Info >> Surf Rodz Spacers, Axles & Bearings

ROFL, that’s awesome.

Ive also been thinking about using an arduino nano to control PPM with a code/bluetooth input that would randomly full throttle and full break every 5 seconds, after a 60 second pause :slight_smile:.

1 Like

OK. Confession time. I bought the last pair of saffron colored adjustable RKP baseplates off sickboards the other day. Pulled my TKP’s of the front of my bludgeon and slapped the new ones on. Set the angle for about 37.5 and took it for a ride.

I am uncertain. The ride feel is completely different, almost alien as I havent ridden RKP is a long time now. I’m gonna give it another go. Might be back to TKP’s…

2 Likes

With RKP’s the only usable config I have found is wedge in the back and de-wedge in the front, about 5-10 degrees. I just can’t turn without the geometry change.

1 Like

It was you…

3 Likes

it was me. sorry!

2 Likes

I had them in my cart. Lol

3 Likes

That’s so funny :slight_smile:

1 Like

When you go back to TKPs, I’d love to help you get rid of those pesky adjustable baseplates. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m finally getting into the Surf Rod with you guys with my first set of RKPs. Well, whenever they actually finish processing my payment. :roll_eyes:

Thanks @mmaner for this very informative thread. Super helpful as always.

2 Likes

37.5 degrees is really low for the front unless you are only interested in high speed downhill action. Even then it may be too low. Set it around 50 for starters.

2 Likes

I bought a couple of sets of the chinese bearings. Have them on my front wheels now. Only one side of the wheel though. I find that the inner ring has veil (don’t know if thats the right word) and sits loose so I can wiggle the wheel a little. Especially after they have been ridden for a little time. Have you fund the same thing @mmaner?

I haven’t, do you mean that the one side of the bearing is smaller than the other?

@akhlut you saw that hanger from @Kug3lis for the RKP baseplates, right?

Mmmm gear drive on those adjustable baseplates sounds sooo good.

5 Likes

No this ring sits loose. So the whole wheel sits loose because of that rings veil. IMG_8326

1 Like

No, I haven’t seen that with mine, but I’ve only purchased one set. I think yours are bad, Id ask for a refund.

1 Like

I run 55 front 50 rear. If you run them positive rake it’s much more carvey. I also have double cone in the front which makes it super carvey. :+1:t3:

4 Likes

I just want to put this tip here so this headache does not happen to anyone else.

Put some anti seize or long life grease on the kingpin just where it goes inside the base plate.

I had my front truck king pin totally seized in the base plate after about two months of use. I was freaking out that my truck was toast. At first I thought the nut was cross threaded or the kingpin was rusted. But the kingpin is stainless steel.

I had to put a 2 foot breaker bar on the end of the allen key and it made a god awful screeching noise as I turned it. Took me like 20 mins to get it out.

After it was out I confirmed it was not cross threaded, cleaned king pin and it looked fine, I think it was just road grime that got in there. From wet weather riding. The fitment between the king pin and base plate has zero tolerance. Which is good for precision but increases risk of seizing.

As well as grease, I also give my kingpins a quick half turn back and forth once a week.

4 Likes

@Steven1 you should also grab https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WW71JUE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 Likes

Yep, and still dont have my SR @dareno!!!

2 Likes

What? What is this?

You sniped my SR and I’m cranky about it lol. Have you got them on a build yet or are they waiting?

2 Likes