I DID IT GUYS ! I built it

Where you typically surf? One of my favorite spots is San Alejo beach when I’m down in SD.

1 Like

San Elijo is a good spot, Iv’e been there when it was overhead, walled up and steep! (adrenaline time) I have surfed all over San Diego over the years but now I mostly surf Pacific Beach from Law street to PB Point. I surfed Sunset Cliffs last Saturday, first time in years. It was fun. Sometimes I’ll head up to Carlsbad on the weekend. Tamarack is a fun beach break that lines up pretty well at low tide and it’s not very crowded.

Where do you surf in LA?

1 Like

I would recommend trying these instead of Zippy compact.

And I would recommend the Mini RC remote over a Gt2e. It’s much more compact and very reliable. It uses 2 AA batteries. I use 2 Lithium AA’s and they last a long time

2 Likes

Mini rc remotes are awesome, we use them for about a yr now, no issues and energizer batteries in them last forever.

2 Likes

So totally forgot about the anti spark connection and I’m assuming that’s a very important thing to have because it could fry my vesc if I don’t have one correct ? So I would have too get (4) tx90, two connect to a serial connector with one on the closure, one xt90 to connect to the vesc and the last xt90 too make the loop anti spark ? Let me know if I’m wrong

You won’t fry the VESC by not having an antispark it will fry the connectors, the spark happens where there is a small gap as the connection is made between the batteries and the VESC but it comes from inrush current filling the capacitors on the VESC from the battery. If you are running 12S it can damage the connectors charring them, at 10S it just makes an unnerving noise but haven’t had it fry the connectors entirely, still good to have it, also in my case the anti-spark is my loop key, only requirement for the loop key is it’s a part of the circuit you can remove but makes sense to use the antispark there and have it be the first/last connection.

So you put the antispark connector on there and the connector itself doesn’t spark when hooking batteries to the VESC, you really only need one anti spark plug and could just use one pair of xt-90 for between the battery and the VESC but typically want to use XT-90s to be able to attach/detach other things so it’s good to get 1 antispark and a box of regular ones so you have a few extra around (also good to have some spare 12AWG silicone coated wire around)

Swappable Batteries

1 Like

Haha you were right. Had too do this in order for the wheel to spin. Honestly was fun though, now I know for further

Is this correct :grimacing: Will be running 3 ZIPPY Compact 5000mAh 3S 25C Lipo battiers My next thing too do is try & make the anti spark part

My closure that I had too cut some stuff off. The mistake I made is that Idk if the height of this will fit my lipo batteries :grimacing: My batteries should come by later next week so I’ll know later. Also the 3 bullet connectors from motor won’t go straight since no room. If anything Ima have to put them on the side of the closure or something & motor won’t get here til Monday. Even the LCD screen look like it’s gonna be a problem. Wanted it on the side but don’t think it’ll fit so I’m guessing the top is the only way it seems. Ether way I refuse to let this be a problem & be creative. Time too brain storm :thinking:

Adrelaline time is the best time to surf :wink:

I usually surf sunset beach or Huntington pier if the surfs good. I’ve always wanted to ride my eboard to the beach, go surfing, and ride home. But there’s always the problem of locking it up while I surf

1 Like

All the batteries just wire positive to negative, positive to negative and so on until you are left with only two wires left. Those go to the vesc

Cool got that part. What if the negative wire goes too a red wire ? That wire will still be a negative right ? The colors of the wire doesn’t matter just as long you know where negative wire & positive wire are correct ??

Awesome thanks I order couple extra xt90 just because. & plus I will have extra if I make another eboard :grin:

Yea coloring of wires doesn’t matter but convention is to keep positive off a battery red and negative black (that said always best to test with a multimeter instead of assuming anything if you’re taking things apart). You’ll have black wires going into red here from battery to battery.

If you start at the “negative” or better to think of it as “common/ground” somewhere there is no charge difference (voltage) between the VESC itself and the lead coming off the battery. Each cell in series adds to the voltage so 1 cell is 4.2V fully charged if you have 2 in series you have 8.4V between the “negative” or common and the positive side, when you hook batteries positive to negative it’s just as though you’re stacking more cells positive to negative so you’re just adding voltage (2 3S in series is the same as 6S). So if you measure the voltage between the “common/gnd” by the VESC and after your first battery (set of cells in series) you’ll see the full voltage (12.6V) of that battery. If you check the voltage after the second battery you should see the added voltage of all the cells in both batteries (25.2V).

This is probably the best visual explanation I’ve seen of how it all works to help you think about the flow of electricity:

Long story short your diagram looks fine to me and what patspeed said is right but the + is a different voltage depending on where you measure along the chain there (so the diagram is still correct but slightly oversimplified since the value itself changes there depending on which + you measure at).

Also regarding the xt-90s, for sure can never have too many.

1 Like

Got the motor/mount/flywheel/belt on Now just waiting on some 5.5mm bullet plugs for my batteries since I got the wrong size :unamused: (my fault should of read specs more careful)

1 Like

I see that we have the same issues. In my current build, I spent more time waiting for connectors, replacing connectors and making adapters than anything else. Good news is, I always buy a dozen of the connectors I need so I’m sure to have any for futures builds :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Is that ok where it says 11.54v ?
On the balance charge setting I put: 5.0Amp 11.1V Running 5000mah 3s 25C

Yep, it will end at 12.6v

So I got the vesc too work but my GT2E is not connecting with the BDLC I believe. It’s binded already Here’s the remote I’m using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073TWQRY1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It won’t let me post a video but I’ll post it tomorrow to show you guys. I wanna thank everyone here that helped me out. Tomorrow I’ll give you a guys a shout out I’m tired & I have work tomorrow lol