Tuning vesc, shutdown but no fault code..SOLVED

its a standard bearing. with calipers you could measure the dimensions. 8mm shaft. dont have calipers

@flywithgriff. You donā€™t need to change anything. Are your vesc settings still the same as above? If so all you need is to increase motor amps max from 45 to 75-80. That will give you more torque on the low end without sacrificing speed or spending $$

All my settings are the same as above! I havenā€™t touched anything as I really canā€™t afford to blow a VESC!

Changing the max motor amps wonā€™t burn anything. The limit is the maximum amount of RMS cyrrent that goes into your motor.

Your maximum battery power is: 40A * 22.2V = 888W

You can get this at full speed since your motor limit is higher than your battery limit. But lets say at 50% max rpm, you get:

22.2V * 0.5 * 45A = 499.5W Voltage * (rpm/max rpm) * max motor amps = motor power

If your speed is even lower your max power is lowered even more. So to get more torque on the low end you need to increase motor amps.

You should still be safe though, as youā€™re not exceeding any battery or esc limits. The only thing to be careful with is the stupid amounts of acceleration you can get playing with this setting. You should also have enough buffer between it and absolute current for any transients

E: @flywithgriff if you make any of the changes suggested by others, your board will still be sluggish up hills since itā€™s limited in software not hardwareā€¦

i bumped the motor max up to 75. Im gonna ride it tomorrow after work so ill check it out and see what happens,

1 Like

Cool. That should give you an increase in power of 66% from 0-53% max rpm. After that youā€™ll be limited by the battery power output of 888W ish.

Half throttle to top end is more than enough already so if this allows for a pickup in acceleration and take off i will be a very happy man!

FYI. If top end gets scary stupid, you can adjust it by lowering battery max amps.

@flywithgriff Any updates

Iā€™ve actually torn the board down for reshape and a few asthetic changes. Should have everything back together next week.

What about a rocket motor?

http://hobby-hangar.co.uk/rocket-motors-accessories/13389-rocket-motors-b6-4-pk3-047776016064.html

Strap a couple to the back of your board and activate when you need something a bit extra :slight_smile: What could possibly go wrongā€¦

2 Likes

After riding my build around where I live I have noticed the roads and sidewalks are pretty rough and have quite a bit of loose sand and debris. I am currently running 83mm flywheel clones with 16/36 gearing. I have already ordered a set of 14/36 gears but I am curious if this will be enough for the wheel change. I am running a single 63mm motor on 6s. The rest of my build info is in the top of this thread.

Did the firmware edits not work?

Board is still down for rebuild. Iā€™m just curious about larger wheels while Iā€™m putting it back together. Ive ordered a 15t and 14t motor gear. Curious if I can get away with larger wheels.

if youre worried about getting the torque with larger gearsā€¦the way you have the vesc programmed youā€™re not getting near the low speed power you could get. get bigger wheels and up your motor amps

Iā€™ll upload pics of my current settings in the next couple of days.

Alright guys all my parts have arrived and Iā€™ll be putting the board back together this weekend. I want to thank you all in advance for the help I hope to receive fine tuning my VESC.

These are my current untested settings. Feel free to give your opinion!

I have tested these settings finally and my biggest concern is now brakes. They just donā€™t slow down much. I am interested in upping batt settings to help with low end torque as well. @PXSS

Low end torque is motor max not battery max. So you need to bump that higher. I would increase it in steps of 5-10A and see what you like. Again, I would not go past 120A

As far as brakes go, same thing. At low speeds, you need to adjust motor min and at high speeds battery min. Your battery can handle up to 5C charge according to the specs but I would limit it to 3C at mostā€¦ That translates to 24A, which is a lot imo. Same as above, start at 12 and slowly increase it to 15, 18, 21, 24 until you get to where you like.

Same thing with motor min, you can go as low as -120 but I like mine at -60, play with it and see what feels good for you

1 Like