HW6.4 based ESC - B-box

So whats the legal situation on making these are they open source or not?

I did some research/math and for 500 of them the costs are for BOM 27000$, assembly 3000$, PCB 2500$, Aluminum Case $4000 Wires and connectors $2500. All in all about 39000$ about 78$ per controller. While I would have to talk to my wife before taking such a large amount out of savings the return seems rather quick and plentiful. Considering most Direktfets are sold out until the middle of the year I doubt all those focboxes people ordered will ship soon…and the Bom for 500 is in my cart waiting 100% stocked. E-teknet in AZ say they can have them done in 10 days after receiving all parts. And 3d hubs can have the housings done and shipped next week.

Lets say I would sell these at a moderate 130$ + tax(5.6%)=137$ I am pretty sure they’d sell out in a month.

Cheaper than a Focbox and made in the USA.

To gather for People not wanting to weed through the whole thing.

I am making 50 Hw6.4 clones designed by @stewii, they will come with a Cover PCB a plastic body and an Aluminum Heat sink. I am in the phase of the project where all parts are ordered.

2 Likes

@Deckoz @pshaw

You know, the math sounds good. My concern is when for what ever reason there is an issue during the process and your left with 500 paper weights that need more investment to get them to a reliable and more importantly, sellable state. Not that this would happen, but it could. And asking the wife for more out of our savings to fix something like that seems… dangerous?

But on another note, freaking do it, I’ll buy some.

10 Likes

Why would you have to do that? You make it seem like your going to spend $40k or something

7 Likes

I am less concerned that the Controllers won’t work and more with being sued by trampa :smiley:

5 Likes

Whats about the reject goods as output while the esamply from the stuff? Maybe you should also add some buffer in your calculation.

She’ll let me buy another BMW before she’d let me make an investment in “skateboards we don’t need”

7 Likes

I would start with 50 or less to make sure everything is sound, give them a few months, see if they hold up or if you have complaints coming in from customers. If all is well place your order for 500 and you’ll already have made about $2600 in the process which will offset some of that huge initial cost.

5 Likes

Valid concern. I’m a worried about everything when talking about that kind of investment…

4 Likes

Weeeell… i would take the bmw :grin:

1 Like

The Boards seem sound so far and I will be testing them more. Considering I hand soldered them and they are running and running in foc at 245KV and 260KV at 12s 3 battery charges so far everything that toasted my 4.12over and over. I will order an initial 10 from the factory and give them to friends to test. But 500 seems to be the sweet spot between availability, risk and earning. Sadly the normal Mosfets are sold out so I’ll have to use Automotive ones that can dissipate about 200w more heat but also cost about 33% more.

4 Likes

Those would probably be preferable anyway. I would buy your product over Trampa’s knowing you’re using better FETs, since those can cause some of the worst problems on these boards. If you have faith in your PCB manufacturer, I say go for it. I’m unsure how to deal with the rights to the design or anything, but if you’re square in the legal section it’s a solid idea. If you end up going through with it, let me know I’ll buy some and I we can probably work out some kind pricing with you and customers if you want to refer warranty repairs and such to me!

4 Likes

I’m confused are you making your own PCB or wanting to get @stewii’s manufactured in bulk?

Whatever Is easiest he already said he’d sell his to me in bulk I assumed a price that seems appropriate for that amount. But could also have my own made.

1 Like

I like this plan.

1 Like

This approach taken from a whiteboard release could have you meeting mr. Lawyer I’m wonder when vesc6 design will be officially released as much as I like your proposal I wouldn’t be sinkyin life savings just yet

My concern exactly. But life savings is a big word.

This here sounds like a great solution to the current lack of offerings

2 Likes

Depends on what you do, main problem with “VESC6 Trampa edition” is the trademark. Nothing stops you from taking the schematics, making your PCB by yourself, having it full blown compatible with VESC-Tool without mods. As long as either you pay for trademark and call it VESC 6 with Ben’s approval, or you name it differently and state “based on…” or “compatible with…”

This way you’re out of pursuit boundaries cause it still originates from an open-source project and not a patented closed project.

BTW, as @stewii has proven, you don’t need the reference design to get a quality piece of hardware made. A wonrg turn somewhere was taken in the course of VESC, and I believe people like stewii and you, and even Jason with FOCBOX will take it back to the right path.

You guys just need to make things fair for the people who will buy your stuff.

7 Likes

I honestly don’t think its that cut and dry if I did I would have a 27k mouser order on its way… lol