shop.3dservisas.eu/products/fatboy-dual-direct-drive-motormounts-for-trampa-mtb-v2

Todays ride, was not riding full potential as was using FocBox without proper cooling

1 Like

Do you think helical (or maybe even herringbone gears) would improve this system? After seeing Nowind’s new direct drive with helical gears and the apparent much quieter ride I was wondering if this would be something you will try in the future.

1 Like

Would be an improvement noise wise, but you need crazy machinery. Normal helical gears require 4axis machining, these would need 5th axis.

with “these” you mean herringbone? Well either 5axis cnc or a metal 3D printer :wink:

I mean helical or heringbone, they both need the same machinery. Sls parts probably could work, but not sure how these parts deal with abrassive forces, and these printers are even more expensive than some 5 axis :confused:

1 Like

This style gear I think would be impossible as helical, because you have only one side of access so I cant imagine how to mill inside of it at the different angle.

https://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/optimized/3X/a/9/a92fa8d350afab64e5096f74052fe6311725179b_1_375x500.jpg

P.S. Early easters sale

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/easter-deal-fatboy-dual-inner-gear-drive-train-1-5-reduction/50287/

You gotta believe! This is no helical nor an inner gear, but maybe you can immagine better with this: 5 axis mill vid

I understand, but there are no space for the mill to enter the deepest grove inside with any possible axis configuration :smiley:

Sorry, by using CNC lathe with special cutting head its possible to make it :smiley:

Or just use a abnormal long endmill, and you can reach almost everything. Internal heringbone wouldn‘t be a problem on a 5axis, but getting access to said machine is.

Or make a helical gear without a backplate and a backplate seperately and then bolt them together

We are not going to make a helical inner gear as it’s not possible with our machine.

so buy a new machine!

Lol… buy me one and i‘ll make you 3 free sets Cheapest one i know…

1 Like