ICE and SNOW DIY Studded Tyres / Tires ( DIY video added) UPDATE

Great video and nice explanation :ok_hand: Keep going!

If I go out for a walk with my drone in the winter, I add one or two of this heat pads to my lipos. They hold everything nice warm for about 8-12h and cost 1-2$. image

I think if you start from a warm place you will not get problems with your batteries as they heat up when in use. Will hope to have an opportunity to test it out with my board this year when it getā€˜s -20 to -30 degrees :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Have been running the studs and have not lost one. Have approx. 30 miles on the studded wheels. In the video everything is correct however one addition I would make is to construct a fume hood and attach your canister vacuum or Melie vacuum with hepa filter.

I just took a gallon water jug, cut the bottom off and attached the suction hose and placed the vacuum outside the garage door and lowered the door to about 2 inches as not to pinch hose. Find a way to attach over your board and tire you are working about 10"ā€¦Start the vacuum and it will exhaust 95% of the burning tire smell.

Worked really slick and fumes sucked up and exhausted out of space.

It took me 30 mins per tire and each got close to 50 studsā€¦

Good luck and feel free to ask questions,

Kevin

5 Likes

Is this only for 9ā€ tire or have you tried 8ā€?

I have only done 9" but I do not see an issue with 8". What tire are you thinking? You need a min of 4mm of tire wall thickness and for safety would suggest closer to 6mm of wall thickness.

For everyone in doubt you can skate on snow and ice just install some studded wheelsā€¦I think these could climb up trees. They make some noise as expected but they grab surface like no otherā€¦I will try to get a videoā€¦on the road. Only 20F and dropping but will see what I can do.

@ksfacinelli can you try and find some 8ā€ wheels that this works with??

@Trdolan03 These are pretty niceā€¦however 7" but should work wellā€¦

@ksfacinelli

@Trdolan03 These are also a good possibility however i would only use MTD studs as listed above from bike studs.

https://www.amazon.com/MBS-Vine-Tire-ea-200x50/dp/B0797DGS5F/ref=sr_1_64?ie=UTF8&qid=1542498093&sr=8-64&keywords=200x50+tires

I would out the stud in the dimple on first row knobby from center threadā€¦

Short videoā€¦sorry about quality had my dog with me an toward the end she saw another dog and pulled really hard to go see a friend.

The sound is accurate and on ice and snow is much lessā€¦

2 Likes

Does anyone have any advice/experience on Diyeboard AT tires? Iā€™m looking for a relatively inexpensive set up, but I donā€™t want to die either. I know that site overall isnā€™t good, but I donā€™t see how easy it is to mess up tires. Or, are there any sets below $150 out there?

8ā€œ or 9ā€œ what you looking for? If 8ā€œ than order here

Order 2x2 instead of 1x4 and you also donā€™t pay shipping.

Thors are used buy some of us, me included. They have a very hard compound which also last pretty long. Good cheap tires.

1 Like

Iā€™m new to the area just moved to Wahpeton from california I could use some tips on winterizing my skate . Iā€™m experienced rider and builder ā€¦ love the knobby tires you made ā€¦ Would love to get an outline on what I got to do and maybe where to find stuff locally.

I know this is an old thread now but is there any company that sells 9in or 8in wheels for evolve/ownboard trucks? Its on a custom build.