HW6.4 based ESC - ESCape

It’s really dead simple to take that resistor off, its not surrounded by components, just put a blob of solder on iron tip, apply to resistor and lift, resistor gone

4 Likes

And that’s how we went from too risky to dead simple. I like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

My babies all setup :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

Look what showed Up today :slight_smile:

27 Likes

Hey @stewii,

If you do have to change the design and want any modelling help or just some ideas and/or options, I’d be glad to help out if you need/want it… I have already looked at an option or two as I was originally thinking of getting just the controller and making my own case (have access to CNC machines and a decent 3D Printer at work).

Hows this for an option (more FOCBOX style)?:

• Rather than an Aluminium enclosure with PCB cover, have an Aluminium baseplate/heatsink with a plastic enclosure.
  • Smaller block of Aluminium and less machining required - should be cheaper.
  • Plastic enclosure could be 3D Printed for prototyping, potentially injection molded if going to China with a large enough batch size?
  • Silicone (or even 3D Printed TPU) cable gromets would be easy to integrate.

18 Likes

so jelly dude!

2 Likes

First roll on dual ESCape 11S :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Another option I was thinking I could try with 3D Pinted TPU, but would ideally be done with molded silicone…

• Even more compact Aluminium baseplate/heatsink
  • Flexible enclosure/cover slips over baseplate/heatsink, retained by undercut on plate and lip on cover
  • No fasteners needed (apart from 2 to hold down PCB
  • Smaller footprint
  • With the cover being flexible, wires could just be poked through during assembly.

I can keep the ideas coming @stewii, just let me know your thoughts or if you’ve got it all sorted. I just want to help ensure this product remains available for all of us!

16 Likes

Yeah!! keep your ideas coming, they are really good!

1 Like

Wow amazing work! I still need to digest all this info.

2 Likes

I no longer populate R1. Again I have never encountered any issue, but I guess that depends on the PC/laptop.

3 Likes

Those enclosures you came up with look fantastic!

1 Like

Cables are too stiff to put through holes like this. I think that slots should be better. Also most rounded aluminium edges in your project means more cnc work. Nevertheless great job!

1 Like

i like this idea as an added extra level of splash protection is never a bad thing

EDIT : carfeull tho there might be existing IP around this http://www.trampaboards.com/vesc-6-external-splash-proof-silicone-seal-for-cnc-heat-sink-box-p-24845.html

1 Like

Its a shame that the apparent solution to this problem is aesthetics! That being said, it appears to be a solution which its appealing, if somewhat unwarranted.

1 Like

I love your last design ! Almost let me forgot the dual enclosure, but a mix of this and the @LukePL dual looks like an evidence ! So many good idea there ! Keep going :+1:

@stewii if you do decide to change your enclosure, I like this one the most. Regardless, I’ll buy them anyway you choose, you could put it in between two slices of bread and I’ll be happy, lol. :wink:

1 Like

I prefer the other one, fight me

2 Likes

Haha, challenge accepted!

if this happens, how hard would it be to move things around and get the phase wires to be in the center for us OCD people? would that be enough change to bypass the BS…I mean IP issue