HUB vs BELT - Whats the latest?

You could also copy/paste that 2pac is still alive, doesn’t make it true. I can also hardly take anything in this seriously… read the bold text, they contradict themselves. Also they could do with some English lessons if this is from a text book of some kind.

Everything can stretch, it’s basic physics. Even timing chains stretch. Best way for you to learn this is go buy a chainsaw and cut into dirt for 10 minutes, then go cut wood for the next hour and see how loose the chain becomes.

It’s like the common misconception of only highly conductive materials conduct electricity, when in fact everything can conduct electricity just a matter of how much and how efficiently it can do it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know it sucks to feel so adamant about something that isn’t true…Lots of fake news out there these days. The only reason people here think belts stretch is because bad info perpetuates itself through a mass of board builders on this forum with little to no mechanical experience. Repetition of bad info becomes familiar information.

With all due respect, check your sources.

Timing belts do not stretch, they are not elastic. I’ve got belts that have 500 Mike’s on them and the are the exact same length. Maybe ragged on the edges and ugly, but no stretching.

2 Likes

Read the whole sentence…Don’t pick and choose.

My sources are the hundreds of years of physics that the human race has learned mate? Your’s is some random post on the internet about how to build a drive system?

They do, I’m not saying the remain stretched, it’s a fact of how matter works in the universe, there’s also formulas that exist in physics for this very matter :slight_smile: I think (can’t remember) that the same formula or at least the same guy came up with the formula for compression too

Mate don’t be cocky, I read the whole post, I bolded the part that was applicable, if you feel I took it out of context sorry, it’s how it read to me. But you should note you’ve not quoted the whole sentence yourself.

1 Like

You are free to think what you want, but they do NOT stretch. If you stretch a timing belt 1/8in, you have a broke belt.

If you are saying they stretch in a micro measurement, so does stainless steel and therefore not applicable to the discussion .

If you run them to tight they wear the bearings in the motor out. That wouldn’t happen if they stretch. The usability of a timing belt depends on them NOT stretching. I’ve build a few 304s and 360s that I def don’t want belts stretching on.

The part wasn’t applicable because if you read the whole sentence it says it isn’t stretch as much as weak components. I’m not being cocky at all. This is what being right sounds like.

…But physics Mike. Buuuut physics

1 Like

Physics be damned, my belts better not stretch :grinning:. If they start stretching I’m gonna blame @racidon.

1 Like

I’d be willing to bet it would snap before 1/8 inch, but you’re talking about a post that I replied that mentioned if the belt was unable to snap as shown in the quote above.

keep being smart and you’ll never learn a thing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Self diagnose much?

Just found this article essentially comes down to the stretch creates minimal loss in efficiency but leads to belt wear if there is excessive stretching/tension (not really news to anyone I’m sure).

http://www.machinedesign.com/technologies/pushing-belt-drive-efficiency

1 Like

To clarify and this is based on my time with cars and esk8 a timing belt can “stretch”(don’t chew my head off keep reading), most timing belts are made with fiberglass fibers, which can break giving off the appearance of stretching however this would occur at very high rpms or too much belt tention if this was the case though you wouldnt have much time to realize it before the belt broke. But to answer his question more directly about belts stretching, no they do not nor should they under proper alignment. As for physics not sure what you are referring to but it might be the appearance of stretching at higher Rpms?

Exactly, no one was really even talking about it, they got their knickers in a knot when a hypothetical question was asked that spoke about a belt that would never be able to snap. I’m sure if people could be bothered and they searched Poisson’s Ratio and belts they’d likely find something new to learn about.

1 Like

Stretching and thinning? You don’t think the automotive industry thought that one through?! Seriously?

I’m glad you’re not building boards…Oh wait!

Your time would be better spent researching mate. Even companies that sell the fibers that make belts so resistant (note that word it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist) go on about how they are extremely resistant to stretching.

I’m on the timing belts don’t stretch side…I’ve repped almost 10 different lines of belts including Gates, Goodyear, Carlisle, etc…they’re designed not to stretch at all before failure

1 Like

I think it would be different. Imagine grabbing a tube with your 2 finger and try to rotate it; then do the same with all 5 fingers. I think we rotate better with more contact area.