HYPER BEAST - 36" inch Deck With Integrated Enclosure! UPDATE!

Ok …let’s go back in time step by step.

1. First we have painted all the decks with polyester. Polyester did an awesome job in filling all the gaps and smallest micro holes in the carbon fiber. It gave the whole deck that smooth touch, but there was so much sanding I can’t even tell you. The thing with polyester is…is that you don’t want the layer to be too thick. You need to sand off as much as you can to get the layer as thin and as smooth as possible. Also we have added some additional fiber glass to reinforce some parts of the deck like wheel wells or parts where the battery compartment is. I think it took us good week to have everything properly sanded.

IMG_6393

fuck loads of sanding:

IMG_6394

IMG_6398

2. After polyester was applied and sanded everything had to be covered with nice coat of epoxy base.

3. After epoxy cured we had to sand it all over again but this time with about 400-600 grit This part of sanding was really important as this was the last time we had chance to get rid of all the imperfections that were left.

IMG_6432

IMG_6431

4. After sanding - nice thin expoxy base was applied again:

IMG_6433

of course after that epoxy cured we had to sand it again this time with 800 grit.

5. After that last base of epoxy was sanded we were ready to paint everything. We have used that hard polyurethane paint for yachts. We have applied two layers of it.

IMG_6442 (1)

IMG_6443

IMG_6454

IMG_6495

IMG_6493

6. After paint cured we had to flip over and paint all the tops:

1. After two layers of paint were applied we had to drill holes for trucks…and that shit was a real challange. Normally it’s not a big deal at all to drill holes as most of the decks are flat were it’s super easy to align everything properly. Because of the battery compartment sticking out and all the curves that the deck has we had to build a freaking template to get it properly done. Again .I was expecting everything to be easy …were as in reality it took us good three days to make the template properly aligned.

1. After we drilled holes, we have applied last layer of paint to cover all the spots that we drilled.

IMG_6490IMG_6491

As you can see guys there is nothing but hard work here and there is nothing I could do to get it made quicker. Everything had to be as close to perfect as possible before the paint was applied. The only part of the deck I didn’t really cared that much about is the TOP of the deck that goes under the grip tape. Also there might be some epoxy drip marks or coarse texture inside the battery compartment but to have it nice and smooth it would take me another year to have it done as nice as the exteriors - it’s all covered by the battery and electronics anyway - so please forgive if it looks rough.

There is also one decision that has to be made…and that is :

We need to decide whether we finish everything as it is now were we have nice and smooth polyurethane as it is …or do we go with one last thin layer of that TANK PROOF car paint I’ve been posting videos about a while ago.

Normally that paint is applied with hard thick COARSE texture where you can literally use a knife and nothing happens… hover meanwhile we were doing all the decks I had received a sample of that paint being painted with 30% thinner and with 1.8 air gun. The result is really really nice. This paint mixed with thinner is obviously not as bullet proof as on those video but it still looks like it should be literally scratch proof against rocks and debris. My gut is telling me that we should try it. I am picking up 50ml of that paint for testing today and I’ll try to paint it and see if I can replicate that texture that has been sent to me. Take a look at the photos. That small texture looks really nice, and during my tests I couldn’t scratch it.

**Boys again…sorry for the silence but I wasn’t even checking the forum for the past three weeks…I know you are all waiting for fucking ages, and started to worry if I am alive. **

I am on this project every single day just trying to have everything made awesome so thanks for understanding.

32 Likes

Thanks for the detailed update! Really happy to see how sexy it looks :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:. As for the tank proof paint, I’ll be totally with you on whatever you decide.

2 Likes

This project is your baby, even if its our wallets. Do what you feel needs to be done.

If it takes another month I really dont mind, just try to keep us updated. One small post a week does wonders for my paranoia…lol.

4 Likes

I think you should ship them with the poly coat, looks great.

4 Likes

+1 for poly coat

@NAF great to see these coming together …the tank paint seems to have a texture even at the end 30 but hard to see. Thanks for the update and hard work

+1 everything in this post. You’re doing a beautiful job making choices so far.

1 Like

I also vote poly coat

I assume since everyone is saying Poly that you are almost done. What is the ship ETA looking like?

I so wanted one of these to put hummies on you swine, I was almost hoping you eloped :sob:

1 Like

@NAF pm’d you about custom mounts I’m getting made… trying to have them made for when the deck ships

Boys I’ll answer all mail sometime tomorrow. I have f*ck loads of massages unanswered in my mail - I am sorry about that.

I should be posting new update later on tomorrow. We are in the middle of mounting all lids and assembling everything together.

One more thing !! I’ve picked up a sample of that scratch proof paint. All I can say at the moment that it is totally different than that polyurethane paint. It is super super thick and dense. To take it out of the box we need to scoop it with a spoon. Polyurethane on the other hand was super liquidy. Anyway …I have 50ml of that sample and we will use 30% thinner to get it more smooth. I am super curious how it will look like. We want to make a small test sometime tomorrow. I’ll be posting images. I want to get rid of the texture.

2 Likes

Really wanting to get my hands on one of these decks. Are you still planning a second or third batch and if so when are the likely to begin production?

Did u choose which paint yet? And what the eta?

1 Like

GUYS QUICK UPDATE :

• We had to manually cut down 90pieces of m4 screws to about 4mm…one of the most annoying things I’ve ever done. We needed those screws in order to be able to mount hinges to the lids.
  • All lids with hinges were mounted to the lids and today all lids were mounted to the decks. All lids open beautifully with those italian piston hinges. I am super glad we have managed to fit all the lids as this was my fear of having the lids too big due to 1-2mm cutting margin of each lid.

TO DO LIST FOR TOMORROW:

• we need to cut down studs for the buttons, and install them inside the decks
  • we need to install all the buttons and properly calibrate them so that they fit the studs.
  • three of the decks need to be painted with Polyurethane as last time there wasn’t enough paint
  • run a test with that scratch proof paint

LAST MINUTE TO DO LIST:

• cut and apply grip tape
  • pack and ship everything
5 Likes

Guys one more info about that paint. I know you like the look of polyurethane but you are underestimating that scratch proof paint. There was no time to test it yet but hopefully tomorrow after we install all the buttons I’ll try it out and see what structure can I get out of it. The thing with that paint is that it will basically make all the decks brand new for ever…at least this is what I am hoping for. Will see. I’ll make detailed photographs.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. Seems like you are very pushing the protective paint. I guess it doesnt hurt to see a test before deciding on it. It would be nice if you can keep a weekly update in the future even if not much happens.

1 Like

@NAF yo i pm’d you man when you get a chance nice one :wink: keep up the hard work :slight_smile:

6 Days cookin, any final decisions on the paint?

2 Likes

It’s been over a week since the last update, can we get some info as to when the decks will ship?