Inner gear direct drive gearbox

80** will not fit as the axle and motor distance is too small… You can see in pictures. Plus 6384 is more than enough.

Here is the final product how it looks. I got mine shipped to me today so I will be testing it next week I guess. If everything alright it should be available to buy right away :wink:

20 Likes

Shit that looks great.

Does it have any Sealing to avoid Dirt/Mud/Sand getting into the Gears ? And what Lube do you use ?

Notger

Any estimations what the Price will be for a dual Gearbox ?

There are sealing, dirt, mud, sand will fly out as it spins (like centrifuge) no lube is required as I am riding my board no lube for over 500km (the old style lot smaller gears).

Plus the metal gear was covered in the special material which is really hard to break so it should stay in the same shape for decades.

If I understood correctly it should be less than 400€ + shipping

2 Likes

P.S. It does not get outside of the wheel…

3 Likes

really nice! wow

how is ground clearance compared to the gearbox version?

Bit higher, but its really short like 2cm width I think, so I don’t think you will be going ride your board 2cm away from wheel on border some kind so it should not much matter now :wink:

P.S. Its kinda the same as just pulley I just realized :smiley: As that whole black thing spins together with the wheel

How will it fly out of the gear based on centrifugal force? I get that i will fly outwards to the teeth, but there is no force getting it out through the small gap once it’s really inside.

I have to clean my inner gear drive teeth everytime i go through really heavy mud, no matter how small i make the gap between motor mount and gear, however my gears are the tiniest bit flexible so it isn’t as bad when it clogs up and it’s clearly audible before it gets too bad.

2 Likes

If you had it in hand you could easily print a 3d flexible gasket

I already played around with some models for that, if i find time to print one i will do. Probably the same Nylon/PC Blend i use for the gears already.

Flexible may be better as it squashes which helps for clearances and has no need for mechanical strength in this application

2 Likes

If it’s printed thin the material is flexible enough i guess, but i think i didn’t get earlier that you meant that th part should touch the gear. In that case some really squishy filament might be needed and i’m afraid my modded cr10 could not do that.

I can see dirt and debris from wear and tear accumulating and becoming compacted in the teeth valley on the inside spur gear. It’s a great design but like everything else will need maintenance now and then. I can say steel on steel gears are strong. I haven’t found a power limit that the 32p (mod.8) gear can’t hold. My setup starts with 8.44:1 9pinion 76spur and can run any size pinion. How about pinion size options for gearing? Be a nice option…

1 Like

Yes of course it needs maintenance, but i have a feeling that my PC/Nylon gears can stomach a lot more grit between the teeth than regular 100% stiff steel or POM gears. Not saying they are necessarily stronger, but if have a feeling that they won’t block as easily. I’m not sure though, haven’t gotten that many kilometers on them.

That’s impressive, i saw pictures of your gears and wondered what module they are but i didn’t think they would be just 0.8. But i still think that it’s very brave to run them without some sort of enclosure :sweat_smile:

I don’t know what @Kug3lis has planned for his gears but different pinions shouldn’t be an issue as long as they don’t get too big since the motors are really close already to the hanger. There isn’t much room though, maybe 14 teeth Modul 2 on mine tops.

Inner Gear Drive would be pretty cool with Inrunners since you could save a few mm’s on motor diameter and even secure the motor directly on the hanger.

I have a light weight 4pole Inrunner setup with 40mm cans that makes 8400w but it needs an 8:1 ratio to run a 90mm wheel. 40mph board and has more torque under 5mph than a human can Handel. Inrunners and gear drives are made for each other… Moe B Biggs on Instagram: "SoCal Performance Day Nov 11 2017 SPD2. #esk8 #electricskateboard #esk8racing #esk8racinginternational #esk8squad #esk8builder #SPD2 #stoogeraceboards #nkp3link"

1 Like

Man thats sick. I don’t have any experience with inrunners but everyone is making them sound soooo goood. 8.4kW in a 40mm can sound absolutely bananas compared to our regular 6374 motors!

In my case the bottleneck would be the availability of gears since i don’t have a cnc, so i can partly only rely on what you find online for pinions. I don’t see a 8:1 happening with the usual mountainboard sizes of 8mm shafts and modul 2 +/+ 0.5. (unless using some kind of planetary system, @Riako? :wink:)

Anyways i think my 130kv 1:5.5 setup is more than enough torque right now on 200mm’s so im focusing more on the riding than development in the next months :smiley:

3 Likes

No like a gasket between cylinder head and block it would only touch the plate and the housing not the gears at all, if no bolts going through to hold it in place then design a ‘lip’

2 Likes

Guys if you go through mud baths then nothing will help even my old gearbox will need some cleanup. But for the normal day going through sand, grass and etc shouldn’t be much of a problem.

@banjaxxed regarding the lip it does not work very well :wink:

Inrunner are bit crazy as I see they are over 1k on KV… So I don’t know what kind of pinions you would want to run them.

1 Like

Current setup runs twin 5200w 850kv inrunners on the .8mod 120mm wheels

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bca24Y7jnb3/

8 Likes