HW6.4 based ESC - ESCape

I modified the cases external dimensions to fit in my machine and am running a prototype in plastic to see how it comes out.

6 Likes

Yes, 100% compatible. I take a couple of weeks to deliver.

I have made some changes. Should be easier to make one, but I had to increase by 2mm the length, which means I will need to change the cover PCB as well. :cry:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uai3mpn7pgraje0/HW64_housing_1.1.step?dl=0

Yes, it is. Thanks for doing that, I was thinking 3D print the design before we move to aluminium.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgdrnrdylf28ddw/HW64_BOM.ods?dl=0

looks good :slight_smile: wish I had a CNC

3 Likes

So what is the expected performance of this esc? Would it be between the FOCBOX and the VESC 6 or would it be like the VESC 6

Question! How are you ensuring reliable direct connection between fets and case? Looks like those mounting holes would lever the fets off of the heatsink if tightened down. An additional mounting screw near the caps/power entrance tab would help eliminate this. Alternatively, is there a clamping mechanism to hold the fets and pcb tight to the heatsink?

Also, that diode and cap look uncomfortably close to the fet and its heatsink.

I think alot of these issues can be alleviated with minor changes to the heatsink.

Do u know the appropriate height of the fets + solder? I would like to add a raised section around the screw holes to the model I’m working on to correct this.

Would it be possible to make it watertight? It would be awesome if there was no need for an enclosure.

Similar to VESC6.

I use thermal tape on the FETs which does that job and stop them with shorting with anything else.
I don’t see any problem with cap and diode being there, parts don’t move and there is thermal tape in between.

FETs and solder - 0.7mm Thermal tape on top 0.3mm

2 Likes

Can I already order PCBs from you? :slight_smile:

@stewii you have a link for the thermal tape?

very good thanks!

Not sure why you want this but https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/122119O/3m-thermally-conductive-adhesive-transfer-tapes-8800-series.pdf

The new cover PCB arrived today, it might need some changes depending on the housing…

8 Likes

Here’s a pic of the case prototype I milled for science.

I would need to change the clamping in the machine to fit the corners of the cover. For the prototype I just rounded them to fit my system and moved the holes in 5mm.

1 Like

4 Likes

Please @stewii make a video of your board running your VESC.

I know this is too much but if you could make a video of the VESC running on inclines and surpassing the 60k limit without frying the DRV, I and everyone i here would be pretty excited

6 Likes

I’ve got PCBs on the way, will try it on my 6374s but ultimately going to my carvon v4xl build in January😋

3 Likes

Can’t wait for it @scepterr. Those will go on my Trampa 12s 6384s

1 Like

What’s awesome is I only need a handful of new components on top of 4.12 bom, and I have all the upgraded caps already too :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi stewii, please may I buy a PCB off you and the stencil files? I’d like to reflow up your board and have most of the components already from VESC4. I’m UK based. How can I PM you?

to PM, click on his username and then click ‘Message’.

I dont think he will be able as he is new user lvl

1 Like