Info >> Surf Rodz Spacers, Axles & Bearings

yeap! removed the grub screw before installing it.

it seems the inner thread and the shoulder were damaged. Hard to see whats inside the hanger, but it seems a helicoil type of screw, just saw on another thread. It seems pretty hard to replace.

Same thing happened to me. surprisingly surfrodz was really cool about exchanging my hanger without asking questions.

Use this email [email protected]

1 Like

Honestly? Throw the hanger away and start again. Like @Skunk said, get a replacement from SR. I wouldn’t ride that if you paid me. Those threads are the only thing keeping you from catastrophic failure.

And soak that bolt in some lye - the aluminum will come right off those threads.

1 Like

Yeah, its helicoil. I actually found some ribbed inserts that I think will work well but I cant find a part number and the vendor does not sell them anymore. You need a hydraulic press to fit them. I doubt Im gonna use them, if SR cant help you out let me know and I’ll send you a couple.

1 Like

I sent my extra hanger to @mikenyc maybe he got a replacement for his damaged hanger by now and can help ya out?

2 Likes

@Skunk - Thanks! Will shoot an email to them…will cross my fingers to get lucky.

@akhlut - …LOL…agree. The first thing that comes in mind is to fix it…but i understand…it’s the only screw that keeps the hanger in place…quite dangerous.

@mmaner - thanks bro, i will get in touch with SR…will let you know the outcome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They haven’t responded my email. It’s been over a month. I called a couple of times and got a busy signal :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Is there any specific precaution we should be taking to prevent the stripping from happening? Or is this only related to not removing the grub screw on the hanger?

I just decided to completely eliminate the grub screw and fill it with hot glue to keep water / debris from getting inside the hanger. Blue loctite is the only thing holding my axles in place.

1 Like

It seems that this problem confirms my original suspicion that the helicoil threads are not meant for press-fitting anything to the hanger. They work for the psychotiller mounts, but may not be sufficient for the even more burly @lrdesigns mounts. Might need a ram for safe installation of anything else :thinking:

2 Likes

Further to this, don’t use the grub at all. Over time it was score the axle and ruin your hangar. Just a bit of loctite and you’re good to go.

3 Likes

Time to take my grubs out then? Is it really an issue if both the axles and grub screws are blue loctited in and I’ll rarely remove them?

My first ride with 'em I didn’t loctite anything and lost a grub screw down the road.

It depends. If you use the surf rodz provided axles, using the grub screws should be okay as theres an indent in the shoulder bolt. Using grub screws with regular shoulder bolts will marr the bolt and potentially ruin the hangar though. Also, using loctite is always a good idea.

1 Like

yeap @PatRocks - The adaptor after is pressed all the way sits pretty tight. It doesn’t really need the pressure of the axle to stay there…so i don’t see any issue after is completelly installed. The real issue, you also mentioned, is on installation guide. The axle CAN’T be used to press-fit it. It’s not strong enough to hold it.

really…i sent them an email…maybe will try to call tomorrow :pensive:

1 Like

I see. The 50-70mm alxes SR provides have the cutout whereas the 80mm doesn’t. I have the 70’s so I’ll keep it for now.

1 Like

I actually received 80mm axles with cutouts, but YMMV. Not that it matters, blue loctite is plenty enough to keep the axles in.

2 Likes

Just spoke to mikaela, she’s been traveling a bit. I think she’s going to take care of it! @Skunk

5 Likes

really? :slight_smile: Thanks guys…you rock!

1 Like

bump

or as my friend alan chau says, ‘bomp’ hehe

3 Likes