I burned my Vesc

they’re called probes.

2 Likes

I would appreciate if someone who is an expert, marks the pins where i need to check with my probes if anything is shorted. (where it has to conduct and where it doesn’t) If you need any closer images please tell me. (you can also show me a “blueprint” or electrical scheme of the VESC and tell me what to check)

First you can check if the Can Transceive is still good ?

And you can also check if you have 5v over the 5v pin, on one of the connector.

If you don’t have 5V, it is probably because the Drv is dead (since it is the one giving the 5V)

2 Likes

Ground and 5V pins are shorted

GND and 5V or GND and 3.3V… If it is GND and 5V YES the DRV is Dead

Yes obiously I know that the drv is dead, but do you know how to check other parts if they’re shorted?

The DRV is the heart of it… you have to remove it and check the other because if it is not removed, it will only give you wrong data when you will probe other things.

Okay, I understand.

Hello people. I recieved a new drv chip and removed the old one. Someone sugested, i should check if other componetns are damaged, when the drv chip is not present on the pcb. So I’m asking you guys, if you can tell me, how to check if mcu (ARMwhatewer) is still working

So the main things you want to check for is a short on the 5v and 3.3v rails. Also, you don’t have to go in the order I listed these in. You can test in any order.

Once you’ve verified those aren’t shorted go ahead and test each gate resistor for the MOSFETs. Their values should be 4.7 and 39k Ohms, it’s okay if they’re off by a tiny bit. For example, I get 5.5 and 38.87k Ohms on my multimeter.

Now you can test R40 through R51. These should all be 100 Ohms.

Next, go ahead and test R23, 24 and 32. These should be 39k Ohms.

Now that you’ve verified all of those are the correct values, go ahead and test your MOSFETs. You’ll want to test source to drain, so pins to tab. Set your multimeter in diode test mode and put your red probe on the pins, pick one of the two middle ones to avoid confusion, and then place the black probe on the tab. You should get a reading somewhere around 0.4-0.6 since some multimeters will give different readings. If you have a short or 0.005 or something like that, you’ll need to replace the MOSFET

And that’s how you repair a VESC… more or less

1 Like

Okay thanks for the quick anwser. I will test these tomorrow, because i dont have the burned vesc on me. I did some testing with my friend and first connected 12V on the V_SOURCE. But nothing happend. We figured out there is no 5V , so we decided to manually connect a power supply on 5v pins and the leds lit up. We also connected the whole thing to the computer and it did detect it! (so im guessing ARM is not damaged??) Now im still not sure why there is no 5V… (do i need to solder the DRV chip back on or sth?)

I hope all the components you mentined are okay. :slight_smile: I hope we can save this VESC

yeah the DRV as a internal regulator that provide the 5v, and as @ThermalM16 check the resistor specialy the 100ohms from r48 to r51 the are the one that usully got damage.

thanks for the info. will check em

Also I would never recommend artificially powering the 5V or 3.3V rail. If it’s done correctly you won’t have any issues, but out of the tons of VESCs I’ve repaired, I’ve never needed to do that. Also make sure the VESC is not powered during testing!!

turns out 2 middle mosfets are fried…

Does anybody know where can I order IRFS7530-7PPBF MOSFETS, from an european warehouse? I don’t want to pay ridicilous shipping just to order them from America (I live in europe). I checked farnell and many other websites, but they mostly don’t have them in stock. Any recomendations where to get them from?

Farnell does free shipping, tried mouser?