I need help! Im doing my first build and i have no idea what to buy!

okay. everyone is talking about how hard it is to set up the vesc. Why is it more difficult?

also what is the benefit of higher c batteries. I was recommended 20c batteries but what would 25c or 30c batteries do to the performance of the board?

and how many teeth should my gears be? I will probably ride 70mm-80mm wheels. Maybe alittle bigger

I have used 20C and 30C batteries and they both work quite well. the only difference (if any) is that the 30C maybe feel a tiny bit smoother on acceleration. maybe Iā€™m imagining it. its hardly worth worrying about.

seriously though, are you reading the articles or just waiting for someone to tell you what to buy?

thanks. Im just gonna stick to the battery i had in mind then. Yes i did read the articles.

Iā€™d look around at some buildā€™s and write ups on the forum rather than just spamming a bunch of questions: I know you just want to figure out what you need to buy, and believe me, weā€™ve all been their at some point: you just gotta do some research yourself too.

But to answer your ratio question. If you are going with 6s, and a really low kv motor (like less than 200kv) than you might have to gear it up higher than 14:36 (thatā€™s the stock gearing for enertionā€™s kit, and torqueboardā€™s is somewhere around the same). Like maybe bumping it up to 16:36 or even higher depending on what top end speed you want. if you are around 245ish kv, then stock gearing on 6s is totally fine. For higher voltages, like 12s, you are going to want to get a really low kv motor (below 200kv- more like the 150-190 range) and possibly gear it down a little, but its not totally necessary.

personally, Iā€™d just stick to 6s, get a turnigy sk3 or a tacon160, and leave the stock gearing (if youā€™re buying a mount and pulley together) or go somewhere around 12:36 to 16:36 depending on how high or low your kv is. higher kv: gear down (like 12:36) lower kv: gear up (like 16:36) higher kv is something like a 270, 280, or 290. lower kv is something like 190, 200, 213. middle of the road is like 236, 245,260 these numbers are all for 6s by the way

1 Like

Lolā€¦ Are you taking the piss? Thatā€™s aussie slangā€¦look it up.

Seriously dude you need to be willing to self educateā€¦ we all had to learnā€¦ everyone on here is donating their time for free and we are all happy to helpā€¦ but only if you help yourself first!.

Most of your questions have been answered already in the articles. If you donā€™t understand the articles i linked please post on that thread and ask about a specific part of the article that is not clear to you & we will do our best to explain it in a different wayā€¦

1 Like

Ive read everything on here and looked at a lot of builds on youtube and on blogs. The second to last post was super helpful. I joined this to get help, and it has been super helpful. I talked to one of my professors today and Iā€™m going to get some more help from other students and professors soon. I should have access to some pretty sweet stuff. Im going to decide what to buy soon and just go for it. I will keep you guys posted. Im going to vlog my progress when i get the parts. I will definitely keep you guys posted. Sorry for asking the same things multiple time. This is my first build like this. I have shaped many longboards, but never thought about adding motors. I have no experience with electronics, so all of your help is appreciated.

And I have been self educating, but I have also been going to school and running a business, so I havenā€™t had a lot of time or brain space to research everything. I joined this because this is the only place you can really get good information specifically for eboards. It is impossible to find reviews on most of the products I look at and all the numbers can be quite overwhelming. Especially with Calculus and Physics and Chemistry still on your mind.

I think the point Onloop was trying to make was there are already topics to read about pretty much every question you asked three times. Thereā€™s also a search function at the top right of this forum. We all have Jobs,school, kids and lives outside of this forum too. Keep in mind all the time we donated to you for all of your questions more than likely wasnā€™t free time.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t referring to you Lox! Though, you seem a little fickle with our decision makingā€¦

Firstly, no one should take offence or be discouraged here! Asking questions is the most important thing you can do and you should always ask question when learning any new topicā€¦

but there is also some generic ā€œforum etiquetteā€ that should be followedā€¦

think of it like the genie in the bottle.

It goes somthing like this; if you are a new member who is not able to help others yet so you get to ask just 3 questions. Any question you likeā€¦ but make sure itā€™s a good one! Make sure itā€™s not already one thatā€™s been asked! And make sure cannot find the answer anywhere else.

If you follow this rule you achieve a few things

1. You learn alot because you had to read everything to see if your question is already answered.
  2. You automatically become a contributor, because the question you asked was a new one that didnā€™t already exist.
  3. You donā€™t waste other peopleā€™s time.

It took me around 6 months of reading and learning before I started my own buildā€¦

1 Like

I agree with @onloop I didnā€™t mean to be mean on my comment that has now been deleted. Sorry @csfrasher

Seriously guys you have been awesome! I need to do more research.

in america that means urinating lol

cracks me up every time i hear somebody say it in the aussie context because of that. but that may be because iā€™m a child.

LOL yeah piss is so versatile.

piss = urine piss = beer pissed = drunk pissed = angry taking a piss = urinating taking the piss = joking taking the piss out of someone = ridiculing

I donā€™t know anything about Australian shipping types. @onloop What is the best shipping type you offer on your website? My google searches have turned up nothing helpful. haha

these are my options

get the cheapest one!

1 Like