HW6.4 based ESC - ESCape

@Eboosted got the same problem a few weeks ago… I just have a good memory and these issues are prone to happen with a design like this one, especially in a high vibration environment.

True that a picture I took from above.

5 Likes

It probably is true… because your battery probably has a broken series connection…or you have a broke cap…

This is a design problem, @stewii is now using hot glue to avoid the cap legs from breaking.

If the caps stop pissing-off the gangsters down the street, maybe they won’t keep having their legs broken.

10 Likes

Inboard had the same issue on their board with a heavy component in their board (“spole” in Norwegian… don’t know the English word). I fixed it with resoldering and applied glue to it so it didn’t shake loose again. I think they also glue it in now ^^ Easy spot to miss before something breaks :slight_smile:

an inductor maybe?

2 Likes

I think I’ll add an external Cap Board from a VESC 4.12 to the Escape and keep the 2 spots inside the aluminium housing empty. This way it cannot happen again. I do not trust hotglue or silicon to be honest.

Keep the wires short then. The voltage spikes amplifies with cable lenght and the main reason for those caps is protecting the components from those spikes if I’m not mistaken.

Exactly, prevents voltage sagging, but I prefer to install a short circuit preventor myself as any issues like a break in a capacitor line above if not discharged correctly will cause spike when re soldering.

I come back to my Smart Ring problem number 709 post and actually after shining the voltage divider bridge the smart ring works at the top. Thank you @Pimousse and @stewii for advice.

2 Likes

I’m more concerned with the spikes than the sag. These small caps can’t prevent sag but they can even out the peak the esc pwm generates when going off. This is my understanding of it so it might be way off :smiley:

@Manu39 @Pimousse where can I read more about Smart Ring? Very interesting stuff!

1 Like

@pimousse is the creator of the SR, an intelligent gauge based ARDUINO that informs in real time and choice of battery percentage, speed or temperature of the engine (s). here is the link of the project on the french forum: http://www.e-sk8.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2731

2 Likes

For nRF2.4 receiver on the PCB, Is it can meet all of the remote that sale on the market or just suitable for specify remote? thanks

You are right Sir, I stand corrected. Too small size, see https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=435335

@webst: to receive Roman’s Metr.at module. I made it plugged and set up as explained by Roman. at first it did not work on my iphon but worked on my ipad … actually on my iphone CanFwd was ON … and not on ipad. so I put on OFF and the miracle works … I am in double motor 130 kV / double ESCAPE / Lipo 12s 12A.

2 Likes

are there a 3d model of these vesc? Waiting on my preorder but want to design a small dual case for them

little review of ESCape by stewii: Saturday 21/04 the FORAKER finally ready to do its first turn of the wheel. I decided to make a night out of 12 km including 2 of mountain road … no problem during these 12 kms except a disconnection of metr.at that does not allow me to detail more this first exit.

2 Likes

They’re not vesc. They are based on VESC and compatible with VESC. VESC is a trademarked name

1 Like

Ok… Are there a 3d model of this VESC based VESC?

3 Likes