ICE CRUSHER | 16ply HOLYPRO | 4W chain drive MTB | 4x 6374 170kV APS | quad ESCAPE | Steering damper

Yikes, been hearing about the magnets falling off during motor detection. Also about the noise. I wonder if they’ve been having QC issues recently, would explain some of this.

Looking forward to to completion of this build!

1 Like

An unfortunate, common occurrence with Trampa. I too have played the ‘waiting game’ a few times and now make sure i order extra parts so I hopefully don’t get caught out as much in the future. Your build is coming along real nice and the videos are great as they help to show the areas that you ride. Thanks also for mentioning your current batt and motor settings - this gives people like me a bit of a ‘bench line’ for setting things up.

Dogs and moving objects…I once had a tricopter snatched from the air by a dog whilst flying FPV and didn’t even know it was there. I ended up with a broken prop and the dog ended up with multiple cuts to its snout. I guess the advantage with a board is that you have a better chance of seeing the dog, and possibly outrun it too.

3 Likes

Thx for your kind words. I usually try to drive slowly along dogs to make them not nervous… but this small dogs sometimes hard to see… they just jump out of the nowhere and want to bite your calves :joy:

Small update. I installed some head lights this weekend. I used this 12v lights Schau, was ich auf AliExpress gefunden https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bXJvmqfC

They get there power from this powerbar Schau, was ich auf AliExpress gefunden https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cGmkivom Which is kind a handy. It’s waterproof with space for 6x 18650 and a 12V and a 5V usb output. The usb plug was unfortunately totally crap so ich soldered on a xt60.

The headlights running with the 12V output and the LED stripe with the 5V output.

I made a quick 3D printed holder for the lights but don’t think it will stand the vibration long.

For now it works and I think for 25€ (without 18650s) the result is not so bad image image

9 Likes

The two dual escape cases close to be finished. Only needs new 5.5mm bullet connectors and I need to seal the phase wire holes with silicon from outside image image

9 Likes

Looking Good!!

1 Like

Had a long bus trip yesterday and didn’t know what to do. So I looked through some old videos and cut that together. Sure not the best one, but…

Also the 2x missing 6374 motors finally arrived. I sealed the sensor last week. Hope this week I have the time to extant the sensor wires and solder the last cables I’ll need.

2 Likes

Last weekend I finally had some time to put everything togehter. I removed the steering damper as I was not happy how it performed. Don´t know, maybe i´m making something wrong, but the steering damper is more lose than yellow dampas. Maybe @Pimousse or @Nowind you can tell me if that´s normal for the steering damper? I expacted a bit a wider range of adjustment and stiffnes. I can turn the front truck so hard that my wheels already close to the deck. Even with the tightest adjustment. honestly i even don´t feel any big difference between the stiffest and the losest adjustment. Maybe the damper is faulty, idk. So for now I changed to yellow dampas front, blue in the back. Hope that soon I´ll get my ordered elastomer damper from @nowind and with it my problem solved anyhow.

IMG_6943

The dual ESCapes are connected via CAN and each side has it´s own GT2B receiver I paired to one remote.

IMG_6954

Both sides independent from each other. Means I have a 12S1P Lipo pack for my front ESCapes and a 12S1P Lipo pack for my back ESCapes.

My initial ESC settings are Motor max 70A Motor min -50A Battery max 50A Battery min -15A

Unfortunately I couldn´t take it out for a test ride, but I hope during the week or latest on the weekend I´ll get an opportunity for it. I´m interested how it feels compaired to the dual drive and how much range i´ll get with it.

IMG_6956

IMG_6955

11 Likes

Seems smart in terms of reliability, but do you plan to increase capacity eventually? Also, really loving the dual ESCapes, how are you finding them? And how was the pairing process of the 2 receivers to the one remote?

1 Like

Independant setup for front and rear sounds smart ! You miss. The CAN BUS added value though (for an overall monitoring for instance).

Regarding the damper, I defo feel a difference in adjustement ! I often set it up while riding when the road conditions change (e.g. going out of a heavy AT ride in forest to a asphalt bicycle path). I only change front setting. I borrow my board a friend (she’s like 60kg or less) and the setting needed to be really fine for here (she could feel a difference between 2 knob clicks). Maybe yours is faulty ?

I have another setup with stock Trampa trucks and red dampas. I can’t turn at all even with totally loose springs. I’ll swap front trucks for trying this new board and deck with steering damper. But for me it’s defo a added-value !!

1 Like

I bought a second set of 4 Lipos. My build is already heavy and it takes just 2 min to swap the packs. I hope for 12-16km with one set, so about 30km with both sets. I think that´s enough range for me.

The ESCapes I got in the second round of the group buy. Took ages till I got them, but as the motors took even more long this wasn´t an issue.

The pairing is easy. I just switched on one side and paired the receiver. Than switched off and switched on the other side and did the pairing procedure. After that both receiver paired to the remote. I just had to adjust the fail safe on both receiver again.

1 Like

How are you liking the chains?

I also think that something is wrong with the steering damper. If I remember right you wrote an how to install on the steering damper. In it you write that you can turn the trigger (or how ever it´s called :sweat_smile:) 360 degree in endless and as soon as you reached on round it start set up from the lightest setting. This I can´t with mine. I can turn from 12 till 10 o clock and that´s it. The thing is to order a new damper for 60€ or more just to try out if it´s getting better or no is expensive. But I don´t know a way to find out if the damper is working right or not.

1 Like

I like them a lot and I like the sound! I don´t like that they more heavy (especially the wheelpulleys) and that they more stiff. Means with belt you have a bit more tolerance when adjust your drive train. I think I lose 2km of range with them too. But it´s definitly worth it for my purpose. I would rather go with a gear drive, but for quad it´s kind a too expensive for me at the moment. Especially as I have two other projects to finish too.

1 Like

I have two bluetooth modules. One for the front one for the back. Two different apps on the phone to monitor. I think with it I have enough moitoring options.

I didn´t wanted to run a CAN-Bus cable over the whole length of my deck. Not sure if I would need a shielded cable for it too.

CANBUS is meant for applications like car, so you’ll find meters and meters of CANBUS wire. One meter long for your setup wouldn’t be an issue I guess. Even not sure you need a shielded cable. But this is not so tricky if you use a Ethernet S-FTP cable for instance.

Regarding the steering damper, that makes sense ! Can’t you use kind of warranty or so ? Where are you living ?

I live in Russia and I bought it from China. Don’t think I have any oportunity to get warranty on it. Even if i‘ll need to sent it back which would already cost half of the price. Where did you buy your steering damper?

I got a pair on the french eriders FB group (unused). I can’t tell where the guy bought them but I can ask if you need.

1 Like

Just if I buy a new one I want to be sure I get one which is working and not a fake or broken one. That’s why I asked. If it’s not a big deal, than yes please ask where he got his damper from.

Hope you can try the beast soon, 4WD must be sick!

You’ll love them :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: especially on streets

1 Like