In-wheel and regen braking

Belt driven transmission permit multiplication of torque…does this mean that the current created by regen braking in a higher ratio gear setup (over a given distance and time) will be lower than that generated by a lower ratio?

If so…taking this one step further…

Does this mean that direct transmission motors will create more regen current than indirect (all other conditions remaining equal)?

i think a hub motor will be able to create more regen simply because there’s less losses to the transmission but more so regen comes from being in the right level of braking…at some point you’re using electricity to brake and not getting regen. So how hard you are braking determines the regen I think. The vesc for example gets i think an average of 15 percent regen but that’s an average and if you were to constantly do…slow braking, or something, you could get more.

please post new topics in an appropriate category… like eboard electronics.

From a physics standpoint, if the weights of both setups are the same and the rate of decelleration is the same, the energy absorbed by the regen braking will be the same in both cases. The lack of additional drivetrain losses on a hub driven system will make it inherently more efficient, which means you’ll be able to recover more energy than you could with a belt driven system, where part of the decelleration energy is dissipated as heat from the friction in the drive system.

Don’t forget torque is not the only factor, you need to factor in the rotation speed as well.

Power P = 2 x Pi x M x n

M = torque n = speed of rotation