HW6.4 based ESC - ESCape

My ebike is running off my self built ESCape. I’ve been doing lots of full throttles starts at 12s and 100a battery, so over 4kw. This is on foc too at 30khz switching frequency.

3 Likes

I think @trampa stated in a vesc thread that canbus was the way to go when splitting. It does make sense since gnd potential can be different and cause ground loops that fck stuff up. Might be an other reason here tho but groundloops can make many funny results :X

Not that many. looking at the figures it looks like the Focbox did solve a lot of these issues though, considering it was released roughly in the same time period as the VESC6.

would be nice to get more data once the group buy ESCapes are out though.

hello @stewii , here is 100 kms done with the vescape on the foraker and no problem to report. I wanted to thank you again for the great work you did.

4 Likes

Was it R0 or R1 that should be removed ?

@LukePL is this week, the big “dual housing week” :smile:

R1, should not be present in new batches

1 Like

I have two of the first Escapes ever made…

Yep :grin:

13 Likes

OMG… Dips on two double housing :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Made one of the enclosures as a test today. They do look great but I have one concern and that is how the PCB is only fixed by two M3 screws in one end. I can’t really torque them down either since the insulator pad is sitting under it. Do you use some kind of silicone to seat the rest and make sure vibrations doesn’t kill it @stewii ?

3 Likes

The picture I wanted to add didn’t get in so I’m trying a separate post. This is the M3 screws I’m worried about.

10 Likes

At the least you need to put a mess of neutral cure silicone (some use hot glue although it softens with heat) between the caps and the positive/negative 10AWG wires running in to the esc so vibration doesn’t kill them.

2 Likes

You can put paper washers (1mm height, depending the thickness of the thermal pad) between the housing and the PCB on those 2 internal M3 screws so the height will be the same as the FETs + thermal pad, that way you can torque the screws.

And also don’t forget what Cobber said.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. And to be clear this is me doing things I don’t know howto do so the vesc with case comming from @stewii will prolly be mounted as it should be :smiley:

What is the name of the plugs the board uses? I ordered various connector and now I don’t recall the name of the one that does fit on the balance connector. Need to order smt that fits the other ports as well ^^

Edit: From the bom it looks like Micro JST. Ordered these to see if they fit.

JST PHR, 2mm Pitch, 3 Way, 1 Row Female Connector Housing JST PHR, 2mm Pitch, 5 Way, 1 Row Female Connector Housing JST PHR, 2mm Pitch, 4 Way, 1 Row Female Connector Housing JST PHR, 2mm Pitch, 8 Way, 1 Row Female Connector Housing JST PHR, 2mm Pitch, 6 Way, 1 Row Female Connector Housing JST PH Crimp Terminal Contact, Female, 0.05mm² to 0.2mm², 30AWG to 24AWG, Tin Plating

Are there still some ESCape available as PCB Bare or fully assembled?

1 Like

Made a short “making of” movie for my ESCape cases. Design is by @stewii .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-xif0AYjOg

2 Likes

I got the same question but can’t PM @stewii to order. Is this a new user limitation?

@new @quitzu The only ESCape’s available now are the ones that were pre-ordered, if you have a ESCape coming your way some months ago you would have paid 85 pounds for each one and again recently you would have made a second payment.

If non of that applies to you, you missed the “group buy” and will need to wait for the next opportunity to arise. To all of the guys who desperately want one, think for a moment. PM’ing stewii will not get you one and will just make more work for stewii so it will take longer for him to fulfill this delivery and it will take even longer before he begins the next.

6 Likes

Got 2 PCBs and no Time/Parts thanks to Bimmer. EU (DE) Located

1 Like