HW6.4 based ESC - ESCape

But dont you think, that defective caps or a loose connection in the caps, could give some sort of jitter / peake amps, and trigger the over-current ?

I would first thing with high current impulses suspect the motors, can be maybe some windings are shortening which makes the current shoot and because that stuff doesnā€™t really depend on speed that would explain the error.

Yeahā€¦ but the thing is, that i had the exact same problem with my old motors. And since itā€™s both the vescā€™s, i dont think itā€™s my motors

I filled the issue on vesc for wrong info in faults because the logic fails if your ABS current limit is 150 and in fault its -15A :smiley:

2 Likes

Cool thanksā€¦

I have pmā€™d Benjamin as well, but dont expect an answer anytime Soon.

Iā€™m running my ESCape with Hall throttle by using COMM 5V ADC1. Unfortunately, VESC tool can map only up to 3.3V, so I canā€™t use full range of my throttle. On my other setup with VESC 4.12 and BLDC tool I can map and set Max. V to match my throttle at about 3.85V and use full range. It looks like VESC tool is limited in that respect. Any thoughts on that?

Hello, Is there anyone how can help me? I got myself an ESCape Vesc and I am triing to connect it to my computer. The blue LED shines. Current from my power supply is also normal. I am not an expert with the Vesc 6 but is it possible that I got a Vesc without bootloader or firmware? The USB cable is also in best condition. Thanks in advance! Best Regards Julian

Processor is running on 3.3V you canā€™t supply more than it is operating, change it to 3.3V supply its just pot or get voltage divider 5v to 3.3V

Try different cables. If itā€™s a charge only cable you canā€™t connect. If thatā€™s not work, check if you have the right usb driver installed.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. Iā€™m surprised to hear that. Assuming that you are correct and the processor can handle only up to 3.3V, then why 5V power is provided? That is not good. VESC 4.12 provides both 3.3V and 5V. and obviously can handle both. VESC 6 is step backwards in that respect. I understand that I can use couple of resistors to divide voltage, but that is half-assing. On the other hand, the majority of hall sensors are running on 4.5-20V and you donā€™t need 3.3V on that connector, but it is there. It all doesnā€™t make sense. I guess nothing is perfect, but I can live with that.

Digital pins are compatible with 3.3V/5V. Processor uses 3.3V supply in both version. Hall sensors already has voltage divider with voltage selection on pcb. You doing not intended behaviour to use processor ADC which works by measuring voltage from 0 to REF which point is MCU power supply 3.3V. So you have to supply exact the same range 0 to 3.3v if you want to have full throttle range. or use voltage divider circuit like hall sensors do.

EDIT: hall sensors are not like potentiometers they work differently :wink:

What Iā€™m only saying is thisā€¦ Motor hall sensors donā€™t need voltage divider because a great majority, if not all of them, work on 4.5-20V, They are not designed to work at 3.3V, so 5V only will do just fine. That divider and switch on the motor halls connector is not needed, so why bother? From what you are saying, a processor that handles COMM pins needs 3.3V or less for processing, so a 3.3/5V divider and a switch would be great to have on a COMM plug. A 5V supply only is a step backwards, considering that VESC 4.12 has both. It is just common sense. I know that hall sensors operate on different principles than potentiometers. Thatā€™s a kindergarten stuff. it looks like there is no way around, so I will live with that. But, just in case I posted it on the VESC PROJECT forum, so if I know more I will be back. Persistence is my middle name. Right now I will focus on installing hall sensors in two of my 80mm motors.80mm%20motor%20hall%20sensors%201 80mm%20motors

Well I looked at your post at vesc forum and I can tell that you probably kindergarten level mindset if you think that changing code will change how microprocessor internals workā€¦ Go read how adc works in stm32 pageā€¦

And 4.12 and 6 mcu side and comm port is same. You hade 3.8V because of shitty vreg on your 4.12

I just solved that problem despite or maybe because of my kindergarten level mindset :-))) Also with the same mindset I designed and built a very efficient and compact, first of its kind transmission for an electric bicycle. (I attached photo so no BS here) You donā€™t stop digging into those codes. Letā€™s hope that you will find what you are looking for there.Cycloid%2019-1%202

11 Likes

I want that masterpiiiiiiiiece !!! :crazy_face: !!! :exploding_head: !! :heart_eyes: !

I tested with different cables, that works fine with my phone. And my USB driver is also the newest version. My PC works fine with every VESC 4.10 or 4.12. Also VESCs with different firmware versions work great. Only the VESC 6 wonĀ“t show any sign of life. I am helpless.

Try an other computer just to be sure it can only be the escape. If that not work you need to get an st v2 link and load the bootloader and firmware on this way. Strange as I thought @stewii is checking all of them before sending them out

1 Like

I had the same problem with my pcā€¦used my roommates and it worked fine

Just got 2 ESC from @stewii look good

So far ESCape is working great. I tested it with two 80 mm motors. In order to get more startup torque I will be installing hall sensors in my two motors. I made a few 120 deg mounting boards and I need only two . So, if you want to do something like that I have 3 extra boards that I can donate to the community for free. They are pre-drilled for .050" and .100" hall legs spacing. Five holes total, but you will need only three for each sensor.Hall%20sensors%20holders%202 I have two that are .030" thick and one .060" thick. Either thickness works fine.

4 Likes