I want to build a monster mountainboard

A 8s will not really be enough power for a mountain board

1 Like

I think he mean 8p instead of 5p 18650s

Sounds like you want to use belt drive? Belts snap when riding in snowy conditions, since snow compacts and fills the gaps of the wheel and motor pulleys. Tension increases.

Only valid drive without too much maintenance is something that is fully enclosed. Found clearance to be an issue with gear drives, so if you have rocks larger than 5 cm make sure you go with a gear drive and wheels that support 9 inch wheels.

1 Like

I have this battery configuration on a quad and I get 15km out of it. In the winter probably a bit less even. Just that you have a number what to expect.

No one cares lol. Its what we call them. Dont like it? Go think of some more letters to add and come back. We’ll grade you.

2 Likes

Check out @Idea if you want a more “local” source for belt drive mounts. I think he has some gear drives in the works also, though I’m not sure about eATsk8 applications. He’s based in Poland, I think.

And of course, the go to for AT gear drives (and also belt drives): @Nowind / E-Toxx. Plus, the helical drives are deadly quiet, if that’s what you’re into. He’s based in Germany.

3 Likes

Yes, I ment 8P :stuck_out_tongue: But I will probably go for LiPo’s instead. Thanks for all your help! I will probably go for 4x VESC 4.12 instead then and install a proper BMS like the one I have on my current board. I used that with LiPo’s too in the beginning and that worked just fine. I will check out some kind of chain-drive instead then and consider an even higher capacity LiPo setup. So the list is changed:

1x Trampa mountainboard - 500€ 4x VESC 4.12 - 320€ 4x Motor mount with chain-drive system - ?$ 4x DIYElectricSkateboard 6380 170kV motors - 480€ 6x 6S 5000mAh LiPo’s in a 12S3P configuration - ?$ 1x Battery case (generic) - ≈ 50€ 1x Simple Controller - 40€ 1x 12S BMS (just for charging) - 60$

I just checked the above listed parts with the http://calc.esk8.it where I see that my top speed will be around 24mph. I’m used to a top speed of around 31mph on my current board. Do you think I will be happy with the 24mph considering the great torque and off-road capabilities? Maybe I should just go for the 190kV motors instead…

(These values are based on the DIYElectricSkateboard Trampa Mount - 12T / 72T and the 200mm trampa wheels)

If you want more speed with that setup I would get bigger motor pulleys so you you belts don’t skip, you get a higher top speed, and can keep the bigger motors

1 Like

9“ is the key :wink: With 8“ you will not be happy over time. Not with what you plan to build. Not saying 8“ is bad for emtb, that’s not right, but if you want that „monster“ you claim 9“ is the minimum

4 Likes

You still want to go belt drive? Belts and snow really not ideal. Get a 1:5 chain drive and 9“ and you will be faster than you can ever reach.

2 Likes

I will go 9" then! And yes I will go chain drive but I just figured the size of the sprocket would be equal to a 72T pulley. Oh, ofc I should go bigger on the motor and also help the belt from skipping. My other board uses a 16T on the motor. Thank you all! I could never have thought of all this all by myself :smiley:

No sprockets are different counts. Like 10:40 or 10:50 something like this is what you need. With 9“ more to 1:5 as i would say. 55km/h as top speed is pretty good gearing. As min thats my opinion. Different people different taste.

2 Likes

I would go for 2WD and choose quality components only. The money you save will allow you to do so. 4WD doesn’t make the board any better, just heavy and less agile. Two properly geared 6380 motors produce enormous power, more than you can handle in most off-road situations. It’s frightening already… I would not go for HW 4.xx based ESCs. The three phase shunt design of the VESC 6 is so much smoother and super linear in power delivery, it makes all the difference in your ride experience. The more power you have, the better control you need! Two shunt ESCs tend to “jump” from one power level to another, especially between 60-100% duty cycle. On a low torque build this is not so tragic, but on a powerful 4WD, it can be very noticeable and annoying. Traction control also works a lot better with three phase shunts! If you have a bit of patience, you might want to have look at our website in a couple of weeks. We have something very delicious available soon, going hand in hand with a brand new software release by Mr. Vedder.

1 Like

What defines «better»?

4WD makes it hard to lift the front wheels when you face obstacles like curbs or when you simply want to lift the wheels to get a tight turn. The weight is higher, handling feels less natural, electronics get more complicated, potentially more parts that can fail on you, a lot more expensive, big batteries are required etc. If you have a certain budget, I would rather have a proper 2WD than a 4WD with compromises. It’s all a matter of preference and budget, sure. I don’t want to dis-encourage anyone from building a monster.

1 Like

The 4WD is only for better grip in harsh conditions

Think about studs or snow chains too. Helps a lot with the grip. I had already very good success with this wheels from @MBS

1 Like

Thanks alot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can anyone help me out with the trampa board parts? I have zero experience with mountain boards and I’m having trouble deciding what I want :joy: Any recommendations on a good trampa board setup? Wheels, trucks, deck, bindings etc… :slight_smile: