Hub motor in a pneumatic tire

I have a pair of those chinese hub motor tires. About 20cm diameter, 350W per wheel, and that is not enough to climb even 20 degree hills. And they weight 3kg each. I imagine those 500W would also be as bad. Smaller the tire diameter, the less power is needed to climb.

I guess it mainly depends on what motor you’re using. I’m not sure how most hub motors are mounted these days (square mounting hole?), but if you’re talking about adapting a scooter motor you might need to do a little redesigning. That’s why I thought it might be easier to try to fit an existing outrunner motor inside the space of the hub.

Just found this:

I could possibly try to find a way to scale it up to fit a trampa hub.

1 Like

Guckst du hier… lever is jerry btw, not his board however, he just start the discussion;)

Ugh OMG I literally spent months thinking about doing exactly what he’s done in that video. I figured since the width of the motors requires you to have to machine a special hanger to mount a motor onto the axle, why not use larger wheels, and then mount a very large diameter, short width, multi-rotor motor to the axle… Everyone I mentioned my idea too all told me it wouldn’t be nearly powerful enough though… Well damn, I guess IT CAN BE DONE! Damn, I gotta rethink some things now…

And they are very low KV and have plenty of pole pairs…

Ben Chiu hase done hubs on a Trampa back in 2015:

1 Like

Anyone know which motors those are and what kv? How did he attach them to the wheel. Was he able to just remove the shaft and slide it onto the axle, or were modifications made? That board looks incredible… Wonder what kinda torque and top speed that thing can pull… Really really nice looking build.

1 Like

It’s plug and play, already keyways machined into trampa trucks and all motors, it’s all the same… i hope you get the sarcasm.

If you really wanna do this, be prepared to spend 3-5k$, and have access to propper metallworking machines.

1 Like

Lol, yes I detected the sarcasm… It was hard though, being so subtle about it, haha ;p

custom everything… 4 wheel drive. You will get a better performance using a 63mm Outrunner and some belts or gears.

That’s probably true, but still I like the design of that MTB enough to want to build one when I can afford to.

Depends on what you want doing, for normal mountainboard usage (hillclimbing/offroadaction) a transmission will probably be better. If you’re just coasting on flat streets, the hub wins. If you feel being a crazy scientist the hub also wins.

1 Like

I like all of those scenarios…

Has anyone used this APS 10850 hub motor, or know anyone who has?

2 Likes

Because the gummies are figments of imagination.

1 Like

Maybe you need to spend less time thinking and more time doing. :joy:

I’m on my second/third rev of DD large enough for pneumatics. I haven’t done hub motors because of most motors under $600 don’t have a second support bearing and custom making motors isn’t something I’m interested in.

I could fit pneumatics on my dd but I don’t see the appeal of spending 300+ on wheels.

Yeah I saw on the site it said no longer available… I wonder how difficult it would be to make something similar to Gummies… And they could be made so a hub motor could be bolted in no problem!

Essentially every hub motor on the market is like gummies… without the wheel hub in between…just gummies on motor can… But not a gummie…just thane…

Well that is why I’d say these are more meant to be used on MTB’s since they’ll already be spending that on wheels.

I’ve spent more on urethane in a year then rubber for three cars in 4 years…

Urethane = skate gold

2 Likes